Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it with some companies? I wanted to buy a a simple precision oiler. You know the type, little plastic bottle with a long syringe like applicator on it, so I could get to those hard to reach places. Cheap in the USA but extemely hard to find here. I know the postage would be around $2.50US to send to Oz but nope! Overseas is a minimum 40% of the total merchandise value with a $35US minimum! That would mean a $3.00 bottle would cost me $38US!!! I ended up buying a bottle in a hobby shop that was full of bearing oil for remote control cars. It cost $15AUS. The oil is of no use to me. Another example was I bought a set of digital scales for reloading. Quoted $65 postage. I had it sent to a mate who forwarded it onto me. Grand total in postage $30US (including insurance) and in that parcel I had a holster sent as well so it wasnt that light. One last example. I purchased some taillights for a mate. Quoted $120US postage. He wanted them and I said it was a rip off. They arrived and the postage was $44US including insurance.
I dont mind paying a reasonable price for postage. I know someone has to pack it and then take it to the post office etc but come on an extra $76 for packaging! Get real. I think a lot of companies are losing money just for this reason alone. I am looking at CED timers now. $149US, $325 here but if the postage is that much its still cheaper than buying here but I wont pay that postage and I dont like asking the mate to keep sending me things. He has to pay for postage out of his own pocket until I can Wester Union him the money and dont Western Union know how to charge fees!
Rant mode off now.
Stay Cool except for your barrel of your XD 8)
Mulder

·
Registered
725 Posts
what do you expect?
first they send all the criminals to AUS
now this..
you need to start a revolution.. its that simple

where do u think USA / Pres Bush get all this money to setup things like 9/11 and the big tsunami... faking natural disaster aint cheap

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Postage overseas is ridiculous. My buddy does some importing, and has a special UPS box that is max 25 kilo, and that costs like 150 from thailand.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Postage isn't the problem. US Dept. of Commerce and US Dept. of State are the problem. With each shipment, one must have a license to export, must declare *all* portions of a particular shipment through customs, and must then reverse the process through import to the country in question.

Add to this that neither Commerce nor State are terribly firearms-friendly, neither one can help you with the other, and they have no consistent publication to notify exporters of changes in regulation.

Exporting is extremely difficult. Generally cost per transaction is about ten times to thirty times (depending on the country and the goods in question) the domestic cost.

Sorry you had such trouble there.

T

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
True cost is one thing, risk is another. There have been times where we will ship a product to Europe, Canada, and elsewhere, and the box will go missing. Customs is another barrier, as they feel a need to block items whether they are restricted or not.

Old School

1 - 5 of 5 Posts