Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found out I have ( for me ) plenty of everything except the AK SGAmmo taking care of that now, and 62 gr 5.56NATO for my DSA M4gery and RA.
Butz I have a question: IS the green tip now fully legal ( albeit despised by ranges )?
Just looking for reliable, accurate ( not match grade ) spit-hits-the-spam ammo at a good price???

·
Registered
29,575 Posts
Found out I have ( for me ) plenty of everything except the AK SGAmmo taking care of that now, and 62 gr 5.56NATO for my DSA M4gery and RA.
Butz I have a question: IS the green tip now fully legal ( albeit despised by ranges )?
Just looking for reliable, accurate ( not match grade ) spit-hits-the-spam ammo at a good price???
Federally, it's legal; I have no idea if some states look askance at it, though.

Personally? While I have a couple cases of M855, I’ve found I get much better accuracy out of M193 (55gr BT) in all of my barrel twists...and at close range, M193 will go through level 3 plates or less just as well as M855. It’s usually cheaper, you don’t have to sweat if ranges allow it or not, and actually has better terminal performance to boot.

But, if you want the green tips...PMC X-Tac performs well for me, as well as PPU...the best I’ve found was some surplus SS109 (same as M855, just the NATO designation) out of...Latvia? Lithuania? One of those Baltic states that joined NATO...that was really accurate. I still have a few hundred rounds of that in the cache, come to think of it...

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmmm, I know you don't want to shoot 62gr in a slow barrel ( my wonderful WOO ) but it's A-ok to shoot 55 in a 1 in 9 barrel?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hmmmmm, I know you don't want to shoot 62gr in a slow barrel ( my wonderful WOO ) but it's A-ok to shoot 55 in a 1 in 9 barrel?
You’ll be just fine shooting 55gr in the common barrel twists (1:7, 1:8, 1:9). And yes, for heavier bullets, you’ll want a faster twist, but it won’t be the end of the world if you shoot M855 in a 1:9 barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29,575 Posts
Yep.

In fact, 1:9 is often considered the optimum twist for most 55gr bullets.

And I’ve seen 62gr work fine out of a 1:12 twist Colt SP1, so even then...I think a lot of twist rate “common knowledge” is a pile of bovine excrement.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that's cool guys!
I remember shooting the 62s in my woo ( 1 in 12 iirc ) and even at 100yds I saw keyholing, so now I can just bulk-up on 55gr and run it through everything :).

·
Registered
45 Posts
As others have already stated, the round is legal, though Hussein and his flunkies tried to outlaw it and, thankfully, failed. That said, and if you shoot at a public range rather some private property, you do need to check with them. My outdoors range does not allow M885 rounds, and I am now sitting on 1,500 collecting dust. Or a SHTF time, if it ever comes to that.

But do check with your range, for sure. I know of no indoors range that allows the round, not sure if any outdoors one does, here in Vegas none do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts