Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I have been looking for a good ambi charge handle and really like the one from Troy but the thing has said "coming soon" for months. I have contacted troy a few times and they keep replying with "it should be available soon, but we do not have a specific ETA.

so, is there any others?

all the others I see are labeled as ambi but only seem to have the release pull where your finger goes on the right side, not both like the Troy.

am I missing something? I need to be able to hit the release from either side

thanks in advance

here is a pic for reference of the Troy I am waiting on to be available.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
Are you looking to do this b/c you're left handed?

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you looking to do this b/c you're left handed?
Kind of........

Due to an industrial accident, I can't close my left eye with out closing my right. Its hard to shoot with both eyes closed. :)

So, I shoot pistol right handed, but rifle left handed.

Plus I like the idea of having everything ambi on my rifle. The charging handle is the only thing left (no pun intended) that isn't ambi.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
Kind of........

Due to an industrial accident, I can't close my left eye with out closing my right. Its hard to shoot with both eyes closed. :)

So, I shoot pistol right handed, but rifle left handed.

Plus I like the idea of having everything ambi on my rifle. The charging handle is the only thing left (no pun intended) that isn't ambi.
I know a guy who can give you a left side charging handle. He mills out the side of the upper and you're good to go. My dad had this done on his rifle because he's left handed. Here's a pic:

If you're interested I'll PM you the gunsmiths info.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Do you pull your charging handle with one finger or two? The good old US Army taught me to use two fingers. Doesn't matter whether you're right-handed or left handed.

Also, you might try shooting with both eyes open. It takes a little getting used to but works pretty well.

Just some thoughts ....

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you pull your charging handle with one finger or two? The good old US Army taught me to use two fingers. Doesn't matter whether you're right-handed or left handed.

Also, you might try shooting with both eyes open. It takes a little getting used to but works pretty well.

Just some thoughts ....
I normally can pull with 2, but in the case of a FTE or FTF, just raising up my right hand and using one finger while stick tucked in my shoulder would be great, that's why I like the Troy Design.

Both eyes open? Hmmm, sounds like a long day at the range, but I'm game to try it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know a guy who can give you a left side charging handle. He mills out the side of the upper and you're good to go. My dad had this done on his rifle because he's left handed. Here's a pic:

If you're interested I'll PM you the gunsmiths info.
That's a sweet Mod, Ill send a PM in a bit, not sure if it will be ideal for me, but if the price is right, I wouldn't be opposed to trying it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
20 Posts
the badger looks like it might work......

thanks for the links

I will probably order it this week
Did you ever order it? Just curious... picked up my first AR this weekend and will be looking for a LH or Ambi charging handle down the road.

·
Registered
155 Posts
ALCM Charging handle Ambi

The link on larue is no longer good, here is the ALCM handle at brownells. I have it it works great for me.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Huh? What the heck? Just grab the thing with two fingers and it works. Isn't that how you're supposed to do it anyway? I fire left by default, but use my right hand on the charging handle. Never had a problem with it. If the release were on the right side instead of the left, I would never have given it a second thought.

·
Registered
99 Posts
FWIW, I've been firing M16 variants since 1983, left-handed, and have no clue what it would be like to use anything other than the stock charging handle. I couldn't even tell you what my technique is, but it can't be too hard (cuz I'm a leftie, after all ;) ).

Also, as another poster suggested, shooting both eyes open is the way to go . Don't waste your time at the range, work on dry-firing with it. Best way to start to learn is with a cover over your shooting glasses on your non-firing side. Once you can dry-fire comfortably with the cover and both eyes open, take it off, and keep working until you get the hang of it. The more you work at it, the easier it gets, until you can consciously focus on which eye you're "looking" out of. Taught this skill by a guy who coached shooting to biathletes at the OTC as a way to improve accuracy by reducing muscle tension in the face. Turns out, it's also a great for acquiring targets without breaking your cheek-to-stock weld or sight picture--just switch eyes!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts