Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just wondering is there is any XD/XDM with ambi safety lever out there?

And is there any compact 3.8 in .45 ACP?

·
Registered
715 Posts
manual thumb safety is an option on the xd 45 and they are ambi.

haven't seen or heard of a xdm with a thumb safety yet, wouldn't be surprised it was out there or under development.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
manual thumb safety is an option on the xd 45 and they are ambi.

haven't seen or heard of a xdm with a thumb safety yet, wouldn't be surprised it was out there or under development.
I would be very surprised if they came out with an XD(M) with a thumb safety.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I would be very surprised if they came out with an XD(M) with a thumb safety.
you'd be surprised to see SA competing for market share with the M&P by adding a thumb safety that is already used in the frame the xdm architecture is based on?

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Yes, I would be suprised at another thumb safety model. The thumb safety was added to one model of XD45 4". Mostly for a contract bid requirement. Never put on any other model or caliber. Not a popular option. The grip safety is fully ambidexterous and all that is really needed - and more than some other pistols offer.
Maybe, if another big contract came open with that as a requirement. As far as needing more market share, first they have to have production start to exceed their current sales and any other new model plans. Haven't seen where XD's are sitting unsold or have needed major price drops to boost sales. So why go for a nitch market gimmick?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yes, I would be suprised at another thumb safety model. The thumb safety was added to one model of XD45 4". Mostly for a contract bid requirement. Never put on any other model or caliber. Not a popular option. The grip safety is fully ambidexterous and all that is really needed - and more than some other pistols offer.
Maybe, if another big contract came open with that as a requirement. As far as needing more market share, first they have to have production start to exceed their current sales and any other new model plans. Haven't seen where XD's are sitting unsold or have needed major price drops to boost sales. So why go for a nitch market gimmick?
didn't say I thought it was a good idea, just wouldn't be surprised. why go for the niche market? wouldn't be the first time they've done it, how many colors is the xd coming in now? a custom shop, sight options, barrel lengths, frame sizes, .45gap, the xdm in general, they are all aimed at a niche markets, hell the xdm is already up to 3 variants not counting slide finish and frame color. most of the engineering and development is already done making it fairly low cost. not to mention it appeals to a demographic that usually has money to buy. manual safeties are offered on competing designs. even glock has been known to make offerings to niche markets like the single stack g36, the SF line, discontinued od green models, gen4 dual spring system is a guide rod bandwagon jump. production isn't an issue as SA doesn't manufacture, HS may be already offering it to other markets.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Yeah, I missed the 5" model, knew it had been produced but didn't see it on a quick glance of the site for current models - it is still there. But sort of like the XD in 45GAP, HS offered it but a sizeable market never developed. Don't see that being offered in the newer XDm line. Economics of production costs plus marketing vs expected sales market indicate it just doesn't pay to pursue minor % interests when your total production of mainstream product is currently selling out. When sales flatten and no other large market segment is left, then go and backfill the next easiest niches (& thanks for the SP correction). Sure SA is only a distrubutor and not the producer but with US sales accounting for something over 95% of the total HS production, market research conducted here is going to be the major driver of near future design. But really, from here it is all a guessing and wait game as to what direction HS intends to head next. Over-expansion overhead can be a killer if there is a market shift. To be sure someone over there is also watching where our political climate, import policy and economics are headed as part of the what next game. There are several product directions that I would like to see developed in the future but I can only wait for what comes.
Maybe the XDm 45acp in 3.8, then the compact. Good discussion but done speculating for now.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you guys!!!

I'll see if I can wait a little longer to see if they come out with XDMc 3.8 in .45 ACP then. Hopefuly we'll hear something this year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts