Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Madison Alabama, which is nestled up to Huntsville. We have a really great gun store here called Larrys Gun & Pawn. They are the biggest gun shop I've seen around here and sell both new and used and have a great selection, both new and used. Pistols, shotguns, rifles and just about anything else you can think of. I would guess they probably have over a thousand firearms in the place. :lol: To put it in perspective, they have over 300 used 9mm pistols. And they do move the guns. People come from all around to shop & shoot there.

I moved back to AL just over a year ago and began stopping in to this shop on average about every other week. I enjoy looking over the inventory and hope to get a good deal on a used XD9, even though their new prices are quite good.

So over the past year, I have only observed one XD of any caliber in the used inventory. It was a sweet XD 9mm Bitone @90% that they were asking $355, but they will always haggle (even on new weapons). Sad to say, I hesitated a bit too long. :cry:

That just speaks volumes to me. Only one XD in over 12 months, yet they have multiple Glocks, S&Ws, Rugers, Berettas, 1911s, etc.. And they really nice guys that work there have attested to me that they sell quite a good number of new XDs, but nobody wants to give them up.

I know this isn't news to most of you, but I just wanted to put it out there and hear what you all have to say.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
NO JAMES! Not that thread again!

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Sounds like a great store, I wish there was something like that around here.

Used guns are interesting. I've seen some people come into a gunshop with a pistol in the factory box. They want to trade it in without ever having put 1 round through it. Finicky? Confused? not sure, but I can understand what they are going through. I have things I have bought 10 years ago and never shot it. I've got that "one of these days" syndrome :?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yes. ROLLLL Tiiiiiiiiide!

:D :wink:

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's the same here in California. Before I decided on buying my XD sub, I wanted to rent one to see how it shot. I drove to the local range only to find out that they do not have any XD's for rent (and they have quite a large selection). When I asked why, they told me "We have to buy all of our range guns. All the guns we have for rent were either returns or were "used" guns that were traded in for something else. We have not met anyone willing to part with an XD yet."

That day, I bought my XD-9 SC.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Same here...gun shop owner said when one does come in (which is rare) it doesn't stay long. I used to live in B' ham...Roll Tide!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
who here would give up one of thier XD's?? not me

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just bought a sig 226 9mm and as much as i like it,i wouldnt give up my XD.A guy wanted to trade me my XD for his HK usp 40 stainless even up,i turned him down.I think the XD is a fine pistol and reliable and accurate.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I like the XD myself,but try to bear in mind that there are about 100,000 Glocks, Berettas, Rugers...etc. to every XD. Again it's a fine gun with some minor production problems that still need some attention,rust,reliability issues,etc. These are more of a quality control issue than anything else(they are made in croatia you know) and in time I have good faith that with it's success these "bugs" will be a thing of the past.Springfield would be well advised to try to keep the prices as low as possible though.These recent price increases cause the XD to go head to head with more established products,this is not good. :(

·
Registered
178 Posts
Texas, and hell no, my XD will only leave me for a week or so after I have the money to send it to canyon creek, then it will STAY with me!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
ajamesp51 said:
Woo hoo us Alabamins are multiplying.
Can't leave your sisters alone huh? :twisted:

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I also notice trends in used guns at shops near me. Lots of Glocks and Berettas and the various S&W 9mms. I used to own one of each...I know why they're now in a case at the gunshop! (I bought a Hi-Power and suddenly, all other 9mms were obsolete).

I don't notice too many XDs, period, in the used gun cases.

I too would never give up my XD-40. I know others bitch about rust or feed jams, but I cannot get this thing to rust or malfunction to save my life. You gotta hang onto a pistol that has a track record like that.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey Gadget,

I ended up having to buy a new one from Larry's because they didn't have any used xd's. Another gun that you won't hardly find used, at least at Larry's, is the GP100. I've been going in there for almost 10yrs and I've never seen a used one in the case.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had an oppurtunity to trade my XD40 for a Sig 225 awhile back and almost pulled the trigger on the deal but just couldn't bring myself to part with it. I beleive the guy that wanted to trade was doing it because he had sold his XD40 and regretted it and now was trying to replace it. It was very tempting.. So much so that I went out and a couple of weeks later bought my first Sig. it is a NIB P245 ilaflon, awesome pistol I love it.

I have only seen 1 used XD at the gun shop locally and I bought it on the spot for my Dad, an XD9 with 2 10rnd mags & 2 hi caps( he threw them in to sweeten the deal)that looked unfired and when I asked the guy about it he said it was bought for a lady who shot 2 mags (20 rounds)thru it and decided it was to big and she traded it for an XDSC. $350 out the door. Haven't seen anything but NIB XD's there since and I stop there weekly.

·
Registered
197 Posts
:? Just last month, I traded a beautiful! XD-9SC for a GP-100 short-grip,....was gonna buy a S&W mt.gun, but took one look at the mighty .357 med-frame Ruger and I had to have it.

The XD-40 servise OD was my 1st handgun,....then the 9-sub,...I'll miss that pistol!

(fantastic photo by DHART)

That said,...I felt like a brilliant marksman with that XD-9 subby,....don't know why,...it just went where ever I wanted it to hit,...AMAZING!

I want a sub-XD in one of the bigger caibers,....hold'n out for the XD-45LE subcompact,......when ever they make it,.....probably January/2006,...I know it's comming,...........it's got to,............I want one!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts