Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been carrying concealed for too long and I'm trying to figure out if I really have a problem, or I'm just being too self conscious. I carry an XD40SC in a Tucker Heritage IWB. It is very comfortable and totally concealed when I'm standing straight up. As soon as I bend at the waist though, it pokes right through my shirt. Now, I know I should squat when picking things up etc., but sometimes I bend slightly while sitting or leaning over a counter or something. In your experience, do most people ever notice slight "printing" or are they just dumb to it. Since I haven't carried for too long, I feel like it sceams "I have a gun on!!" but no one seems to have ever noticed. So, will this feeling pass with experience, or do I need to find a different way to carry?

·
Registered
237 Posts
well one way to test it is to wear it around friends who dont know that you have it... do your normal routine in sitting and bending. at the end of the day or time spend, ask them if they noticed anything.... more than likely your just a lil paranoid about someone seeing it, and you only see it cause you are looking for it... as time passes you will get more comfortable with it and not even really think about it..... I was at loading the back of my truck with groceries the other day and my shirt rose up totally exposing my XD.... there was a lady there with her kid looking directly at me and Im pretty sure she didnt even notice the gun....

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think everyone feels this way when they first start carrying. It's a natural reaction to carrying a concealed weapon in a society which often frowns on the practice.

Most people will not notice if you have a slight print of a pistol butt, especially if your cover garment is a solid color (stay away from compilicated patterns, such as checks/plaids, which do show bulges.) With all the cellphone holsters worn these days, I don't think people really pick up on minor printing.

With time, you will get used to carrying and the self concious feeling will fade.

Just wait till you have to stroll by police officers with a concealed pistol. That will make you self conscious! Thing is, they never notice either. :)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I might catch heat for this but I don't really care if someone sees my pistol. I am in a state that accepts open or concealed carry. I carry concealed but occasionally my shirt will come up over my pistol exposing it....so what. It's not like I stand in traffic waving it around while jumping on car hoods.
If someone wants to be a horses ass and call the police then I will show them my permit and be on my way.
I was at a gas station and the attendant said "I'll be right with you officer." to me....What? I looked him in the eye and said "Why would you think I was a police officer?" He sort of looked down and back up and then didnt say anything..I just laughed.
I am 5 foot 9, kind of long hair, stubbly face, stocky build, earrings, t-shirt and jeans type of guy.....I guess he thought I was undercover. :roll: :lol:
As long as you are legal don't worry about it. Don't be ashamed that you carry a gun.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
DJDan said:
I might catch heat for this but I don't really care if someone sees my pistol. I am in a state that accepts open or concealed carry. I carry concealed but occasionally my shirt will come up over my pistol exposing it....so what. It's not like I stand in traffic waving it around while jumping on car hoods.
If someone wants to be a horses ass and call the police then I will show them my permit and be on my way.
I was at a gas station and the attendant said "I'll be right with you officer." to me....What? I looked him in the eye and said "Why would you think I was a police officer?" He sort of looked down and back up and then didnt say anything..I just laughed.
I am 5 foot 9, kind of long hair, stubbly face, stocky build, earrings, t-shirt and jeans type of guy.....I guess he thought I was undercover. :roll: :lol:
As long as you are legal don't worry about it. Don't be ashamed that you carry a gun.
I'm with you on the this and we have an open carry law here too. The bad part is, we also have this crime called "inducing panic". From what I understand, if someone sees me carrying and expresses a concern for their safety, I just induced panic. pretty stupid huh? No whats dumber than that is...we have to keep our gun on our person, exposed, while traveling in or on a motor vehicle. Ohwell, you have to take the bad with the good I guess.

One time the wife and I walked into a local mall, I was carrying and SOME of the malls entrances are marked, NO WEAPONS. She wanted me to run it back out to the car but I refused. Who would notice anyways, right? Every freaking PD in a 3 county area was there for some crime prevention week display thing. Well, I made it all through the mall and out without anyone noticing. i do remember sweating a bit though...lol. Carrying in a posted area in Ohio is a trespass ticket if caught.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Of course, your state hass to have an open carry law.

Many states do not. In Florida it's a crime to openly carry or for your weapon to break concealment and it could cost you your CWP. That said, there is no FL case law for accidentally displaying a pistol which is being legally carried concealed.

State by state YMMV.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The guy who posted the question is from Texas.... you cannot even show a print of the gun here.... if it were open carry, i wouldnt worry so much about it either..... even though I am a cop... I still prefer that people dont know Im carrying when im off duty....

·
Registered
143 Posts
qballwill said:
The guy who posted the question is from Texas.... you cannot even show a print of the gun here.... if it were open carry, i wouldnt worry so much about it either..... even though I am a cop... I still prefer that people dont know Im carrying when im off duty....
They were pretty firm in the CHL class here in Texas that you don't want to be printing, especially if there is a cop present from one of the "non-friendly" CHL communities like mine here in Plano. In fact, because of this I'm going to get a smaller gun than the XD40 for most carry situations, the XD40 Service is just a bit big for what I wear/how I've been able to carry it. Keltec P3AT is on the Xmas wishlist :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pdjplano said:
qballwill said:
They were pretty firm in the CHL class here in Texas that you don't want to be printing, especially if there is a cop present from one of the "non-friendly" CHL communities like mine here in Plano. In fact, because of this I'm going to get a smaller gun than the XD40 for most carry situations, the XD40 Service is just a bit big for what I wear/how I've been able to carry it. Keltec P3AT is on the Xmas wishlist :)
Being relatively new to CC in Tx, are police officers that strict about printing? Have you ever heard of someone being harassed / successfully prosecuted for printing in TX? If so, maybe I should look into getting a smaller gun (i.e. Kel Tec P11) for everyday carry.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Before our state had a consealed carry permit it was legal to carry openly.

A friend was gasing up his car at a local self serve station after he had been to the range shooting his Ruger GP 100.

He had it in a belt holster and his short jacket only had it partly hidden.

Our local newbie female state trooper walked by and saw him and his gun and threw him in jail for carring a consealed weapon.

It was thrown out of court because since she walked by and "seen" his gun it was considered openly carried and not consealed.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
battlecreek1 said:
Being relatively new to CC in Tx, are police officers that strict about printing? Have you ever heard of someone being harassed / successfully prosecuted for printing in TX? If so, maybe I should look into getting a smaller gun (i.e. Kel Tec P11) for everyday carry.

the Law states "easily discerable by the general public"... LEOs are not the general public.

doesnt mean that you cant get arrested for it, but it does mean that its not up to their discretion.

but, for the most part, MOST cops here understand that you are on their side and they will just warn you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
therooster said:
battlecreek1 said:

the Law states "easily discerable by the general public"... LEOs are not the general public.

doesnt mean that you cant get arrested for it, but it does mean that its not up to their discretion.

but, for the most part, MOST cops here understand that you are on their side and they will just warn you.
I'm just going by what they told me in the CHL class I recently took. The point was that certain areas are more CHL friendly than others. I happen to live in one that is very anti-CHL according to those in the class. So, no "real world" firsthand experience from me, just heresay from class. Personally, I'm one to take heed from those that have more experience, so I'll be very aware of the carry issues once the CHL comes in and I start carrying daily (although perhaps that is just normal for someone new to the whole thing anyway :))

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
pdjplano said:
I'm just going by what they told me in the CHL class I recently took. The point was that certain areas are more CHL friendly than others. I happen to live in one that is very anti-CHL according to those in the class. So, no "real world" firsthand experience from me, just heresay from class. Personally, I'm one to take heed from those that have more experience, so I'll be very aware of the carry issues once the CHL comes in and I start carrying daily (although perhaps that is just normal for someone new to the whole thing anyway :))
remember... most people are sheep. they walk around in their own little world not paying attention to anyone or anything. and last time i checked, people talk to your face, not your hips.

i've had people clearly bump into my gun, and even put their hand on the holster, and they all just kept going without a clue. nowdays people carry a lot of stuff on their belt: cellphones, pagers, blackberrys, MP3 players, and anything else you can think of. that is what comes to the general publics mind when they bump into it or see something sticking out of your shirt. it kinda works like this... if you think that they think you have a gun, they will. or simply put... dont act suspicious.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Doesn't an inside the waistband holster solve most of the problems with concealment?

I never carried but am picking up my CCW tomorrow and I have to decide which type of holster to buy.

Tom

·
Registered
135 Posts
ichy_trigger said:
I'm with you on the this and we have an open carry law here too. The bad part is, we also have this crime called "inducing panic"........
The mere presence of a firearm is not inducing panic. That's just a bunch of BS. Ohio has always been an open carry state. People(cops, politicians, whoever...) make up crap like inducing panic to scare the would be open carriers not to exercise their rights. Of course when Ohioans for Concealed Carry started doing open carry walks state wide, the CCW law got passed real quick like.

Inducing panic would be yelling fire in a theater. Just having a gun strapped on your hip is benign. If you can show me a case where anyone in Ohio has ever been charged with and convicted of inducing panic because they were openly carrying a gun, I'd like to see it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way :wink: I'm still pretty new to concealed carry, but I've kind of gotten over the worried/newness feeling...Wait until you have to go #2 in a public restroom, and there's only open stall. And the adjacent stall has a small child crawling around on the floor. Then you hear "daddy, look a gun" :shock:

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
gaspipes said:
ichy_trigger said:
I'm with you on the this and we have an open carry law here too. The bad part is, we also have this crime called "inducing panic"........
The mere presence of a firearm is not inducing panic. That's just a bunch of BS. Ohio has always been an open carry state. People(cops, politicians, whoever...) make up crap like inducing panic to scare the would be open carriers not to exercise their rights. Of course when Ohioans for Concealed Carry started doing open carry walks state wide, the CCW law got passed real quick like.

Inducing panic would be yelling fire in a theater. Just having a gun strapped on your hip is benign. If you can show me a case where anyone in Ohio has ever been charged with and convicted of inducing panic because they were openly carrying a gun, I'd like to see it.
Just going by what my wife learned in her CCW class given by a police firearms instructor and an attorney. Who knows for sure, I dont have the money to find out by testing the theory, but I dont worry if my shirt rides up or I print.

·
Registered
502 Posts
ak bandit said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way :wink: I'm still pretty new to concealed carry, but I've kind of gotten over the worried/newness feeling...Wait until you have to go #2 in a public restroom, and there's only open stall. And the adjacent stall has a small child crawling around on the floor. Then you hear "daddy, look a gun" :shock:
Just don't do what an Air Marshal did last year on a plane and leave his handgun on the sink in the restroom. :shock:

·
Registered
237 Posts
nick19 said:
ak bandit said:
Just don't do what an Air Marshal did last year on a plane and leave his handgun on the sink in the restroom. :shock:
there was also an older deputy that left his gun in the bathroom of a donut shop... that just makes us LEOs look really bad...
if Im working and i see someone printing, i will pull them to the side, warn them and let them be on their way... i support CCW and wish more people had them...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts