Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the look and feel of the Range Officer. It is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. However I feel like I don't shoot it enough (cost of .45 ammo is one of a few reasons... I don't have the means for reloading right now). When the XD 5.25 first came out I was like "meh". But the more I look at it the more I find myself wanting one. I know the RO is hard to find and I'll probably kick myself if/when I make a trade but I can't help thinking about it. I feel like I would get way more use and enjoyment out of the 5.25.

I've been thinking about joining up and doing some USPSA competitions and I could see how the 5.25 would be great for that. But then I could also see maybe one day wanting to run some courses in the single-stack division and I'd be getting rid of a 1911 that would be perfect for that.

Do I need some sense smacked into me or is it understandable? UGH.

I know... just get both, right? Easier said than done... unless I wanted to get rid of my XD9sc and put towards the 5.25 but that would barely pay for half of it.

Decisions, decisions.

Patience is not one of my strongest suits. I'm sure setting aside $60 or $70 a month and just ride it out 'till I've got the dough would be the best option... that way I don't have/need to get rid of any of my other babies. Patience grasshoppa!

·
Registered
144 Posts
A little white paint on the front sight never hurt anything.

I wouldnt like a safe queen either... but in this case, you might give up something you'll never get back.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
If you like the 1911, keep it.
Sights are easily changed to a multitude of options.
Figure out which dovetail cut you have, go to the website below and swap your sights.
If they don't have exactly what you want, call them, they can probably make it.

www.dawsonprecision.com Home Page

Now I've sold many a gun to buy another, but I've yet to regret selling any of them.
I'd research and find a firearm I wanted, looked in the safe, and least used/liked firearm was sold to buy another one.

Since you're so iffy on it, I'd keep the RO.
If you really wanted the XD 5.25 and didn't care for the RO, I'd say sell it.

But whatever you do, don't trade your guns with a gun shop.
If at all possible, do a private sale, then go buy your new pistol.
The buyer usually loses on a gun store trade.:(

I'd be selling those XDs in your sig line before I sold that RO.
But that is just me..

·
Registered
3,422 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have just conferred with my support group and have decided you "may be crazy". Our group has decided it would be best for you to send us your 1911 while you sort out these serious issues. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I would not trade the RO for the 5.25. I have sold or traded only 2 guns in my life and regretted doing so both times.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Why not, I sold a RO and picked up a Glock. It's your money, spend how you want not how others think you should. I buy guns to shoot them, my short list includes another 1911 but it won't be an RO. Its a nice gun but the thing that killed it for me were the sights. My .02 cents.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
It doesn't matter what you want next...NEVER sell off or trade a gun that you are happy with. You will only regret its absence. I've done it. NEVER AGAIN! Save up and buy the new gun.

·
Registered
895 Posts
get the gun you want and will shoot. considering you won the RO, my analogy if I were to win a chevy corvette in a raffle, i would sell it and buy a nissan gtr...... thats just me. variety is the spice of life.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Don't sell it...you'll regret it. Sights can be changed. I love mine and yes, amo is expensive. I am thinking of getting a 1911 in 22 cal so that it's cheaper to shoot. The gun will pay for itself eventually. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I vote to keep the 1911 , and I'm TOTALLY unbiased ! :cool:

I just purchased a S&W 1911 after lusting after a XD .45 compact also .

The 1911 is a keeper in my book .

I'll still prob get the XD , when the budget allows .

All things in due time ...................

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Keep it. The only 2 guns I've ever traded were a (I dunno, maybe a 32 cal) revolver belonging to my wife's deceased father to get a Ruger 1022. The other was a SIG sp 2022 to get my XD 40sc. I HATED the take down on the SIG. Never looked back on either trade.

Yours is a much tougher decision, however. Good luck with that!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I've thought about it. I can't/won't sell the XDM 3.8 40 compact because that is my EDC... along with the S&W 642 airweight... that is my summer EDC. I considered maybe trying to get rid of the XD9sc but that one was my first ever firearm (so it holds sentimental value) and the more I look into it the more apprehensive I become about personal selling of firearms. I know the likelihood of a bad sell is very slim but the thought of selling my firearm to somebody I don't know and them eventually turning around and using it for something illegal... and then it being traced back to me if no paper trail is involved is just something I'm not sure I'm ready to deal with. I'm sure there are precautions that can be taken but I don't know how I feel about that.

Well I appreciate your short answer. :p Thanks!

That's what a Bill of Sale is for brother.....Covers your ass and only do face to face transactions with permit holders better insures it's a good sale. That being said I dont recommend ever selling a firearm for another unless it was a mistake to begin with.......Save the damn thing is going nowhere, hell they just hit the market......Your way late to be the first to have one so that's out....

·
Premium Member
127,144 Posts
To each his own, but I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
There isn't a finer fighting firearm than a 1911..... I love mine wouldn't give em up for anything else.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
It doesn't matter what you want next...NEVER sell off or trade a gun that you are happy with. You will only regret its absence. I've done it. NEVER AGAIN! Save up and buy the new gun.
Words of wisdom ... I agree !!!

OP,
Get a 22 kit for the 1911, as a cost cutter, then the XDm when you can afford it.

kotokahn is 1000% correct, you'll regret letting it go, if you're happy with it.

And I'm pretty unbiased about this, as I don't own either gun.
You can't go wrong with either, but I'd choose the 1911 if I had to choose.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts