Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going on vacation later this summer to Myrtle Beach. I checked the laws of N.C. which I will be driving through and S.C. where I will be staying. The part that sucks in S.C. is you cannot carry into an establishment that serves alcohol even if you aren't drinking. I don't feel safe leaving it in the car not on me if we go out to eat someplace that serves alcohol due to possible car break in.

Anyways, my question is this. If we are going down to the beach and pool for the day would you bring your gun with you or leave it in the rental condo? Sounds like a dumb question as I type it out but I figured what the hell, I'll post it anyways. If I bring it to the pool or the beach it's going to be unattended in a beach bag while I go into the pool/ocean with my kids. Not a good idea at all.

If I leave it in the rental condo, then it's in a place in which it can't be secured in a safe. I also am always skeptical of staying in places out of town.This is in what I perceive to be a great area but I don't live there and I am always thinking ahead of myself because that's how I am.

What do you do? I mean, I'm a believer that if you're going to carry concealed then you commit to it and you carry everyday all the time and where permissible. Am I being ridiculous by thinking up these scenarios and being paranoid? Is it ridiculousto take a gun on the beach or to the pool on vacation with young kids and awife? I always like being prepared in case of the unforeseen you know? I always, always worry (think about) the "what if" factor, "whatwould I do factor." That's where this scenario originated from I guess.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
The biggest issue for me is what you mentioned about the beach. My girlfriend and I always leave out bags unattended to go down to the beach. I think it would be a really bad idea to leave your gun in the beach bag, esp with the prevalence of theft from
Beach bags solely because people know they are left unattended. Tough call altogether. I'd take my chances with the room...find a good hiding spot.

·
21,868 Posts
You forgot option 3. Is it wiser to bring it or leave it at home?

I would pack up on knives and leave the gun at home.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Most hotels/condos provide a safe for your valuables.

Use it.

Do not bring it down to the beach or pool.... asking for trouble on many levels.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I would not leave it in a beach bag on the beach. Hide it in your rental place, if you dont have kids, hide it with the pots and pans in the kitchen or another place a thief will not likely look.

When it comes to going out to eat, leave it in your car and park under a light, near the windows or front door. Here in Ohio we are getting very close to being able to carry in establishments that serve booze so we are used to having to leave a gun in the car. Make sure its covered on your insurance policy if your worried abotu the loss and get a small lockable case that you can anchor to the car.

·
Premium Member
127,264 Posts
Do not bring it down to the beach or pool.... asking for trouble on many levels.

I totally agree. Too many thefts in such locations.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Bring along one of the small flat safes normally used for cars. Something like this: Cabela's: Secure-It Handgun Storage Safes I see that they are on sale again for $19.99, fair deal if you don't already have one for your car. They travel nicely in baggage.

One of best spots in most hotel rooms is under head of bed, with cable to bed frame. First that makes it hard to find. Second provides some deterrence if is found - little safe will not make it impossible for thief, but will make it difficult, and might take time he is not willing to "invest".

·
Registered
66 Posts
Find a safe place to keep the gun in your condo. As someone that carries basically everywhere, including in a waterproof bag when I am out on my jet ski, I completely understand where your question is coming from. Just be extra aware of your surroundings, and having a legal knife or two around is not a bad idea. It may seem silly, but check laws regarding knives anywhere you will be traveling.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have one of the Secure-It storage safes in my pickup that CdnInAz mentioned. If I'm going to leave the gun in my truck while I go in somewhere I lock it up. It won't stop someone with bolt cutters, but a smash-and-grab thief wont be able to take it. I also have a car alarm.
You can take the safe into the condo and use the securing cable around a sink pipe or other permanent fixture in the condo. Again, It won't stop a determined and well equipped thief, but it might just be enough.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok good, glad I posted. I appreciate all the responses. Especially the ones about getting that safe for a smash and grab or someone who is looking to get in and get out. I guess as much as I would like to keep it with me at all times that's just not a reality.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm glad you posted this because in july were going to myrtle beach and i had the same questions.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Locked in safe or your trunk when you can't be by it.

Since you are a NRA member you are automatically insured for at least $1,000. If you are not a NRA member, join today.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Would I have to worry about rust since it come with a foam pad or no? Dont mean to jack thread just wondering

·
Registered
463 Posts
Most hotels/condos provide a safe for your valuables.

Use it.

NEVER use these safes!! I worked night audit for a hotel and the maintenance guy was arrested for stealing stuff out of peoples safe. Plus almost every employee has access to the keys for those.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would I have to worry about rust since it come with a foam pad or no? Dont mean to jack thread just wondering
I think that's only the case if you store it in there for extended periods. Like weeks at a time. For the day or going into a place where you aren't allowed to carry should be fine. That's what I perceive it to be for, short storage not regular storage.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NEVER use these safes!! I worked night audit for a hotel and the maintenance guy was arrested for stealing stuff out of peoples safe. Plus almost every employee has access to the keys for those.
Imagine that! Almost like a boobie trap for out of towners. I think that travel box that was posted on page 1 makes sense. Not a safe but would deter someone who was just looking to grab and go.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts