Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not all of us can afford an expensive fireproof gun safe to store our firearms in. What other methods have you used to secure and/or fireproof your weapons at home? Specifically for a combination of handguns and long guns.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Sadly i dont think there is much of anything else. Tis why a safe is the standard.

I just saved up a few years AND waited for a black friday deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly i dont think there is much of anything else. Tis why a safe is the standard.

I just saved up a few years AND waited for a black friday deal

A friend of mine just suggested a gang box such as the type used on construction sites and bolting it into the floor of my house. I know fire protection won't be as good, but the security should be enough to prevent a common burglar from making off with anything without one hell of a fight.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200498916_200498916

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
A friend of mine just suggested a gang box such as the type used on construction sites and bolting it into the floor of my house. I know fire protection won't be as good, but the security should be enough to prevent a common burglar from making off with anything without one hell of a fight.

That"ll do it. Maybe get some type of insulation in it to act as the fire proof part? Will takes up a lot of space though lol.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
You should be able to get some fire board from you local builders supply. It won't be much as you'll still have gaps that won't seal and such.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
Why not this: RedHead® 10 Gun Safe | Bass Pro Shops

Appears to offer a little more security than a stack-on cabinet and some fire protection. Looks like you could move it yourself, empty, on a dolly too. If you get a bigger safe later on, this could be your ammo cabinet or something as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should be able to get some fire board from you local builders supply. It won't be much as you'll still have gaps that won't seal and such.
That's kind of what I'm thinking. It wouldn't be hard to build a rifle rack with some 1"x4" and cover it with some cheap fabric from Hancock's.

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
I have this in my bedroom closet (one step from my bed). It is locked when we leave the house, open when we are home (without visitors). It is made to nest between studs, but because of the stud layout in the closet, I had to surface mount it. If you are a renter, you can surface mount it to the wall, then patch the bolt holes when you move out.

V-Line Gun Safes - 51653-SA Closet Gun Vault with Mechanical Lock #VLN-51653-SA

Not much fireproofing, but it will slow down the bad guys.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,647 Posts

Jobsite Box — 45in.W x 24in.D x 25in.H, Model# JS4523 | Jobsite Boxes| Northern Tool + Equipment
As a former construction worker, that will only keep honest folks, well honest.
We had our gang boxes broken into a number of times over the years, and out tools stolen. A prybar and some elbow grease can get in one of those MUCH easier than a good safe. Just my $.02

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Define expensive. I got this one when it was on sale for $549. I did a lot of research before I bought it and couldn't find one better for the money. Bought some LED ribbon lights + remote for an additional $35 and now it's also well lit.

Winchester® Gun Safe, 24 Gun Capacity - Tractor Supply Co.
I can't recall seeing one in stock locally for less than $800 and I prefer not to buy sight unseen, so ordering one from a catalog would be a bit iffy. I'd rather build something myself for less than half that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can't recall seeing one in stock locally for less than $800 and I prefer not to buy sight unseen, so ordering one from a catalog would be a bit iffy. I'd rather build something myself for less than half that.
I bought my safe for about $600 from Liberty. Its not the grandest but it does the job and I didnt want to mortgage my house for a big shiny one. The link below is not the same as mine but similar.

http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-explorer-safes-ps-25.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought my safe for about $600 from Liberty. Its not the grandest but it does the job and I didnt want to mortgage my house for a big shiny one. The link below is not the same as mine but similar.

Entry Level Centurion Explorer Safes - Affordable Protection
Something along that line might be doable if they make a model small enough. I'm a bit limited on space and weight is also a concern since I don't have a concrete floor.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Get a Stack-on gun cabinet and bolt it to the wall and floor in a closet. Then put a deadbolt on the closet door. It will at least slow someone down. And the apt floor will handle the weight of it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
https://www.basspro.com/StackOn-Fully-Convertible-18Gun-Cabinet/product/1211301232/

This is what I use currently. It fills my needs for now while I am moving every 2 years or so (and living in an apartment, where getting a safe up the stairs is pretty much impossible)

If you wait long enough/look hard enough I have seen them for less than $200. Bolt it to the floor and off you go.
+1

Got one from Dicks on sale and with a coupon for cheap. I know it's a "cabinet", not a "safe" but at least stuff is locked up and not laying around.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
https://www.basspro.com/StackOn-Fully-Convertible-18Gun-Cabinet/product/1211301232/

This is what I use currently. It fills my needs for now while I am moving every 2 years or so (and living in an apartment, where getting a safe up the stairs is pretty much impossible)

If you wait long enough/look hard enough I have seen them for less than $200. Bolt it to the floor and off you go.

This is what I have as well, just saw it at WalMart online for $160 shipped to your house which is about $10 less than what I paid. It works for now and when I get a safe it'll still get used.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
My thoughts...
I have a gun safe - it's NOT fireproof - lots of holes and gaps in it so smoke/water would get in, it's not insulated.

A friend's parents' house burned many years ago..badly and collapsed into the basement...can't imagine the heat and how long it went on, but his safe ended up in the basement..in a big puddle of water under debris.

So IMO there's little hope in a fireproof safe actually saving much. Unless you spend a fortune on it.

If you are trying to stop a thief, again, deterrance is the best you can really do. I keep a lot of my long guns in plastic cases and run a chain and lock through them - the only reasonable way to get them is to cut the cases open - possible but not gonna be easy or quick.

I keep my handguns and some long guns in my gun safe.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I keep mine in a large cardboard box in the spare room labeled, "Christmas Tree," with boxes of decorations, extension cords and lights. Shhhhh.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anybody used anything from Gallowtech? Im in the process of buying a house right now and considering using some of their stuff and just building a closet in the house into Fort Knox, lol. If that cant happen for whatever reason, then I plan on going with a traditional safe.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts