Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought the conversion barrel from pistol gear and i THOGHT i had bent the mag tight enough, went to the range to shoot my cheap ammo and pow, first shot no eject, i manually eject the cartidge and it does it again.. how to you know exactly how far to bend the lips??

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was told that the lips needed to be .35" at the forward contact point (right where they curve out away from the cartridge) and .33" at the rear contact point (at the base of the brass).

Scott at Springer has modded one for me. He checked it out and says that it feeds reliably - I should have it by the end of the week.

I will let you know how it works as soon as I get an opportunity to shoot it...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you order it from him or didyou have to send it in? Basically i'd like to buy a premodded one or get it done, cant say i really trust myself lol.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was in the same dilemma. I have a couple of extra mags but really didn't want to mod one myself and risk destroying it. So I actually ordered a mag from Scott along with some other work I had him do. He modded the mag for me and shipped it. He would have modded one of mine but it was easier just to buy another one from him.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
this might be a dumb question, but why would you have to bend the mag for a conversion barrel to work?????

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would think an incorrectly configured magazine could cause failure to feed, and lock back problems - but don't understand why it would cause failure to eject. Could someone enlighten me please?:confused:

Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
The width of the lips on the mag along with the diameter and length of the cartridge determine the vertical position and angle of the cartridge. There is an optimum location and angle for the cartridge as it sits at the top of the mag awaiting its turn to be chambered.

If it sits too low, it may not get stripped out of the mag reliably and/or it may hit too low on the feed ramp and jam. An incorrect angle and an extreme high position can cause the same sort of Fail To Feed problems.

If it sits too high, it can interfere with the ejection of the spent brass. It may block the empty cartridge from being extracted reliably from the chamber and will usually cause it to either pull loose from the extractor and stove pipe or be re-chambered - Fail To Eject.

Since the .40 cal cartridge is larger in diameter than the 9mm, the 9 will sit higher in the top of the .40 mag - high enough to cause Fail To Eject problems but in most cases not too high to cause Fail To Feed problems.

Ideally, you want the CENTERLINE of the 9mm cartridge to be in exactly the same position as the centerline of the .40 for optimum reliability. The new XDm 9mm mag is designed this way, it may be both a few thousanths shorter and narrower at the lips.

The alternative, if you want to accomplish the same thing with a .40 mag, is to close up the lips just enough to lower the cartridge to the same optimum position. The trick is to squeeze or bend it consistently on both sides from front to back in order to preserve the angle of the cartridge as well.

It is probably not near as complicated as it sounds because there is quite a bit of tolerance there. However, I can always use another mag and since Scott was familiar with the procedure and was doing other work for me as well, it made sense to just buy one from him and get him to do it for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is probably not near as complicated as it sounds because there is quite a bit of tolerance there. However, I can always use another mag and since Scott was familiar with the procedure and was doing other work for me as well, it made sense to just buy one from him and get him to do it for me.

yeai didn't see that option to have him do it on his site, did you change out your recoil spring as well?

if i can get a 2 mags done from him id also buy some other stuff but alas like i said i dont see mag mod as a option on his site

·
Registered
95 Posts
Give Scott a call. I'm pretty sure that his phone # is on his web site (Springer Precision). He's also pretty active on the forum. I think his ID is Loves2Shoot - you could send him a PM.

I did put a Don's Guide Rod (stainless) in but I have not changed the spring. Scott told me that the factory spring should be fine for anything but light hand loads. Any 9mm factory ammo shoot work fine.

I figure that when I get the barrel and mag, I will try out a few different brands and see. If I have a problem, I'll change the spring.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The PistolGear conversion barrel and Mag arrived from Springer Precision today (modded mag and cut/crown the barrel). I haven't been able to shoot it yet but I'm impressed with the workmanship.

I had to make a slight mod to the barrel though. I had to cut the notch for the flange on the guide rod a slight bit deeper and sharper. The conversion barrel's notch has even more of a radius than the stock barrel and the Don's Guide Rod's flange rides up to high in the notch. This causes an interference that results in the slide being very difficult to remove. I used a dremel with a small cylinder grinding wheel and just squared off the notch in the middle. Now there is no interference at all.

It functions nice and smoothly with the barrel and mag. I don't have any 9mm snap caps yet - I'm going out to get some now.

I will try and shoot it tomorrow or Monday and I'll report back - probably start a new thread though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The PistolGear conversion barrel and Mag arrived from Springer Precision today (modded mag and cut/crown the barrel). I haven't been able to shoot it yet but I'm impressed with the workmanship.

I had to make a slight mod to the barrel though. I had to cut the notch for the flange on the guide rod a slight bit deeper and sharper. The conversion barrel's notch has even more of a radius than the stock barrel and the Don's Guide Rod's flange rides up to high in the notch. This causes an interference that results in the slide being very difficult to remove. I used a dremel with a small cylinder grinding wheel and just squared off the notch in the middle. Now there is no interference at all.

It functions nice and smoothly with the barrel and mag. I don't have any 9mm snap caps yet - I'm going out to get some now.

I will try and shoot it tomorrow or Monday and I'll report back - probably start a new thread though.
i soooo envy you right now! i'm placing my order now to get my mags i already have the barrel. hopefully i'll getthem this upcomming week !

·
Registered
95 Posts
Have you found a supplier for XDm 9mm mags? I've only found one that lists them on their site (Impact) and they show "Backorder". I'm going to the gun show next weekend - maybe I can pick up a couple if I'm lucky enough to find some...

I cycled six aluminum snap-caps through it about 7 or 8 times tonight and had no mis-feeds at all.

I did find one problem though. Even though the SpeedLoader that came with the XDm is marked for both .40 and 9mm, the tab is too wide to fit through the lips on the modified magazine. This is kind of strange. I suppose I could take an exacto knife and shave off a little bit of the tab. For now, I'll have to use my thumb...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think i know the site u reffering too, i ordered 2 from scott lol. mine cycled fine in the un modded 40 untill i shot it! u got stock sights?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Shot it today - 100 rounds. Lots of Fail to Extracts. About one round in four either stove piped or jambed flat. Also 2 out of 3 times the slide did not lock open on the last round of the mag.

I'm thinking that the spring may be a little too strong for the 9mm.

I'm pretty sure I'm not limp-wristing. If I conciously hold the gun as strong as I can with both hands and push as I shoot, it seems to be slightly better but my accuracy goes away.

I tried both WWB and Blazer Brass and the problem exists with both. I think I am going to start a new thread on this later today...

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Are you guys talking about putting a 9mm conversion barrel in an XDm 40?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Why not just buy the XDm9?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why not just buy the XDm9?
well the idea was keep the 40 for home defense and use the 9mm for the range and plinking targets. kindalike having the best of both worlds..

Might just be a spring issue i'll see when i get mine. id rather pay 599 for a .40 xdm and 150 for a conversion barrel than 1100 for 2 different guns anyday i guess.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts