Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal...I already have a XDm 9mm and it has been a trusted friend at both the range and my nightstand (as well as on the road). I recently sent it off to get worked over by Canyon Creek Customs so I will no longer be using this as a nightstand gun. My wife and I sleep separately (I use a CPAP, it drives her nuts) and although she has a S&W .38 Bodyguard revolver...I have zippo at the moment.

I've boiled it down to either another XDm in .45 or a Ruger Redhawk Alaskan in .44 Mag.

Yes, I know, these are night and day but I REALLY want another .44 or .45 (used to have a full sized Super Redhawlk and a 1911). The problem is that I can't decide. If I get a .45 its going to be a XDm figuring how much a good 1911 will run you these days. I also don't care for Glock and do not like hammer driven pistols AKA SIG or FN (owned a FNX and simply did not like it).

What I'm asking is would buying another XDm be a mistake? Is there a big enough difference to justify another model in the same line? I'm afraid I'll get it and regrett it because it simply is too much like my 9mm model.

I'd appreciate any thoughts from anyone here that owns both and would like to add some advice.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I only see duplication as a benefit if one expects to loose a gun (police confiscation, because you used it, and they're investigating), or as a secondary in a SHTF scenario.

So,
If ya want a big bullet, and it's mostly gonna be a HD gun, get a Rock River 1911, or another XD/XDm, or something entirely different.

If the 9 is gonna become a play gun, and you want a familiar feel, with the same method of operation, get the XDm in .45

If ya want another revolver ... Get that !!

I'm not much help on this ... You're gonna have to decide.

Myself,
If my XD disappeared for whatever reason, I'd but another the same day.

At defensive distances, with no one I'd need to shoot around ... It's an instinctive shot.
I will hit what ever is in the direction I am pointing, and the first shot will occur with confidence, without the time needed for a sight picture.
What did Rich do to your gun that removes it from nightstand duty ?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I already have the XDM9 and want to get an XDM .45 I can't justify it right now. Maybe a year or 2

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
For me, ther would not be a big enough difference between the two for me to get a cloned just in .45. Too many great other brands in .45 to choose from. I have a Sig C3 in .45 Im thinking of selling.
But if you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT find another brand or model you want, there really isn't anything wrong with another cloned XD.

Look into the M&P maybe, I fell in love with mine especially since there are now aftermarket drop in APEX brand parts for the M&P. Now I have a Fullsize Duty & a midsize compact in .45 as well as a .45.

Then there is my HK, cannot find one thing to dislike about it.

Or you can look into getting the ATF tax stamp and buying a suppressor to spice things up a little, OR A LOT :) (that's what I'm waiting on now for my HK), if your state allows that is.

Lots of choices. Nice thing about modern day high quality polymers like HK, Sig, XD, Block,,,they keep their value pretty well. If you make a purchase & don't like it, you can usually get MOST. your money back

Just my $0.25

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What did Rich do to your gun that removes it from nightstand duty ?
Not a ton...I'm having a comp trigger done ar 3#, his F/O front, Bo-Mar rear sight installed and the slide slotted. I've just read plenty of times that you're not supposed to use a modified firearm as a home defense weapon...it looks bad in court. On top of that, if the police are going to take it from me until the smoke clears...I definitely don't want them taking my XDm 9 after the $$ I've put into it!

For me, ther would not be a big enough difference between the two for me to get a cloned just in .45. Too many great other brands in .45 to choose from. I have a Sig C3 in .45 Im thinking of selling.
But if you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT find another brand or model you want, there really isn't anything wrong with another cloned XD.

Look into the M&P maybe, I fell in love with mine especially since there are now aftermarket drop in APEX brand parts for the M&P. Now I have a Fullsize Duty & a midsize compact in .45 as well as a .45.

Then there is my HK, cannot find one thing to dislike about it.

Or you can look into getting the ATF tax stamp and buying a suppressor to spice things up a little, OR A LOT :) (that's what I'm waiting on now for my HK), if your state allows that is.

Lots of choices. Nice thing about modern day high quality polymers like HK, Sig, XD, Block,,,they keep their value pretty well. If you make a purchase & don't like it, you can usually get MOST. your money back

Just my $0.25
I love the idea of something else but unfortunately for me...I shoot like I golf. I need consistency with a semi auto pistol. Once I really start to get good with a pistol...the grip...the sight picture...the recoil management, switching up to another only jacks with me. just like a set of clubs. If I went out with a set of Nike Golf then tomorrow with a set of Clevelands and finally with some Taylor Made the thrid day...I'd never get good with any of them.

I bought a FNX 9 this spring and had to completely adjust my grip because of the layout of the gun. I spent some time with it and was improving only to find that my skills with the XDm were getting worse. After all was said and done...I sold the FNX and used the $$ to mod my XDm 9.

Now...switching between a revolver and semi auto is a different story with me...I can do that all day.

·
Registered
113 Posts
+1 to what AZXD said.

The .45 XDm would be my first option, but that is just me. It's your call. I can appreciate the CPAP issue. At least the dogs don't mind mine. And they don't steal the covers!

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Idol ramblings, anyone? I really took the lazy man's recourse to the CPAP. Had surgery to remove uvula and large portion of soft pallate, so I never needed the machine. A true Godsend.
I started with the XD 45 and then went to the XD 40 sc for carry. Never made the jump to XDM but IMO it's def worth the price difference.
I grew up on hammered models (Barretta 92 and revolvers) so I'm still ever so slightly more comfortable with that system.
A final thought on the police snatching up your gun after an incident. My CCW instructors advice or rule of thumb is when he goes into New Orleans or a elevated chance of use area, he won't bring his high dollar Kimber. I myself feel that if it's a life and death situation, what really is your life worth. It's your life.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Add my vote to getting a second XDm. I'm like you in that I like consistency with my tools.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have owned XDs in 9, .40, and .45 all at the same time and liked the variety of calibers without having the variety of controls and sights to deal with. Since I carried all of them at one time or another I wanted to have full confidence in my abilities to use the weapon without having to first remember which one I had that day. If you don't carry daily, get whatever seems like the most fun. If you do carry, I suggest getting the XDm .45.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Same here. I have XDm's in the 3.8 9mm "compact", 4.5 .40, and 4.5 .45. I like their feel. Also have a couple of others in .45 as well; TRP Operator and a Colt Gold Cup. Go ahead and get the XDm .45.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Hmm... I would have no problem owning two XDm's of different calibers... maybe get the second one in a different color scheme though.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Not a ton...I'm having a comp trigger done ar 3#, his F/O front, Bo-Mar rear sight installed and the slide slotted. I've just read plenty of times that you're not supposed to use a modified firearm as a home defense weapon...it looks bad in court. On top of that, if the police are going to take it from me until the smoke clears...I definitely don't want them taking my XDm 9 after the $$ I've put into it!
Good enough, makes sense to me, and thanks ... Although I am of the opinion that modifications might fall back on the smith who did the work, if push cam to shove.

But what a hassle ;)

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Hmm... I would have no problem owning two XDm's of different calibers... maybe get the second one in a different color scheme though.
I once thought that way, and then started consolidating into specific calibers ... But that's me, YMMV.

I have no use for a 45acp, because it would be a new caliber ... And while I have bullets of that size, they have more oomph behind then when shoved out the barrel via 45 Colt or 454 Casull charges :mrgeen:

Only the OP, really has the ability to decide what would be best ... And with that said, I'd not hesitate to buy another XD/Xdm, if I wanted one !!

THEY KICK A$$ IN THE RELIABILITY DEPARTMENT ... Sue me, I'm biased.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I say get the XDM .45. I have the 4.5 .45 a 3.8 9C and a 9mm 4.5. the 3.8 9c is for carry and the other two make great nightstand guns. The .45 on my side and the 9mm on the wifes side both with TRL2's. Makes it nice no matter which gun the wife would need to grab they both operate the same no need to think about which is which!

·
Registered
460 Posts
the XDM45 is the best 45 I've ever shot, good recoil management, excellent accuracy and in my experience 500 rounds and counting with no failures

·
Registered
34 Posts
In the middle of the night, you don't want to be trying to remember the manual of arms for your gun. Go with the XDm .45 as it will operate exactly the same way your 9 does. Your muscle memory will react properly as you train with the 9 and you'll be far more likely to not have a mistake.

As far as the XDm .45 goes, mine is simply awesome. I showed it to my brother-in-law the other day and he wants one now.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
In the middle of the night, you don't want to be trying to remember the manual of arms for your gun. Go with the XDm .45 as it will operate exactly the same way your 9 does. Your muscle memory will react properly as you train with the 9 and you'll be far more likely to not have a mistake.

As far as the XDm .45 goes, mine is simply awesome. I showed it to my brother-in-law the other day and he wants one now.
This

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't personally have an xdm 45 but my brother does and he was just telling me the other day it has quickly became his favorite gun (he has many in all different calibers and types)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts