Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was dead set on the XDM .45. I love that it comes with backstraps, and 2 mags, and a fancy box, and it looks awesome. The loaded chamber/ready to fire indicators are great, too.

But...but... the trigger. I ended up being quite surprised by the trigger. It's actually not a bad pull, but my problem is this: I like that on my M&P9, you pull out the slack, and then a little more press and it breaks. Love it. Easy to do over and over again.

With the XDM, you pull the slack out and then there's this terrible creep before it breaks. It's such a shame because aside from that I quite like the gun.

I also tried a gen 3 Glock 21, and greatly preferred the trigger system over the XDM. Felt quite similar to the M&P with no creep after the you pull it tight, just before it breaks.

For what it's worth, I also tried an XD 45 and the trigger to me seemed identical to the XDM.

I'm now bummed. I want a good .45, don't care for 1911s, and I already have an M&P 9 and want to try something different. The gen 4 Glock 21 coming out soon, hopefully?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I was dead set on the XDM .45. I love that it comes with backstraps, and 2 mags, and a fancy box, and it looks awesome. The loaded chamber/ready to fire indicators are great, too.

But...but... the trigger. I ended up being quite surprised by the trigger. It's actually not a bad pull, but my problem is this: I like that on my M&P9, you pull out the slack, and then a little more press and it breaks. Love it. Easy to do over and over again.

With the XDM, you pull the slack out and then there's this terrible creep before it breaks. It's such a shame because aside from that I quite like the gun.

I also tried a gen 3 Glock 21, and greatly preferred the trigger system over the XDM. Felt quite similar to the M&P with no creep after the you pull it tight, just before it breaks.

For what it's worth, I also tried an XD 45 and the trigger to me seemed identical to the XDM.

I'm now bummed. I want a good .45, don't care for 1911s, and I already have an M&P 9 and want to try something different. The gen 4 Glock 21 coming out soon, hopefully?
So... you joined XDTALK to tell everyone you dont like the XD line, and that you want a Glock... :rolleyes: Troll much?

·
Registered
23 Posts
typical noob that has no idea what a good trigger should feel like. Yes there is a little creep when you first purchase the xdm but after a couple hundred rounds you will find there is no creep at all! It is not a competition trigger of course but still great for a stock inexpensive gun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So... you joined XDTALK to tell everyone you dont like the XD line, and that you want a Glock... :rolleyes: Troll much?
Hey now, be nice. Not everything can be roses all the time, right? I'm definitely not a troll. I registered yesterday because I seriously thought I'd be coming home with my new XDM 45 today!

My thoughts as well.
Sorry if it came across that way.

typical noob that has no idea what a good trigger should feel like. Yes there is a little creep when you first purchase the xdm but after a couple hundred rounds you will find there is no creep at all! It is not a competition trigger of course but still great for a stock inexpensive gun.
If someone else can back you up on this, that the creep will disappear with use, I'll be getting an XDM 45. It's quite simple. But I'm not sure how that much creep can just not exist after shooting it. I'm not a noob, but in my experience creep has never gone away with any gun I've tested. Does the trigger smooth out over time? Yes. But creep? Hmm...

Again, I'm not a noob but I'm not the most experienced either. I definitey want an XD 45 though if others confirm the creep goes away.

Anyone else want to chime in?

·
Registered
160 Posts
My XDm is the finest shooting pistol I've wrapped my paws around.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Their point was that this is not the place to say you do not like xd... it's an xd forum so people here like the gun. And if that is the only problem get a new trigger or let it break in. Of course there is a break in period. Find a friend that you can try their xd and see what you think.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I personally have 1000+ rounds through my XDM .40 and, while the trigger has gotten better with use, it is still not what in my totally unprofessional opinon could be called a good trigger. There is still quite a bit of creep and the reset is a lot longer than I'd desire. I plan on installing a Powder River Precision Ultimate Trigger in it soon. My buddy has an XDM 9 that has the PRP trigger in it and it is worlds better. I thought about selling the XDM .40 until I shot it with that trigger. It is fantastic. By the way, welcome to the forum and don't worry; most people in here are very helpful. Some like their XDs a little too much, however and talk about them like new parents talk about their kids: They are the greatest thing ever made and are perfect in every way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Their point was that this is not the place to say you do not like xd... it's an xd forum so people here like the gun. And if that is the only problem get a new trigger or let it break in. Of course there is a break in period. Find a friend that you can try their xd and see what you think.
You'll have to excuse me if I greatly disagree with you. I came in to express disappointment in a gun I've wanted for a long time, and to hope someone would say something positive or reassuring about it. I don't know anyone with an XDM to fire, otherwise I'd have fired one already.

If I buy one, take pictures, and then complain about the trigger, is that acceptable behavior? :p

In any case, if more people confirm the CREEP (that's all I'm taking about here) is gone with use, I'll own an XDM very shortly. If I had not posted my thoughts here, there would be no opportunity for owners to respond, and then I'd never own an XDM. So I don't see the downside in my posting. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I personally have 1000+ rounds through my XDM .40 and, while the trigger has gotten better with use, it is still not what in my totally unprofessional opinon could be called a good trigger. There is still quite a bit of creep and the reset is a lot longer than I'd desire. I plan on installing a Powder River Precision Ultimate Trigger in it soon. My buddy has an XDM 9 that has the PRP trigger in it and it is worlds better. I thought about selling the XDM .40 until I shot it with that trigger. It is fantastic.
Ugh... Sad. Not what I hoped to hear. I'd have to get a trigger job then, immediately, because I thought the XDM trigger in the store was awful just because of that creep. *sigh*

I'll have to think about it some more. It's definitely not ideal to buy a gun and change the trigger day 1. But it appears that's what I'd have to do as soon as I'd get it. :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's not going to disappear. You can inexpensively buy a trigger kit that'll give the gun a great trigger. The kits are simple enough to install yourself, but you do have to be confident enough to file metal at a couple specified places on the new piece (which means, worst case, you can always put the old part back in if you mess it up). So you have to ask yourself: price of XDM + price of trigger cut = worth buying to you.

edit: we apparently posted at the same time. Another thought - did you try more than one? I know some people argue that all triggers are the same, but tolerances and QC mean that sometimes that a particularly bad or good one slips through. I tried a bunch of sig p238s before I found one with a trigger I was really happy with. Guy behind the counter thought I was nuts, but who cares?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's not going to disappear. You can inexpensively buy a trigger kit that'll give the gun a great trigger. The kits are simple enough to install yourself, but you do have to be confident enough to file metal at a couple specified places on the new piece (which means, worst case, you can always put the old part back in if you mess it up). So you have to ask yourself: price of XDM + price of trigger cut = worth buying to you.
You're absolutely right. I just need to think about it. The XDM with night sights is expensive enough already, sigh! I shall ponder! Thanks for all the help. :)

·
Premium Member
127,420 Posts
Anyone else want to chime in?

Yes, I do. I don't own, and have never fired an XDm, but I do have three XDs. I had trigger jobs done on two of them to improve take up, over travel, and break. My carry gun I have left in it's virgin condition. Welcome to the forum! :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
You're absolutely right. I just need to think about it. The XDM with night sights is expensive enough already, sigh! I shall ponder! Thanks for all the help. :)
It's worth noting that these trigger kits are really nice. I mean, they are not 1911 bullseye triggers, but everything you could want in a gun without an external safety (no 2 lb triggers for me with no safety, thanks).

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
You'll have to excuse me if I greatly disagree with you. I came in to express disappointment in a gun I've wanted for a long time, and to hope someone would say something positive or reassuring about it. I don't know anyone with an XDM to fire, otherwise I'd have fired one already.

If I buy one, take pictures, and then complain about the trigger, is that acceptable behavior? :p

In any case, if more people confirm the CREEP (that's all I'm taking about here) is gone with use, I'll own an XDM very shortly. If I had not posted my thoughts here, there would be no opportunity for owners to respond, and then I'd never own an XDM. So I don't see the downside in my posting. :)
Sorry I did not mean to sound like I was jumping on you. Unintentional i promise. I creeped around for a month before I bought mine. I can till you I don't have a problem with mine and have definitely been liking the trigger more and more as time goes by. At first I was wanting to put in a PRP trigger but I like it very much after about 400 rounds.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Well, I managed to shoot the target below, at 10 yards, with the very first seven rounds out of my XDm. Perhaps you (WilliamG) are used to shooting much better than that when you first fire a new weapon. I am not. Three rounds out of seven keyholed inside the bull. Two more rounds out of seven nearly keyholed with the first three inside the bull ... and a couple "flyers" 1/4" to 1/2" away from the others. Creepy trigger indeed. :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
edit: we apparently posted at the same time. Another thought - did you try more than one? I know some people argue that all triggers are the same, but tolerances and QC mean that sometimes that a particularly bad or good one slips through. I tried a bunch of sig p238s before I found one with a trigger I was really happy with. Guy behind the counter thought I was nuts, but who cares?
Not crazy. I just sold a P238 for that exact reason. My new trigger sucked compared to another one I had just held at a different store. And it didn't get any better after 300 rounds. All I can tell you is the XD 45 and XDM 45 were nigh-on identical in the store... :cry:

It's worth noting that these trigger kits are really nice. I mean, they are not 1911 bullseye triggers, but everything you could want in a gun without an external safety (no 2 lb triggers for me with no safety, thanks).
That does sound good, while taking me over budget. :D

Sorry I did not mean to sound like I was jumping on you. Unintentional i promise. I creeped around for a month before I bought mine. I can till you I don't have a problem with mine and have definitely been liking the trigger more and more as time goes by. At first I was wanting to put in a PRP trigger but I like it very much after about 400 rounds.
No worries. I can see why you'd jump on me like that. But I'm not the person you thought I was, promise! :

Well, I managed to shoot the target below, at 10 yards, with the very first seven rounds out of my XDm. Perhaps you (WilliamG) are used to shooting much better than that when you first fire a new weapon. I am not. Three rounds out of seven keyholed inside the bull. Two more rounds out of seven nearly keyholed with the first three inside the bull ... and a couple "flyers" 1/4" to 1/2" away from the others. Creepy trigger indeed. :lol:

Very nice group! But it doesn't prove anything really. :? I've shot great groupings with TERRIBLE pistols. Doesn't mean the pistol is fun to shoot... Although in your case it works for you, which is great for YOU. ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nice shooting Tex, I hope I can shoot that good when I finally get out with mine.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts