Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several have told me about using shotgun powder for loading pistol rounds. Anyone have a recipe for using the Alliant Steel powder? LGS has abundance right now. Is it even possible?

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Certainly possible with almost any shotgun powder and I've wondered about the same thing for years. I have yet to see any data, or even a handloader mentioning they've tried it. Doesn't mean it can't be done, although you might want to ask Alliant first because you'll likely be on your own and forced to develop your own loads. You might also want to consider it's somewhat slow burn rate where it would probably be better suited to something like .38 Super, 10mm or a mid-level Magnum revolver round. ;)

·
Registered
632 Posts
I was actually thinking about trying it for 300 blackout because it is right in the middle of the commonly used powders. Since all I can find is IMR 4227 which my ar pistol doesn't agree with, and A5744, which works great, but costs $34/lb after tax, it looks really tempting at $20/lb

Sent from my Galaxy S5

·
Registered
31 Posts
Several have told me about using shotgun powder for loading pistol rounds.
Many pistol powders are shotgun powders. See powder descriptions @ Hodgdon for examples.

Anyone have a recipe for using the Alliant Steel powder? LGS has abundance right now. Is it even possible?
Google is your friend. Try "alliant steel powder for pistol"
Results will include a a thread @ Outdoorsdir forum quoting Ben Amonette of Alliant:

"We tried some STEEL in 44 mag years ago and the results were dismal.
The velocity/pressure variations were extreme. I recommend either our
2400 or 300MP powders. For these powders, data is available so there is
no need to speculate as you have done with STEEL. Thanks for your note
and have a nice day.

Ben Amonette
Consumer Service Manager"

There are also refs to threads in glocktalk, cast boolits, and others. Consensus seems to be that it's fluffy (huge flakes). meters so badly that each throw should be weighed, and is largely undocumented in pistol use.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Alliant steel is pretty slow, but could be used in the magnums, 300bo, etc. you would be essentially wildcatting, not much data out there.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
There are also refs to threads in glocktalk, cast boolits, and others. Consensus seems to be that it's fluffy (huge flakes). meters so badly that each throw should be weighed, and is largely undocumented in pistol use.
Not unlike 800x, I would assume. :confused:

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Yeah, I was really disappointed with 800x for my 10mm. Hand weigh every charge & it doesn't give me better accuracy or vel vs longshot. The rest of the can will sit on my shelf along time..

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
If data is rare for a certain powder with the "defense calibers" or even all handgun calibers there is generally a reason. Certainly most shotgun powders are suitable for handgun cases, especially the straight walled variety which is most of them. But... and this is a big but, some are wonky in small cases. International Clays is one of them, and, as the Alliant tech reported, Steel seems to be another. Sure, someone somewhere may have found a limited use for them in experiments, but even they will say it was not the best powder for the situation by any standard. So, really, unless the Zombies are crowding your lawn and Alliant Steel or International Clays are the only things on your shelf and you have no shotgun shells to use, then I would pass on those and any other powder that has been found wanting by the reloading community as a whole.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts