Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all.
I've been reloading 9mm for my 3.3 XDS using 115gr FMJ and 4.7 grains of CFE Pistol. I love the way the load handles, but its super dirty. I just ran out of CFE so I bought a pound of BE-86 under good recommendations. The Alliant website says to use 6.1 gr for 115gr bullets but I've seen others on forums go as low as 5.2 gr.

Anybody here have any experience with my barrel length, bullet weight and this powder?

·
Registered
9,425 Posts
Hey, all.
I've been reloading 9mm for my 3.3 XDS using 115gr FMJ and 4.7 grains of CFE Pistol. I love the way the load handles, but its super dirty. I just ran out of CFE so I bought a pound of BE-86 under good recommendations. The Alliant website says to use 6.1 gr for 115gr bullets but I've seen others on forums go as low as 5.2 gr.

Anybody here have any experience with my barrel length, bullet weight and this powder?

You're using 4.7grs of CFE with a 115grs FMJ bullet ?? No wonder is dirty !!
You're using LESS that the minimum specified for Lead bullets, which is 4.9grs Min, and 5.4grs Max.

I never use BE-86 for 9mm, I use it mostly for 45acp and 38Spl,
I use Power Pistol and Titegroup for 9mm
BE-86 was created as an alternative between Power Pistol and Bullseye, (less muzzle flash than Power Pistol, and cleaner than Bullseye)
Many people use it on 45acp competition, even thou the burn rate is slower than Bullseye and Titegroup, and closer to VihtaVuori N330 and Power Pistol.

Most powders like Unique, Universal, Winchester 231, and CFE have to be loaded closer to Max to burn clean, but of course, you have to start slow with different lower loads to get close to the upper limits, and find the sweet spot of cleaning-less and accuracy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense. I tuned the CFE load to match the muzzle velocity of my defensive carry loads and thats where it landed plus it handles great for steel and IDPA. I think as time goes on i may switch to the 147 grain bullets and see what that does. In the mean time im going to make a batch with BE-86 starting with 5.5gr, 5.7gr and 5.9gr with 115gr RMRs to see where that goes.
I'd still like to know what other's have done with a comparable gun.
Thanks for the reply!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.