Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Springfield XD Sub-compact 40 arrived in the usual black plastic Springfield Armory box along with one standard magazine and one of the factory extended grip high capacity magazines. I ordered the stainless model due to rapid finish wear on the blue coated XD 9mm Sub-compact I had a while back. I also opted out of the night sights due to the 2 dot (one on top of the other) causing some problems with my usual method of shooting with both eyes open. Upon receiving the gun I immediately placed a Pierce Grip extender on the standard flush fit magazine so that my little finger is not left dangling, it popped right in.

I broke the gun down and gave it a quick cleaning. Internally no surprises, everything I have come to expect from the Springfield XD line, no nonsense, quality workman like internals. The slide finish itself however was a bit more surprising, it seems to be more evenly applied with no marring or light spots. The trigger and safety components were all the same as any other XD with the polymer frame holding to the same robust quality the XD has become known for.

At the range I shot 200 rounds of WWB 165 grain Wally World Value Packs. There were no malfunctions or fail to feeds save one, when I first loaded the standard magazine I did not fully seat the round because that spring is TIGHT. Once I started to pay attention to what I was doing, everything went great. The magazines seat perfectly and the extended magazine was a true delight to use. The grip angle was like an old friend coming home, familiar and welcome. The standard grip kept the gun compact yet still managed to fill the hand comfortably. The extended magazine felt like a full sized handgun in my fist, the exception being the shortened barrel; however the sight picture looks like a standard duty weapon. What you end up with is a comfortable, quick handling .40 with a great sight picture.

Shooting the .40 was a bit of a shock, I fully expected some sharp recoil similar to what I have come to expect from compact big bore guns. To be quite fair, I seemed to remember more snap off of my Sub-compact 9mm with 147 grain Hydra-shocks. The .40 did give some snap as to be expected, but not at all unmanageable. I consider myself fairly recoil sensitive and I like to always be able to make quick follow up shots, I found that this gun recovered very quickly and controlled pairs were easy to come by. Guns that I have found to be harder to shoot due to recoil are the Glock G36, Taurus 605 snub .357 Magnum, S&W Air-light .38 special, the Kahr P9 and Kel Tec P11. I have not tried the Glock sub-compact .40 because in all fairness, it does not fit my oversized hands well at all. Thus the XD 40 comes into its own in terms of balanced feel, controllable recoil and speed. Muzzle blast was not too bad, certainly not on par with a snub magnum however one thing I did notice when running through 50 rounds of rapid failure drills and reloads, this gun can get HOT. I don’t mean the slide or frame necessarily, but the trigger. The trigger can get hot in a hurry, so if you plan to do extensive training with rapid shooting, I recommend some shooting gloves.

Accuracy of the weapon was very nice for a sub-compact. At 9 feet I could shoot as fast as I could pull the trigger with deadly results. One handed shooting slowed me down a bit as to be expected but I was still able to score center mass and head shots right handed and center mass left handed reliably. At 21 feet, failure drills were dead on, point shooting (2 rounds) at the torso as fast as possible; a quick aimed shot (1 round) at the head, no flyers, no misses and all good shots with good speed. At 33 feet, head shots got a bit more difficult and took a second longer, but were defiantly manageable. At 45 feet head shots were okay, but in a real life situation, I would be shooting torso at that distance regardless of the handgun I am carrying, just too much liability otherwise. 50 feet I was hitting a tad low of a 3 inch bulls eye, once I changed my aim, I would hit it with a bit of concentration.

Conclusions: This gun is a quality, no bull, defensive piece of equipment. While 200 rounds are certainly not capable of predicting reliability, I have generally found my “lemons” within the first 2 boxes of ammo. The price of around $550 combined with a lifetime warranty and XD’s incredible reputation leaves me one happy camper. I strongly recommend this weapon for anyone looking for a solid, light weight, compact defensive arm. This arm will soon be replacing my Sig Sauer P225 as my summer time carry piece.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Nice report. Sounds honest and unbiased to me.
Thanx.

Ed

·
Registered
268 Posts
Welcome to the family! XD's have a way of growing on you. I must warn you of one thing with the XD's and pay heed to this warning as it is a problem not to be had with other handguns. They get lonely and want company. since i bought my first one two months ago i have had two more follow me home from the funstore. no i mean gunstore. So keep a close watch as more will try and find a way into your house. they are very sneaky so keep a close look out. personaly i got tired of trying to kee them out so i gave up and now i have 3 with another one trying to get in. wish me luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Glad to hear I'm not the only one in love w/ the little .40sc. I spent this morning at the range and could not have been happier. Jagged holes at 10 yards and com w/ good speed at 20. 200 more rounds of mixed ammo and manufacture w/ nothing to show in the way of malfunction.

When I was done I loaded up 2 fresh mags of Winchester personal protection 165gr rounds and slapped it in my ccw holster for the day.

Enjoy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts