Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that my next firearm purchase will be an Arsenal SGL21, but don't know if I should go with the model that has the rail forend or not. Generally speaking, I don't use rails unless to hang a sling swivel, but I'm not sure if having one could be useful or of greater value in the future. I can get used to having it and would get the covers to smooth it out, but I like the more traditional, albeit polymer, forend. I've thought of hunting down wood furniture one day so nothing really lost either way if I were to go that route.

What do you guys/gals think? Which would you consider of greater value? With rail or without?

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
IWDNEWRom 2

I have been looking at these. they seem to have sets for quite a few variants.

it might be "too nice" for me though. I like something I can not worry about messing up.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Get the one without the rail. If you like the look of the factory polymer forend but need a little rail space later, check out the CAA LHV-47 forend (lower only for $40 shipped). It has a rail on the bottom and two on the sides. The two on the sides are removable. I think it looks pretty similar to Arsenal's polymer furniture too.

I have one paired with an Ultimak gas tube on my WASR. I like the setup a lot. There isn't a ton of unused rail space....only what I need/want. If you don't plan on running any optics then you can just use the factory upper plastic handguard with it.
Caa Command Arms Accessories AK-47/ 74 Tri-Rail Lower Hand Guard FREE S&H LHV47. Command Arms Accessories Riflescope Mounts, Rings & Bases.

pic of mine with side rails removed
http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq31/eb_311/downsized_0614111240b.jpg

·
Registered
942 Posts
id get the one without and if u decide u want rails look at Midwest Industries handguard system.
If i had anything to mount i would get MI, but the polymer handgaurd on my SGL20 has worked fine.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get the one without the rail. If you like the look of the factory polymer forend but need a little rail space later, check out the CAA LHV-47 forend (lower only for $40 shipped). It has a rail on the bottom and two on the sides. The two on the sides are removable. I think it looks pretty similar to Arsenal's polymer furniture too.

I have one paired with an Ultimak gas tube on my WASR. I like the setup a lot. There isn't a ton of unused rail space....only what I need/want. If you don't plan on running any optics then you can just use the factory upper plastic handguard with it.
Caa Command Arms Accessories AK-47/ 74 Tri-Rail Lower Hand Guard FREE S&H LHV47. Command Arms Accessories Riflescope Mounts, Rings & Bases.

pic of mine with side rails removed

The collapsible stock is very nice. I plan on adding a rail via saddle for a red dot sight. Not sure about the forend rail, but I'm thinking I may order without it. Could always be added later.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
id get the one without and if u decide u want rails look at Midwest Industries handguard system.
If i had anything to mount i would get MI, but the polymer handgaurd on my SGL20 has worked fine.
Yeah, I'm kind of leaning towards the standard forend. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
only reason to have a fore-end with a rail is for a light mount. It's not secure enough to attach an aiming device.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
only reason to have a fore-end with a rail is for a light mount. It's not secure enough to attach an aiming device.
Ok....we're not talking precision rifle with long distance shots. We're talking newbies with red dots and tac vests and light sabers and grips and death rays and funky 'niche' type brakes (cause they look cool and they have no idea if it works in real life) and BDUs and pitch forks and laser pointers and battery compartments and you know...all the stuff a growing boy needs till he finds out how heavy and ungainly it is when they finally figure out how to shoot with sights on a time limit....:twisted:...the best accessory I have ever gotten fr any of my AKs is the oven mitt I 'liberated' from my wife when it comes to serious shooting without a wood or poly handguard (AMD)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Ok.... We're talking newbies with red dots and tac vests and light sabers and grips and death rays and funky 'niche' type brakes ... all the stuff a growing boy needs till he finds out how heavy and ungainly it is when they finally figure out how to shoot with sights on a time limit....:twisted:
+1

that being said, lights are great when things go bump in the night, and I approve of target acquisition/verification.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
+1

that being said, lights are great when things go bump in the night, and I approve of target acquisition/verification.
That's exactly correct and the intelligent response. The only benefit I see for a rail would be to mount a light as I wouldn't line the sights up to something in the dark that was indiscernible. To point your weapon at the dark without knowing who/what it is is just plain stupid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts