Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I have a coworker that has a next door neighbor that has an AK47 that he wants to sell. This is an old man that has sold most of his guns and only has two left. The AK and something else. My coworker says that the gun is in great (like new) shape and has had only a couple rounds fired through it according to the old man. All the old man knows is that it is an AK47. It was made in China. It has a scope on it that was made in Bulgaria. The gun was his son's, and his son is now dead. I know this is a very vague picture, but around about how much should this gun be worth? Is there anything that I can have my coworker look for on the gun? I am totally AK ignorant. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
If Chinese made it's more then likely an MAK90 AK47, selling for 600+ now a days with the buying frenzy. Have him look on the receiver for import markings.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What will we be looking for? What should it say? Should it say a name brand on it or what? Caliber? Need a few more details as to what to look for. It doesn't help that my coworker lives 3 hours away. Not like I could go over to the old man's house and snap a few pics to post on here. Don't want to screw the ole man out of a gun, but don't want to get screwed myself...ya know.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
What will we be looking for? What should it say? Should it say a name brand on it or what? Caliber? Need a few more details as to what to look for. It doesn't help that my coworker lives 3 hours away. Not like I could go over to the old man's house and snap a few pics to post on here. Don't want to screw the ole man out of a gun, but don't want to get screwed myself...ya know.
If you can get your friend to read off what's on the sides and bottom of the receiver, you should have all the info you need to know to adequately set a 'ballpark' figure.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
If it's chinese, some of the markings may be in Mandarin.

Related question: Are Norinco's and Mak-90s different names for the same gun?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Here are some Norinco 56-1 pics for comparison.

Here's a Mak90 for ya

As far as value goes, depending on condition I think that you should be able to get anywhere between $550-850.

You also might want to check to see if it has any full-auto markings (not that it would be a NFA weapon, but sometimes they'll still have the markings). I've always thought they looked pretty cool.

These pics were taken from TheAKForum.net. If you can't get an answer here, you might want to check over there. Pics of the actual gun would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
The first pic is a close up of a Norinco reciever, the second is of a Polytech (top) and Norinco bottom, the Poly Tech is also a Chinese MAK90 AK. Both are 7.62x39 caliber.
Gunbroker can give you going rate prices.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
If it's chinese, some of the markings may be in Mandarin.

Related question: Are Norinco's and Mak-90s different names for the same gun?
No, Norinco is the name of the company that makes all kinds of firearms (among other things) in China.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
True, Norinco is a huge Chinese conglomerate that makes many different items...not just firearms. Much like Hyundai or Daewoo in South Korea.

Every Norinco/China Sports AK I have ever seen was a very well made and well finished rifle. Keep in mind that since Clinton signed that ban on importation in 1994, there has been NO Chinese firearms imported into the USA at all. In all liklihood, we may never see guns from China brought into the USA ever again....well...for the forseeable future, anyways! So for investment reasons, buying any Chinese made firearm might not be a bad idea.

Have you seen what the Norinco 1911s and Mod 97 pumpgun copies have gone up to lately? Every Chinese AK variant I see (and most SKSs) are also climbing in value. The only Chinese firearms I have NOT seen climb in value have been the 9mm Tokerevs that have the funky safety...but who knows...those might be going up someday, because they'll never be imported again.

Grab it while you can...

- brickboy240

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Keep in mind that since Clinton signed that ban on importation in 1994, there has been NO Chinese firearms imported into the USA at all. In all liklihood, we may never see guns from China brought into the USA ever again....well...for the forseeable future, anyways! So for investment reasons, buying any Chinese made firearm might not be a bad idea.
I believe you are mistaken.

Clinton only stopped the importation of "evil assault rifle lookalikes" and pistols, but not shotguns.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Yeah, the Win 97 copies might not have been in the ban....I know the Tokerevs were banned as well as the AKs and SKSs.

Still...I don't understand why the Norinco/ChinaSports marked shotties are so high. They used to be around 300 bucks but in the last 6 months or so...every one I see is 500-600 bucks.

I still doubt we'll ever see Chinese AK or SKS variants of any flavor for a very long time...if ever.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
ehhh, i'll give him what its worth. i'd say $50 bucks shipped is a good price (for me). where do i send the money order?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I believe you are mistaken.

Clinton only stopped the importation of "evil assault rifle lookalikes" and pistols, but not shotguns.
not true, most all made Chinese weapon importations were halted. that also extended into the C&R list. Chinese weapons were taken off/not included in the C&R list too, like Chinese/Korean Makarovs/TT33s for example-Chinese bayonets, M-14 clones..... The 'coach' gun came out in the 1980s, I have 1, then they dried up after clinton's ban...just like the Ithaca bottom eject shot models, then they came back when trade was reopened...it covered a lot more than just 'assault type weapons'

1 - 13 of 13 Posts