Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard about these? Seems like a fantastic idea!

Here is a very old thread on them:
The Guns Network LLC ~ Discussion Forums - AR15 mag adapter for the .223 AKs

Here is a gun selling with one:
AK-47 AK 47 in 5.56 nato or .223 uses AR-15 mags. : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

I want one!!! I have TONS of PMAGS for my AR, and it would be sick to interchange them with the AK. Even if the adapter costs $$$, the cost of Bulgarian Waffles and especially German Weiger's would outweigh the cost in a heart beat if you are buying like 5-10 of them.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I wonder it this would work on a Galil/Golani...probably not but I am still in search of one for the Galil.

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
I wonder if you would get the same precision from the AK .223 that you do from an actual AR though? Granted the AK is a to hell and back weapon that you can beat around like a 1911 and still expect it to fire.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
don't beat 1911s around too much...most of the newly produced 1911s can be finicky and are built to such tight specs....still 100% a superb platform.

and know...I doubt an AK is .223 will get you the same precision as a well tuned AR will give you.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if you would get the same precision from the AK .223 that you do from an actual AR though? Granted the AK is a to hell and back weapon that you can beat around like a 1911 and still expect it to fire.
I doubt it. But the mag has nothing to do with accuracy. That's all barrel design.

First, the barrel is not free-floated on an AK, so that already hurts performance a bit. Second, it's a Chinese made barrel. No offense to the Chinese, but there is no way that a foreign barrel could perform as well as a handmade custom Noveske barrel in an AR. AR's can be inaccurate with cheap barrels. They can get sub 1/2MOA with $$$$ barrels (mine does).

I'll hold judgement till I get to shoot her next weekend.

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Yeah, I was curious if they had re-tuned the AK-74's is what I believe they call the .223 model to be at all accurate. I guess that answers that question, it must be an Eastern Block attempt to get in with a NATO round or some such.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Yeah, I was curious if they had re-tuned the AK-74's is what I believe they call the .223 model to be at all accurate. I guess that answers that question, it must be an Eastern Block attempt to get in with a NATO round or some such.
Exactly. Poland and Israel were the only ones using the 5,56 in an AK, and not for long. Remember, the AR is a rifle that can shoot FA. The AK is just a big a$$ SMG. the AK-74 and AK-101 (5,56) can do what the AR does, the AR just does it with a lot more ease...;)...

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I doubt it. But the mag has nothing to do with accuracy. That's all barrel design.

First, the barrel is not free-floated on an AK, so that already hurts performance a bit. Second, it's a Chinese made barrel. No offense to the Chinese, but there is no way that a foreign barrel could perform as well as a handmade custom Noveske barrel in an AR. AR's can be inaccurate with cheap barrels. They can get sub 1/2MOA with $$$$ barrels (mine does).

I'll hold judgement till I get to shoot her next weekend.
China produces some nice barrels, actually, they make the most rigid (and thickest) AK barrel out there. Like Noveske is something hot?? And that pig breath thing he 'designed' belongs to the Russians..its an AKSU booster to help with cycling from a short barrel.

Bulgarian

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you expect my 5.56 AK to shoot as accurately as my AR? That being sub 1/2MOA? I can shoot 5 rounds on top of each other at 100 yards and make one hole. 20 rounds at 200 yards creates about a 1.5" hole. We'll see if the AK can do that...

And back on the topic of the mag adapter, I emailed the guy that has the gun on gunbroker and this was his response:
It came with the gun. I bought it years ago from KY Imports, they have gone out of business now. I really like it too. I have lots of AR mags also, that's why I bought it. I wish I could be more help. Thanks.

Any one else have any ideas where to get one?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Exactly. Poland and Israel were the only ones using the 5,56 in an AK, and not for long.
I beg your pardon, sir. Poland is currently fielding the Wz 96 rifle. More commonly known as the Beryl, it is chambered in 5.56 Nato. The East Germans were working on a 5.56 NATO Kalashnikov based weapon system before their dissolution (this is where all the Weiger mags came from). The Israelis still use the Galil, although with all those M16s Uncle Sugar send them, they're mostly used in non-combat positions.

Do you expect my 5.56 AK to shoot as accurately as my AR? That being sub 1/2MOA? I can shoot 5 rounds on top of each other at 100 yards and make one hole. 20 rounds at 200 yards creates about a 1.5" hole. We'll see if the AK can do that...

And back on the topic of the mag adapter, I emailed the guy that has the gun on gunbroker and this was his response:

Any one else have any ideas where to get one?
At combat distances, both platforms will perform to expectations (i.e. human COM hits).

The AK was never designed to be a sub-MOA rifle, and it's quite unfair to expect it to be one. It will center punch soldiers at combat distances all day long, which is all it was designed for.

There are a couple of vendors over at the Saiga 12 forum who are bringing AR15 mag adapters to market.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have one on order from MSA for my Saiga .223. Anxiously awaiting its arrival, which will hopefully be in about 2 weeks. :)

Thanks guys........

Stu,

Didn't know you were a Jeeper. On my second Rubicon right now, Traded my 05 in and got the 4 door. Just waiting on the rest of my Shrockworks body armor before I finish the lift and tires. Still trying to decide RE or Teraflex. Hmm.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
don't beat 1911s around too much...most of the newly produced 1911s can be finicky and are built to such tight specs....still 100% a superb platform.

and know...I doubt an AK is .223 will get you the same precision as a well tuned AR will give you.
yea 1911s in my expierence are not relible as other "service" pistols like xds sig glocks HK ect.

i would compare the 1911 to an ar15 that has tights tolerances and is more accurate and the other service pistols to the ak47 with loser tolerances but higher reliability

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I beg your pardon, sir. Poland is currently fielding the Wz 96 rifle. More commonly known as the Beryl, it is chambered in 5.56 Nato. The East Germans were working on a 5.56 NATO Kalashnikov based weapon system before their dissolution (this is where all the Weiger mags came from). The Israelis still use the Galil, although with all those M16s Uncle Sugar send them, they're mostly used in non-combat positions.

At combat distances, both platforms will perform to expectations (i.e. human COM hits).

The AK was never designed to be a sub-MOA rifle, and it's quite unfair to expect it to be one. It will center punch soldiers at combat distances all day long, which is all it was designed for.

There are a couple of vendors over at the Saiga 12 forum who are bringing AR15 mag adapters to market.
The Tavor, Galil MAR (looks the same, but very different that the AR and ARM Galil) are in front line service in Israel..the M-16, AR/ARMs are secondary.

Weiger makes Galil mags as part of Germany's punishment for the holocaust, when Galil switched to AR/NATO mags they sell them on the open market and still produce mags or Israel.

you're right about Poland...brain fart!! Thanks...;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts