Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to long guns but i love them. I have an ar build that i'm yet to shoot and i'm already considering the next build. but this time i'm thinking about coming over to the ak side. I've seen and heard all of these things about the ak being inaccurate past 250 to 300 yard but i realized i cant see past 200 or 300 yards! why be accurate for something that far away i'm not planning on fighting a war, i just want to have something reliable in case i ever need it, and something to have fun with. i know aks are cheaper than ar's i built my ar for 750, so about how much would it be to do an ak, and where can i find quality parts?

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
unless you have a very nice shop, you may be better off buying instead of attempting to build an AK. Building an AK is way more intense than putting an AR together.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
An AK is not really made to be that accurate out that far. It's better at 100 yards or less.
I'm sure there are lots of opinions on that, but it's made for spray and pray, you'll get more long range accuracy from your AR.
You can get very accurate with it, but when your eyesight gets to be like yours and mine, use a platform made for longer distances.

The AK has better penetration power than the AR as well.

Lots of good videos doing comparisons. Fun to watch as well. just google AK47 videos.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Don't listen to these guys. The AK's minute-of-Hadji accurate to about 300 yards. No, you won't be able to shoot groups smaller than a quarter that distance but... who cares?

Bulgy and Russian parts are best but good luck finding them. You can get pretty good bang-for-buck with a Romy kit.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Don't listen to these guys. The AK's minute-of-Hadji accurate to about 300 yards. No, you won't be able to shoot groups smaller than a quarter that distance but... who cares?

Bulgy and Russian parts are best but good luck finding them. You can get pretty good bang-for-buck with a Romy kit.

And Ishpeck can probably see past a hundred yards.. :rolleyes:

I can barely see a 6" group at 50 yards. But yes, Romanian are the cheapest and Russians are the best.. Get an inexpensive one and play with it. You'll find out.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
And Ishpeck can probably see past a hundred yards..
Now that, sir, is another matter entirely. I can't see much past 25 yards so it's not like it matters much. But, hey, at least I know my rifle is more accurate than I am.

But yes, Romanian are the cheapest and Russians are the best.. Get an inexpensive one and play with it. You'll find out.
Really, an AK is an AK. There are snobs out there who insist on all matching parts from a Russian rifle but... really: Who cares?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
:D

Mines a Century from Romania. I rebuilt the TCG and it works like a charm. I just can't see past 50 yards... CLEAR THE RANGE!!! :D

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
And yes, I use the term "who cares" a lot when discussing the Kalashnikov. Because that is the prevailing philosophy behind the rifle.

Enemy's behind cover. Who cares? Shoot 'em anyway.

Been crawling through mud and soot all day and the action's rusted shut. Who cares? Shoot 'em anyway.

Too poor to be able to afford a really nice rifle. Who cares? Shoot 'em anyway.

You're too drunk to be trusted with a weapon. Who cares? Shoot 'em anyway.

That's the Soviet Union and all their guns in a nutshell.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
And yes, I use the term "who cares" a lot when discussing the Kalashnikov. Because that is the prevailing philosophy behind the rifle.

Enemy's behind cover. Who cares? Shoot 'em anyway.

Been crawling through mud and soot all day and the action's rusted shut. Who cares? Shoot 'em anyway.

Too poor to be able to afford a really nice rifle. Who cares? Shoot 'em anyway.

You're too drunk to be trusted with a weapon. Who cares? Shoot 'em anyway.

That's the Soviet Union and all their guns in a nutshell.
Nice nutshell!

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Now that, sir, is another matter entirely. I can't see much past 25 yards so it's not like it matters much. But, hey, at least I know my rifle is more accurate than I am.

Really, an AK is an AK. There are snobs out there who insist on all matching parts from a Russian rifle but... really: Who cares?
Who you call'n a snob?? :twisted:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts