Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered an AK47 today from Henderson Defense... they already shipped it out, wow. But anyway, I imagine I will need to get some extra 30 round mags. I don't know a lot about them but from what I understand there is a huge difference between the quality of them. I don't want to spend too much, but i would like a good mag... any links would be appreciated and info on mag quality.

Thanks,
Monkey

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
It's simple.

Communist made steel mags = good.

US made plastic mags = do your homework. Some are horrible, and some are quite functional - all are way more expensive than the surplus commie steel mags.

There is a recent Bulgarian military mag made of polymer. These are good, too, but pretty expensive (these are not the ones with the little bullets embossed on them - the good ones are stamped with the circle 10 armory mark).

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You can usually find 5 packs of Hungarian steel mags that generally come out to about $10 a piece, and will usually come with a nifty mag pouch. The usual places are AIM Surplus and Cope's Distributing.. neither seem to offer that deal right now, so just go with the cheapest surplus steel mag you can find.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I personally use bulgarian steel mags. I have had zero problems with them. I have not shopped for ak mags for a long time, so I don't even know what a good price is anymore. Ten $s sound real good though.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've heard that Tapco are pretty good mags for the AK-47. Most places want $17 a piece for them, but I saw them at Bud's for $12 a piece and picked up a few of them.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
I've heard that Tapco are pretty good mags for the AK-47. Most places want $17 a piece for them, but I saw them at Bud's for $12 a piece and picked up a few of them.
I have 4 of the Tapco and 4 steel. They all function perfectly and the Tapco mags have no wobble to them. The wobble doesn't matter to functionality but it does bug me a little bit.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Is there any reason one would want to buy the 30 rnd mags instead of the 40 rnd mags? They are practically the same price.

·
Registered
368 Posts
cool, I just wondered if they malfunctioned more or something

·
Registered
784 Posts
if you get a vertical foregrip you might have some clearance issues w/ the 40. 30's feel a little more natural and functional

·
Registered
368 Posts
awesome thanks guys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts