Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that I've the AK, I was wondering what kind of cleaning it requires after a trip to the range. I'll probably only shoot about fifty rounds (I'm waiting for my bulk shipment to come in). How much of the gun needs to be cleaned? I figure the barrel, bolt carrier etc. How about the gas block/gas tube or the recoil mechanism? Does that require cleaning every time, or is it more of an occassional thing?
As I mentioned, I ordered some Wolf MC bulk ammo, but was curious as to how this ammo does for sighting in? Should I go with a better brand for sighting in (for grouping purposes) or is there much difference?
Also, is there a spare parts list I should get together incase of a breakage?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
So now that I've the AK, I was wondering what kind of cleaning it requires after a trip to the range. I'll probably only shoot about fifty rounds (I'm waiting for my bulk shipment to come in). How much of the gun needs to be cleaned? I figure the barrel, bolt carrier etc. How about the gas block/gas tube or the recoil mechanism? Does that require cleaning every time, or is it more of an occassional thing?
As I mentioned, I ordered some Wolf MC bulk ammo, but was curious as to how this ammo does for sighting in? Should I go with a better brand for sighting in (for grouping purposes) or is there much difference?
Also, is there a spare parts list I should get together incase of a breakage?
Thanks
Cleaning an AK, I didn't know that you had to do that :p. Mine doesn't get cleaned very often at all, I sometimes go 1k rounds before cleaning her. They're reliable low maintainance guns.
If you're planning to use this gun as a precision rifle, get another gun.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
It isn't an AR-15, so the required maintenance/cleaning is much less "complicated" and much less extensive.

If you shoot corrosive ammo, make darn sure that the first thing you do is flush the bore and chamber, bolt face, gas block, gas tube, muzzle brake, bolt carrier, and the area around the chamber inside the receiver with HOT water (yes, I said hot water) to flush out the corrosive salts.

Then clean the bore and chamber with bore solvent as you would any other rifle. Again, depending on what ammo you are shooting, you need to give the solvent plenty of time to work its magic to remove all the crap from the bore.

Clean the carbon off the gas piston head. Use some kind of bore brush and solvent to scrub out the gas tube. Clean the bolt face and bolt carrier with solvent and cloth.

After drying everything off, I apply a thin coat of your favorite CLP (MPRO7, Breakfree, etc.) to all surfaces, and last oil/lube up all moving parts (bolt guide rails, the axis pins of the FCG, the bolt/carrier where the parts move, etc., etc.).

Again, this isn't the kind of maintenance that you need to do every single time you take the AK out for a spin (unless you are shooting corrosive crap through it).

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
the AK is much easier to clean than an AR is, the internals are remarkably simple.

me clean AK? Thats unpossible.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
1. Take can of brake parts cleaner
2. Hose AK down (trying to not get brake parts cleaner on wood)
3. Let dry
4. Apply favorite lubricating oil
5. Shoot, and shoot, and shoot, and shoot, and shoot
6. Scratch head and wonder why you wasted time cleaning instead of shooting

:lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts