Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has recently found a cheap WASR-10 with a canted front sight. Is is possible to adjust the cant to vertical? Is is hard and do you need special tools?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
My dad has recently found a cheap WASR-10 with a canted front sight. Is is possible to adjust the cant to vertical? Is is hard and do you need special tools?

Thanks
1) Is it canted so far, that it can't be sighted in?

* Yes > Fix it.

* No > Where's the problem?

·
Registered
992 Posts
I've fixed canted sights on SARs and on late model WASRs. I knock the pins out with a hammer and punch, heat up the area with a cigarette lighter for a few minutes, wrap a towel around the front sight tower (to prevent non-factory scratches), and give it a few love taps with a hammer.

To check to make sure it is reasonably straight, I center the front sight post in the sight block, then tie a piece of dental floss around the front sight and run it back through the notch in the rear sight. This gives me a good idea of a straight line of sight. Once you get it perfect/good/close (or even "fuggit") put your pins back in and head back to the range to re-zero.

Notice that I didn't mention any complex tools whatsoever. If you are even remotely useful with primitive caveman implements, you can do this. :razz:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If it isn't too bad, you can get a front sight tool and adjust the sight side to side to get the post centered. It will be offset inside the wings, but the post will be centered.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
To check to make sure it is reasonably straight, I center the front sight post in the sight block, then tie a piece of dental floss around the front sight and run it back through the notch in the rear sight. This gives me a good idea of a straight line of sight.
That's a great idea!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts