Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to track down an AK-74, preferably a Bulgarian AK-74. However, I can't find one! I've gone to all my local shops and they've scoured their distributors and cannot locate one for me. Before I go any further let me declare I don't want to spend more than $600 on the rifle. That limit includes shipping and transfer fee. I've checked budsgunshop, centerfiresystems, copesdistributing, jgsales, aimsurplus and several others--anyways the list goes on. I just don't know if I can drink the ultra expensive AK koolaid. Granted an Arsenal is only several hundred dollars more but that's what it would cost to get new furniture and mods as well as ammo. I have to ARs in 5.56 and two AKMs in 7.62. I've already spent more than I probably should or wanted on the ARs so I just don't know if I can justify spending AR money on an AK. Someone please help, or atleast join me in complaining. Also do magazines seem to be drying up as well? I'm I late to the cheap shooting AK party? I hope not! Thanks guys, charlie mike

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Here is some in southern california where I'm sationed.. lol

Feds: AK-74 assault rifles stolen from Fort Irwin

By Michael Martinez, CNN
July 31, 2011 8:45 a.m. EDT

Twenty-six AK-74 rifles and one Dragunov rifle were stolen from the Fort Irwin Army Post in Fort Irwin, California.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Federal authorities say some of the stolen assault rifles may have reached Fresno, California
  • Some arrests have been made in the theft
  • Authorities say dozens of weapons were stolen
Los Angeles (CNN) -- Federal authorities are investigating whether any of the 26 AK-74 assault rifles and a Dragunov rifle stolen from the Fort Irwin Army Post has ended up in Fresno, California, a spokesman said Saturday.
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation have offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of individuals behind the July 15 theft of firearms from an army supply warehouse in Fort Irwin, California, an ATF official said.
The AK-74 is an updated version of the more commonly known AK-47. The modified version of the assault rifle was introduced by the Soviet army in the 1970s.
Authorities said some arrests were made after employees at the storage warehouse were interviewed, but no further details were available Saturday and other suspects were still being sought.
Federal authorities have received reports that some of the firearms have reached Fresno, and authorities have notified officials there of that possibility, a spokesman told CNN.
"Although our agents and officers are vigorously investigating this theft, we request the public's assistance to help us arrest and prosecute those individuals responsible for this crime," special agent John A. Torres of the ATF's Los Angeles office said in a statement. "Community participation is necessary to improve the likelihood that ATF and our law enforcement partners will track down the firearms as well as the criminals who have sought to destabilize our community through illegal activity."

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
"Although our agents and officers are vigorously investigating this theft, we request the public's assistance to help us arrest and prosecute those individuals responsible for this crime," special agent John A. Torres of the ATF's Los Angeles office said in a statement. "Community participation is necessary to improve the likelihood that ATF and our law enforcement partners will track down the firearms as well as the criminals who have sought to destabilize our community through illegal activity."
maybe eric holder brought ATF in and "liberated" them for his cartel friends.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
gunbroker.com they are all over it for a little over 5

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Your Tantal gets you into the cheap shooting party just fine and mags are cheap enough too.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I finally picked up a Tantal knowing full well it was a gamble. I researched the shiz out of it and had a handful to sort through. Took a pulled bullet to the shop with me, removed muzzle brake and went through the hassle of checking for proper barrel diameter. I paid $409 for it and have a one year warranty from the shop so even if Century decides to be lame I have their guarantee. Here a pictures, since it happened ha

Plan on buying more mags as funds allow

Here the muzzle brake is removed and the 5.45 projectile has been inserted. Since a picture of me using a cleaning rod to send it down the barrel is boring.

Here are the first 6 shots through the rifle at 25 yards. The bottom group being my first group of 3 and the top group being my 2nd group of 3. Gentleman this is how it shot out of the box. The second shot group was just an adjustment in my point of aim. I never had to adjust my front sight post.

Once I knew it would hit where I was shooting I dumped several 30 round magazines and then began taking aimed shots at 50 and 75 yards and had perfectly normal bullet impacts and absolutely NO keyholing.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
Yeah I finally picked up a Tantal knowing full well it was a gamble. I researched the shiz out of it and had a handful to sort through. Took a pulled bullet to the shop with me, removed muzzle brake and went through the hassle of checking for proper barrel diameter. I paid $409 for it and have a one year warranty from the shop so even if Century decides to be lame I have their guarantee. Here a pictures, since it happened ha

Plan on buying more mags as funds allow

Here the muzzle brake is removed and the 5.45 projectile has been inserted. Since a picture of me using a cleaning rod to send it down the barrel is boring.

Here are the first 6 shots through the rifle at 25 yards. The bottom group being my first group of 3 and the top group being my 2nd group of 3. Gentleman this is how it shot out of the box. The second shot group was just an adjustment in my point of aim. I never had to adjust my front sight post.

Once I knew it would hit where I was shooting I dumped several 30 round magazines and then began taking aimed shots at 50 and 75 yards and had perfectly normal bullet impacts and absolutely NO keyholing.
Fn sweet!!

gratz man!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got a Century Arms Tantal Sporter for $350.00. It came with 5 mags. 4 of them turned out be 7.62X39 mags but I was able to trade them off for 5.45 mags and some ammo at the gun shop I work at.

Thanks for this useful post Bonehead. When I get home in the AM will pull a bullet and the muzzle brake and check the bore out on mine. I hope mine is like yours.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The US military maintains as many foreign weapons as possible, for both weapon familiarization courses, as well as OpFor appearance during training etc.

The same reason we have a handful of MiG fighters, and tanks from around the world.

There isn't a soldier or serviceman serving in Iraq or Afghanistan who shouldn't know how to properly handle an AK series rifle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts