Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a lot of removal of sights on the board. Was curious if any one has tried heating the slide instead of freezing it. We mechanics always like using the blue wrench rather than the BMF hammer. I was thinking of either in the oven or a heat gun, you can even get a welding crayon that turns colors at diff. temps, say 250 or 300 degrees. Then once you reach your desired temp. you could touch an ice cube or ice pack to the sight and it would contract, then procede to tap w/brassy. What do you think, worth a try or stick with freeze? Used to save an awful lot of ford wheel cylinders this way, but just used water on the 1/4 bleeder screws on removal.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I'm not questioning your expertise. I am in no way a mechanic. I just work on things when they need workin' on. That said...

Wouldn't that cause stuff to warp? I don't suppose that the slide could as it's pretty beefy and the sight wouldn't because it's small, but still...just a theoretical question.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I read here somewhere they bake the slide at 300 or 350 when applying the dura coat or some other coating. As for the other means of heat, in noway would I use the oxy-acetelene, way to hot and not a good idea. The heat gun, if a high quality one was used should be able to expand the slide as long as you can quench the sight that is going to be removed first, is should shrink and ease out with the brass punch. The means of the shrink would be best without direct water, I was thinking an ice pack that would be in a first aid kit or for use in a cooler, or even possibly using an aerosal spray freeze product for pain or burns may be the way to go?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I haven't tried it.

You do bake MolyResin at 300 degrees for an hour but they recomend stripping the slide so springs, firing pin, etc... won't be affected by the heat.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you have to resort to punches do you change the temp. of the slide for any added ease of removal?

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
No, I actually use punches more than I do the pusher......I found its easier to use the pusher for installation and it give me great control on centering the sights. Now just bout a week ago I did have a sight that would not move I did try heat to melt the loctite but it still would not come out. I have never froze a slide and as I said only once tried the heat, but plenty of people have and and they say it works.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just my opinion, using heat as to bake would more than likely expand the sight as well, being a smaller mass the sight would probably expand greater than the larger mass being the frame. Now using the opposite method being cold, the same theory applies, the sight being the smaller mass it would probably shrink faster than the slide giving you more advantage...to use heat you would have to apply it fast to the area around the sight only which would probably cause some warping as well as change the properties of the metal, not a good thing....I myself would go with ajames theory use the right tool for the job or remove it with a punch at room temps. Remember this is Just my opinion a machinist of 18 yrs.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's why the quench is so important to contract the sight. It should push or drift out with little effort. When I'm ready to change out my sights I may give it a shot, but I'll let ajames or another pro do the install!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts