Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Newbie here and first time gun owner. I fired many guns, but the XDM just stood out to me and I had my heart set on getting one ever since.

I recently got one - XDM-9 4.5 and I love it.

The issue I am having is that the holsters I have aren't naturally comfortable. This gun is heavier than others, and due to the way the XDM is (especially with the striker pin indicator at the back), it is uncomfortable when I sit down with it holstered in my lame-appendix holster. I am assuming that it is because the holster was "store-made" (aka, not made by a legit holster maker) and not much thought was put into it and it wasn't made for the XDM, that's why it feels like this.

I also have a second-hand Smart Carry that was made for another gun, that conceals very well but because it was made for a smaller gun it doesn't feel like I think it should feel (i.e. that I shouldn't notice that I have on the gun, versus it hurting me after a while).

I prefer to carry at my Appendix, so I would love some comfortable AIWB suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
TT Gunleather or Desbiens BUT if you are new to handguns I might hold off on appendix carry and get some experience before doing so. Nothing against it but it really isn't the best choice for someone without some well-refined safety habits.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions Hadama. I am a gun newbie, but I do have well-refined safety habits.

In order to get my CCW permit, I had to do thorough training.

So safety isn't an issue for me. It really is just a matter of comfort now.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I recommend Alien Gear tuck 2.0 I have a XDm 4.5 9mm too and I know what you mean by being uncomfortable especially when you sit down.. Well I'm sitting down right now with the Alien Gear Holster and my gun and its a little bit uncomfortable right where the grip is pushing into my back a little. (would happen with any holster) But compared to other holsters its very comfortable.

Its pretty cheap you can get one for $35 plus shipping.
The downside is it takes about 6 weeks to get it.. They have a huge demand and send a ton of holsters out each day.

Look them up you will find nothing but good things about them and they are one of the most comfortable holsters out there.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I love my Aegis Armory holster. I tried the Alien Gear holster but it's not a comfortable design at all.

Will run you around $55 but totally worth it. Very comfortable from the get go!

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
a = appendix

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I recommend Alien Gear tuck 2.0 I have a XDm 4.5 9mm too and I know what you mean by being uncomfortable especially when you sit down.. Well I'm sitting down right now with the Alien Gear Holster and my gun and its a little bit uncomfortable right where the grip is pushing into my back a little. (would happen with any holster) But compared to other holsters its very comfortable.

Its pretty cheap you can get one for $35 plus shipping.
The downside is it takes about 6 weeks to get it.. They have a huge demand and send a ton of holsters out each day.

Look them up you will find nothing but good things about them and they are one of the most comfortable holsters out there.

Have you tried it in Appendix Carry? That's how I carry.

Just curious.

Thanks for the suggestion btw.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love my Aegis Armory holster. I tried the Alien Gear holster but it's not a comfortable design at all.

Will run you around $55 but totally worth it. Very comfortable from the get go!
This doesn't quite look like it is suitable for appendix though.....or am I mistaken?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I just tried it and its ok.. I sat down too..
I'll be honest though a 4.5 is not the gun to carry appendix. You need to get a 3.8.

I carry at 4 oclock.. I don't really want to carry appendix because I kinda want to keep my junk haha!
Just kidding I know the XDm is very safe, its just I'd still rather not have the barrel pointing at me that much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just tried it and its ok.. I sat down too..
I'll be honest though a 4.5 is not the gun to carry appendix. You need to get a 3.8.

I carry at 4 oclock.. I don't really want to carry appendix because I kinda want to keep my junk haha!
Just kidding I know the XDm is very safe, its just I'd still rather not have the barrel pointing at me that much.
Given how difficult it was to get my 4.5, I am not inclined to change it any time soon.

I would rather change my holster until I get one that works.

For what it's worth, the Smart Carry is an awesome deep concealment holster. I just want something less deep for EDC.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Given how difficult it was to get my 4.5, I am not inclined to change it any time soon.

I would rather change my holster until I get one that works.

For what it's worth, the Smart Carry is an awesome deep concealment holster. I just want something less deep for EDC.
Ok yeah my bad Alien Gear isn't appendix carry holster even though it can be used as one its not made for it.
Good luck on finding a holster that works for you!

·
Registered
429 Posts
On Your 6 Designs in San Antonio. I'm right handed but I got mine lefty....I wear in 6 position...I plan getting one in RH...I can sit in my car with it on and I'm comfy...$35 Carbon Fiber or colored $30 Black short turn around.
Conceal Carry Holster in San Antonio TX
image.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On Your 6 Designs in San Antonio. I'm right handed but I got mine lefty....I wear in 6 position...I plan getting one in RH...I can sit in my car with it on and I'm comfy...$35 Carbon Fiber or colored $30 Black short turn around.
Conceal Carry Holster in San Antonio TX View attachment 30632
Nice.

But this looks like you should have the same problem I do - i.e. with the striker pin up against your stomach (especially when sitting).

Also, is the carbon fiber similar to a Kydex material? i.e. when you draw, does it fold back up so you have to use your finger to make sure it is open when re-holstering or does it just stay open like a Kydex holster would?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Conceal Carry Holster in San Antonio TX View attachment 30632

Also, I am not seeing your holster on the site. Just smaller ones for the XDS or XDM 3.8.

Can you link me directly to your holster please?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
That is a strange looking holster. Where is the clip?
the MIC has no clip, relies on friction. I was skeptical but it does work, stays put for general carry. I don't use it every time I carry but like it when want absolute minimal (while still keeping trigger safely covered)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts