Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am familiar with the requirements for carrying a handgun o for airline travel as far as being unloaded in a locked airline friendly case and being declared. My question is what happens to the firearm after you check it in? I am assuming that it is not delivered on the baggage carousel. How is it retrieved when you reach your destination?

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Your firearm travels in a hard, locked container within your luggage. You declare it when you check in, show the ticket agent that it is unloaded and locked, then they place a card in the case and you take it all over to TSA to check it in as usual. You pick it up just like any other piece of luggage. It is a low-key, no hassle deal with most airlines...

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your firearm travels in a hard, locked container within your luggage. You declare it when you check in, show the ticket agent that it is unloaded and locked, then they place a card in the case and you take it all over to TSA to check it in as usual. You pick it up just like any other piece of luggage. It is a low-key, no hassle deal with most airlines...

Cheers! M2
Thanks for the reply. That makes me feel better about taking it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just remember that the arilines "never" lose luggage, right? Take it for what it's worth. If it's that important that you be armed wherever you're going, you might want to make arrangements to borrow a firearm from someone you trust at your destination rather than risk arming some theif/careless employee/whatever. However, if you're traveling for a competition or something, then circumstances are different. Just my 2 cents though.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Just remember to look up on the airline's website about how much ammo you can take on the airplane. I was moving across the country and packed about 20lbs or so and then Southwest made me weigh out exactly 12lbs down to the bullet. Thank goodness my wife was with me to take the extra back to our place...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Travelling with a firearm is shockingly easy. The first time it's not, but that's because of self-induced worry.

Just remember that the arilines "never" lose luggage, right? Take it for what it's worth. If it's that important that you be armed wherever you're going, you might want to make arrangements to borrow a firearm from someone you trust at your destination rather than risk arming some theif/careless employee/whatever. However, if you're traveling for a competition or something, then circumstances are different. Just my 2 cents though.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
After you check your luggage your firearm will not go through the normal luggage channels, it's treated as priority as no airline wants to deal with a lost firearm for obvious reasons. There is very little chance of you firearm being lost, your luggage on the other hand is a different story.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
There has been a couple of horro stories of people not getting their weapon for months or at all...

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Depending on the airline, you may have to pick up your luggage from a different area (ticket counter, baggage claim office, etc.), but I think most just send it to the carousel like any other bag.

I suggest getting a cable lock in addition to the padlock for the gun case. Use the padlock (or two) to lock the case, and the cable to secure it to the inside of your luggage. This way, anyone wanting to "lose" your gun will have to "lose" the entire bag. I think most airlines insure your checked baggage for up to $3000 in the event of loss.

·
Premium Member
5,363 Posts
I flew Southwest and it was a breeze, the only problem I had was that I put some ammo in a round screw lid Tupperware container and they were loose. TSA of course searches the bag as you watch them. The guy was cool and said I'm sure you didn't know and he took the ammo wrapped it in napkins and put it back into the Tupperware. I locked the firearm he asked me if anyone else had a key. I told him no, I watched them scan the luggage and I was all set. When I got to Tampa I picked up my bad from the carousel like everyone else. I opened the luggage right there at the carousel to check and make sure my babies were safe. No problems. Also the airlines insure you for up to 3k. It was a breeze. The weirdest thing was racking the slide at the ticket counter to show them it was clear. When I flew back from Tampa the lady didn't even ask to see that the gun was clear. She just said is it unloaded? I said yes we taped the declaration to the outside they walked me to TSA where they sent it through X-ray.

·
Premium Member
5,363 Posts
Very important the locks on the hard case must not be tsa approved..

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Very important the locks on the hard case must not be tsa approved..
Never even thought about it, but that's a good point. TSA doesn't want to be able to open the case!

And to be honest, the case doesn't have to be equal to Fort Knox. I flew with two revolvers that were in a simple WalMart-bought lock box. However, I used trigger locks and would use a cable lock for my autos as well as the SA ILS system. Can never be too sure!

Also, thanks for the info on the $3000 insurance, I never knew that but it makes me feel better!

Cheers! M2

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
If it is a handgun. I would buy small handgun case and place it in my checked luggage. You will still have to declare it but at least it will be safer in the large luggage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts