Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All;

Well, after being on backorder forever, my Aim Surplus NiB bcg came in. Was excited about using it at the range, and after inspection it looks like a pretty good BCG. Stripped it down, gave it a wipe down and lube, and then tried to run it in my Core15.

I now have a single shot AR!!! :-(

I will charge the rifle, fire.... the action will cycle and eject the spent casing. Hammer will cock..... BUT, when I squeeze again, all I get is a click. No round is stripped off the mag. I tried 4 different mags, no luck with any of them.

When I put in my stock BCG back in, there is no problem, so I know it is the Aim BCG.

Any thoughts? Does it just need to run a few mags to get "loosened up".... maybe tight tolerances are not letting it cycle fully in order to strip the new round.... any thoughts??

Thanks all... have a great weekend... Happy Halloween and be safe out there!!

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Try firing just one round in the mag to see if the bolt locks back after firing. It may have a problem "short cycling".

How much oil did you put on the gas rings?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I condensed this for you. It appears that you answered your own question.

Hi All;

Aim Surplus NiB bcg came in.

I now have a single shot AR!!! :-(

When I put in my stock BCG back in, there is no problem

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Full auto carrier before? If not weight change needs a buffer change $8

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
I had an issue like this with a Panther ... I could never figure it out I tried everything and eventually sold the upper. Keep us updated as I literally had the exact same issue as you did.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as oil on the rings, it was a light coat. I'll clean and do a more significant oil on them next time to the range

I was curious about other changes that may be needed. I don't think the original bcg is a full auto.... I will look for a lighter buffer.

If I put in the lighter buffer, will that then cause problems with the original bcg??

Appreciate the help!!

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Have you checked your gas block ? As was said earlier my prognosis was short cycling I just could never nail the direct issue that's why I sold that upper off

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Have you checked your gas block ? As was said earlier my prognosis was short cycling I just could never nail the direct issue that's why I sold that upper off
if it runs fine with the factory BCG, it isn't a gas issue. It will be a BCG. Get some fine Caracas cloth or sand paper and ease the edges and smooth over the rails of the BCG. Always sand in the direction it will run. Not the first time i have heard of NiB carriers being tight, especially from Aim and PSA. I have had no issues with the ones from Surplusammo.com (and the franken bolt) , blems from Shadow ops, and Ares Armor NiB BCG.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
if it runs fine with the factory BCG, it isn't a gas issue. It will be a BCG. Get some fine Caracas cloth or sand paper and ease the edges and smooth over the rails of the BCG. Always sand in the direction it will run. Not the first time i have heard of NiB carriers being tight, especially from Aim and PSA. I have had no issues with the ones from Surplusammo.com (and the franken bolt) , blems from Shadow ops, and Ares Armor NiB BCG.
It's a gas volume issue. . Buffer change will solve it

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
It's a gas volume issue. . Buffer change will solve it
how so?? Unless the new carrier is substantially heavier then the factory one, how is it a gas issue?? I had the same issue with an AIM NiB BCG. I sanded/polished and it worked just fine. My BCGs from BCM, Ares Armor, Franken bolt, DSA Melonite, and a WMD NiB worked just fine. And this was in my 10.5" SBR. Sure wasn't a gas issue. It also hung up in my mid length, and my other 2 carbines, but not as bad. 2 Anderson sport uppers, DSA upper, and a UCWRG (Umbrella Corp) HUUCR upper. All my BCGs except the NiB from AIM worked. It ran the worst in the DSA upper. Just going off my personal experiences.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Is the new BCG's gas key down tight and staked?
This should be the first question. Like "sir, have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?"

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
This should be the first question. Like "sir, have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?"
Oh, you're a Windows support tech?

(sorry, couldn't resist. I'm too new to ARs to have any useful input, so back to the knowledgeable guys. I'm learning lots here.)

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have not yet tried any suggestions, but to answer questions:

Yes, gas key is tight and staked properly.
Gas volume issue.... probably not since it runs great with factory bcg

Will try tne polishing then the lighter buffer.
Thanks for all the thoughts.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
One more thing I forgot to ask: the gas rings at the tail of the bolt - is it 3 separate rings, or one big spiraled ring? If it's the 3 rings, are the gaps staggered? Yes, some people claim it doesn't matter, but my issued M16's and M4's never had a gas problem, and neither does my Spike's with a NiB BCG and I keep mine staggered.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
One more thing I forgot to ask: the gas rings at the tail of the bolt - is it 3 separate rings, or one big spiraled ring? If it's the 3 rings, are the gaps staggered? Yes, some people claim it doesn't matter, but my issued M16's and M4's never had a gas problem, and neither does my Spike's with a NiB BCG and I keep mine staggered.
Not to derail, but I heard conflicting reports on the staggering.
I stagger mine either way. Can't hurt anything.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Still, it doesn't hurt a thing to stagger them. Yes, I am aware that some known trainers have run AR's with a single ring to dispel that myth, but...

I believe in giving myself all advantages available when it comes to my firearms. Run 'em like they were designed, or take up club-swinging for self defense.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Still, it doesn't hurt a thing to stagger them. Yes, I am aware that some known trainers have run AR's with a single ring to dispel that myth, but...

I believe in giving myself all advantages available when it comes to my firearms. Run 'em like they were designed, or take up club-swinging for self defense.
Shouldn't be the deciding factor but when your short every bit helps.

Op put your new bolt in the old carrier check for function. Old bolt in new carrier check for function. Let's localise the problem.

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
First off, I think swapping your buffer will probably fix the issue. But a lot of people over look extractor springs. One of my favorite part about BCM BCGs is they have really rugged extractor springs. And if you run SBR they come with the o ring for the extractor which puts the extractor on steroids. They do sell an upgrade kit.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts