Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I only shot the stock P99 in 9mm. I liked it all except the long heavy pull on the first shot. I think the QA is suppoed to have a short heavy pull on everyshot, at least from what I saw in the literature. The sights are good, easy to change out front for elevation and easy to adjust rear for windage. I found the sights to be dead on on my P99 after I got the windage right. Extremely accurate gun for a 4"barrel. Getting a Jarvis Barrel for it also helped.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think the QA is suppoed to have a short heavy pull on everyshot
It is a heavy pull but not so short! It breaks about 3/4 into the pull!

How do the sights line up 6oclock?
I use Point of Aim for mine! It may be different for you tho'. I have some windage adjustment's to make on my P99 but POA works for me!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have shot an xd in .40 caliber and a whalther p99 in 9mm.

I have a problem with the p99, the grip is real comfortable, but the backstap curves to far back into the fram. when ever i shot the p99, it would dig into the top of my thumb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
u mean right between the thumb joint and the index finger. Whenever it fires it seems to hit there. Maybe my grip isnt right or im not used to it or the wrong sized backstrap for me. anyone else find that?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I have a friend who was asking me questions about this pistol.. is this the P99 that is a Walther, marketed by S&W? It looks like a sweet piece! I have never shot one, but it looks comfortable, and similar in design to the XD, so I am sure I would like it.

The one I was looking at on-line had three different rear straps for comfort, a mag release that seems kind of unique, (a thumb lever on the trigger gaurd) and the internal drop safety, internal firing pin, loaded chamber indicator, adjustable rear sights... all in all a pretty nice pistol!

Raymond

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have a friend who was asking me questions about this pistol.. is this the P99 that is a Walther, marketed by S&W? It looks like a sweet piece!
They are imported by S&W. They have their own version called the SW99. I think on the .40 cal the slides are manufactured by S&W but the 9mm's are 100% German made! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
580 Posts
my best friend owns a P99QA and has owned it for about a year. he loves it. i love it. he's got "girly" hands, so he often complains of the wounded hand he has after shooting it extensively. i've shot his multiple times, and i'm as accurate with it as i can be.

from the times i've played with it, the QA has an interesting trigger. you can decock it, to make it long, heavy pull. or (here's where it gets weird) when in "single action" it has a long trigger, although EXTREMELY light in the first portion, then it begins to release the sear as normal. you can even lock and load, and then pull the trigger back a bit, and have it set partially rearward. however, i'm no P99 guru, i might have the AS and QA versions confused.

what that function serves, i have no idea. but i still like the gun. it has the ambi mag release, and top of the slide decocker. adjustable rear panel on the grip to fit it to each shooter, and the sights are awesome. 17, 16, and 15 round mags are available. accessories for it are rare, and expensive as would befit german guns. ;-) regardless, its an EXCELLENT weapon.

:)

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Yes, that does help. The SW99 is specifically what my friend (whom I happily refer to as the "missing link") was referring to. I will forward this thread to him...

He doesn't participate in this forum, he is more of a rifle person.. has some beautiful rifles.. but IMO, he should have a pistol, so he can fight his way home to get his rifles if he needs them!

What he was attracted to about this pistol was the slim pistol grip, and the ability to change out the backstrap to adjust for his small hands. I don't know for sure if he has ever picked up an XD, but I think he feels that the XD will be too big in his hands to be comfortable. He also likes that it comes in .40 S&W.. which he rightfully feels is a more practical caliber because it allows for larger capacity mags, and maintains the slimmer proportions.

Raymond

·
Registered
427 Posts
What he was attracted to about this pistol was the slim pistol grip, and the ability to change out the backstrap to adjust for his small hands. I don't know for sure if he has ever picked up an XD, but I think he feels that the XD will be too big in his hands to be comfortable. He also likes that it comes in .40 S&W.. which he rightfully feels is a more practical caliber because it allows for larger capacity mags, and maintains the slimmer proportions.
That's what got me this pistol!!! :lol: I suffer from the "short finger syndrome". I have normal sized hands but my fingers are on the short/stubby side (no I DO NOT have grossly disfigured hands :lol: ). Anyway, I have the smallest backstrap on mine right now cause I can't get a comfortable grip with the others. The XD SC fits me perfect tho' (just got one of the pearce grip extensions and that fixed the "hanging pinky"). Tell him to give it a try, I wanted mine as soon as I picked it up.

from the times i've played with it, the QA has an interesting trigger. you can decock it, to make it long, heavy pull. or (here's where it gets weird) when in "single action" it has a long trigger, although EXTREMELY light in the first portion, then it begins to release the sear as normal. you can even lock and load, and then pull the trigger back a bit, and have it set partially rearward. however, i'm no P99 guru, i might have the AS and QA versions confused.
You would be describing the "AS" trigger (Anti-Stress). I have the QA (Quick Action). The QA is one constant trigger pull (bascially a DAO) and to me seems a little long and heavy! The decocker system on the QA's is to disengage the firing pin for takedown. My QA will not fire with the decocker depressed. To re-cock just pull the slide 1/8" - 3/8" and it will be ready to go. From what I understand in terms of the AS, it's a SA/DA and the "Anti-Stress" trigger is a safety feature (to prevent AD's when dropped). There may be a little more to the AS trigger (i'll have to check into it).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts