Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a box of this at a gun show, just on pure curiosity. It's marked:

Aguila .22 Colibri Sans Poudre (no powder in English) 20 gr. bullet

A little research shows the round fires on the primer ignition only and must be shot in pistols only due to the danger of a bullet lodging in a longer barrel.

OK, I get the idea, but the big question is - what's it good for?

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
It shoots just fine from rifles; used it several times in that role.

It's great for very, very discreet pest removal at short ranges.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Is it the regular Colibri or the Super Colibri? I have fired a couple hundred rounds of each through both my single-action and Marlin 981. Great for.. well.. punching paper discreetly in the basement and knocking squirrels off feeders and veggie plants from 20 yards or less. VERY quiet out of the 20" Marlin, like quieter than a hand clap.

FWIW, I had no squib issues with the rifle, but I paid VERY close attention to my target and made sure every one actually left the barrel. I probably wouldn't try them in anything semi-auto. Of course it's not going to cycle, but I would be afraid of the action contributing to squibbage.

They're fun to play with, though.

Blah blah Galaxy S4 blah ForumRunner.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I believe this could make my airgun very very unhappy if I can find some! Thanks OP for posting this

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I use the Super Colibri in my Browning BL-22 lever rifle with no issues. It is not as loud as my pellet rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
These must be .22 SHORT. All the .22 short I have ever seen has the light bullet and is propelled by primer compound only. As Cuda says, they seem to be favored for "mouse control" without a lot of noise by some people. They are also decent for punching paper at a limited distance. I have myself fired them from a shorter barreled rifle when I was a kid without incident, but since safety is always a concern, make sure you see a hole in whatever it is you are shooting at before you fire the next shot if you use them in a rifle. They seem to work ok in tube fed magazine rifles of the bolt or lever action variety, but they will not, of course, operate a semi-auto or feed from box or rotary magazines.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
These must be .22 SHORT. All the .22 short I have ever seen has the light bullet and is propelled by primer compound only. As Cuda says, they seem to be favored for "mouse control" without a lot of noise by some people. They are also decent for punching paper at a limited distance. I have myself fired them from a shorter barreled rifle when I was a kid without incident, but since safety is always a concern, make sure you see a hole in whatever it is you are shooting at before you fire the next shot if you use them in a rifle. They seem to work ok in tube fed magazine rifles of the bolt or lever action variety, but they will not, of course, operate a semi-auto or feed from box or rotary magazines.
No, they are LR cases with a tiny, conical-point 20gr bullet.

The feed fine from box mags...

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
It shoots just fine from rifles; used it several times in that role.

It's great for very, very discreet pest removal at short ranges.

I have them loaded in my Savage/Anschutz . Trying to kill an armadillo in my yard. Discretion is needed, as I live inside the City limits . Score--armadillo 10, hunter 0--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
I used it for rats (four-footed and winged) inside of a building.

Worked dandy.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
No, they are LR cases with a tiny, conical-point 20gr bullet.

The feed fine from box mags...
Oh ok, that's something new then. Perhaps filling a need for some rifles or pistols that only take, or do better with, the LR configuration, like the box magazines previously mentioned. I still have no doubt they will NOT operate a semi-auto of any type.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts