Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the range last Thursday for some practice. This was the fourth time I have shot my XD-9 Service and the fourth time I have shot a handgun. Two weeks ago I felt like I had made a lot of progress, I focused on not slapping the trigger and got my groups pretty dang close. this week was different, I was trying to focus on my grip and recoil control and I guess I was overthinking instead of just shooting.

Anyways, all of the results are from 7 yards. I shot a few 15 yard online comp. targets and needless to say I'm ashamed for anyone to see them :mad:

I watched the grip guide video on Springer Precision's website and tried to mimic what he was doing. I'm really starting to think it might be best to get some coaching before I get set in my ways. Or maybe I'm too reactionary and should just calm the hell down :mrgreen:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Coaching someone long distance, especially through the internet is probably the worst possible way to impart a new skill. Still, it's all we have. It really sounds as though you are flitting from one topic to another with each session, never actually mastering any.

Have you ever tried to shoot this gun from a supported position--say from a rest or a sandbag? This would free you from all but the minimum effort to hold a point of aim and a minimum of recoil control thus allow you to concentrate on just the trigger work and breathing. The upside is once you get the support technique under control, you will actually see satisfyingly small groups-a great confidence builder.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
"4th time you have shot a handgun..."

There are a lot of people out there that would be more than happy with your results so far....jeez...did you think you were going to put all of them in the center of the target on the first trip?

Lighten up on yourself and just keep shooting....jeez....:roll:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Practice...... start off very slow and concentrate and as suggested shoot the pistol off of a rest to take most of you out of the picture, second practice trigger control it is usually the #1 reason for not getting on point

Do you belong to a local club ? if you do try to hook up with someone that can point out what you are doing wrong, it's usually easier for someone to stand behind you and see what you don't

Enjoy yourself, shooting is supposed to be fun !!!!

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
You did fine. On overthinking things, probably - but that's a pretty normal behavior for new shooters. Relax yourself and have a good time at the range, that way if you do well you're happy and if not, it's no big deal & you still learn something. Honestly, just keep at it.. things will just feel more natural with time, but you're off to a great start!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Wow, I wish i had groups like that the fourth time I shot a gun. It took me a year to hone my original skillz with a sigpro.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
I'd say just calm down and get used to how it feels to shoot your pistol. Once you're completely confortable with that, concentrate on trigger pull. If you find yourself wondering when will the damn trigger break, you're taking too long to pull the trigger. If you're waiting for the sights to cross center so you can pull the trigger, you're probably going to jerk/slap it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
"4th time you have shot a handgun..."

There are a lot of people out there that would be more than happy with your results so far....jeez...did you think you were going to put all of them in the center of the target on the first trip?

Lighten up on yourself and just keep shooting....jeez....:roll:
Big +1 here. I've only had a chance to take my XD to the range twice (it's my first gun ever). I am working at being a good shooter, but not expecting too much of myself--after all, I'm just a newbie like yourself.

First of all, I'm trying to learn the basics of safe gun handling and learn what it feels like to shoot while just trying to land some shots on the target. Then I'm adding on to that to gradually get better control of the gun and shoot better groups--slowly pulling the trigger, sighting, eyes open through the shot, etc. More than anything, I'm trying to enjoy it, because if I don't, I won't be using the gun very often. Right now, I'm trying to find more time to go to the range. Take your time!

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Considering that an average adult male's chest can be anywhere between 15" and 20"+, I would say you're doing very well with a 7" group for your 4th time shooting.

It's not always about bulls eyes, but hitting your target as many times as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I have no advice to give you. I have no motivation. But I would like to say...NICE AVATAR!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Let me add: these are by far the three best targets, I had numerous targets at well over 7 inch groups.
I had the opposite day at the range but I have lots of time behind a pistol. I found that dry firing at targets around the house and watching to make sure you do not tip, push or pull when the firing pin breaks always helped me the most.

No mag. No ammo near you. You must make sure it is empty every time you decide to practice. Your hand strength will improve as well.

Don't forget to have fun!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Find a local USPSA club near you... go to United States Practical Shooting Association and use the club finder tool on the left to find a local club... Theres an infinite amount you can learn at a match, and lots of friendly people there to help out with LOTS of experience...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Whoa man lighten up!!! Rob Leatham wasn't a pro after shooting 4 times out!!! Just have fun and get used to shooting first then start honing your skills!!! Remember; SHOOTING IS FUN!!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
All good advice there and I noticed in your post you talked about "controlling recoil". I'm really new at this myself but noticed that once I stopped worrying about controlling recoil on my own shots, I started getting better (still a long long ways to go).

I took a CCW class recently and you should see the shot that some of those folks were (and a lot of em were using .22 or .380). You are doing just fine, trust me. There's a lot to think about and practice for new shooters. So like someone else suggested, practice dry firing.........a lot.

·
Registered
329 Posts
man my fourth time out i would have loved to shoot that well. it looked like maybe you were concentrating too much on controllling recoil and started healing your shhots. work on just shooting and getting used to recoil before trying to control it. i had around 1000 rounds through mine before i tried to " control recoil". which you really want the gun to recoil, as that is part of your follow through for the shot. you just want to get back on target quickly for follow up shots. the best thing that will help has already been mentioned, and that is dry firing your gun. you won't hurt an xd doing that and it really gives you an opportunity to work on the fundamentals of breathing and trigger control. work on it for about 30 minutes every night for a week and then you can go to less time as you get more used to working on it. then next time at the range you will see remarkable differences in groups. and remember to always have fun. sorry so long winded.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Best Advice In The World:
Buy a .22, shoot the crap out of it until you are nail-driving 'em.

You are doing well, no worries.
+1

i got my p22 exactly for this very same reason - To learn accurate pistol controll on a platform that goes 'boom' affordably.

I still try to shoot my major caliber whenever possible, but the .22 makes sure i get out shooting on a regular basis. It also makes sure i can fire several hundred rounds EVERY time i go shoot.

Practice WILL make perfect :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts