Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a bunch of 45ACP from my brothers father in-law. It's some pretty old stuff. most is factory new, a little is factory reload. The majority of the amm is PMC. does anyone know how to tell exactly how old it is? The boxes have lot numbers but no dates.

I plan on using it just for some target shooting. Would any of you have reservations about using it? Some of the cases have a little surface corrosion that I plan on cleaning off with a scotch bright pad or steel wool. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. I shot some .45 from WW2 not long ago and didn't have any issues. As long as it's stored properly ammo can last for decades. If you would like you can ship a couple boxes to me and I will test it for you. :p

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
those pmc poxes dont look too old, id say 90's era or better. whats the sticker price say on it? that should give you some clue.

·
Premium Member
12,117 Posts
Shoot it up. Unless the cases are severely pitted or weakened the worst that could happen is a hang fire or a *click*. I've got some Bulgarian 54R from 1952 that still shoots just fine.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Don't worry about the corrosion, either. If it's just discoloration, don't even waste time rubbing it off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The price on the PMC is 9.99 but it also says "discounted" so that may be a bit misleading. Wish .45 was still that price. :)

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
If there are any concerns, send them to me and I will run them through my 1911. I'll even pay the shipping .... LOL.

I've fired reloads that were loaded in 1982 and got shoved to the back of the closet and forgotten. No problems as long as they aren't wet.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
A couple of the older boxes may have some collector value. THose cartridge collector guys will spend an amazing amount of money to get something to put in a cabinet. Specificaly the Rem & Peters boxes & it looks like one box of US mils spec. I would hold back on those, bounce the pic around to see if you can make some money & buy more ammo or better yet, your own reloading setup.;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts