Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I had TFOs on my XD40SC and changed them out for Trijicons. The TFOs just looked to big on the Sub-Compact other than that they were great but I have really come to love the Trijicons and they look a lot better as well. I still have TFOs on my XD45C and they are great and they don't look to bad either and are very bright day or night.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know folks around here are big on night sights, but I have to break from that crowd and say I do not like them, especially the typical three dot type. The common belief is you need your sights to glow so you can see them in the dark if you ever have to use your gun in poor lighting conditions. Night sights do not illuminate your target, and that's what I want to see. Most of the Trinium sights out there are not very visible during the day, they are wide to accommodate the Trinium vile, and thus tend to cover up too much of your target at medium to longer distinces. They are usefull for finding your gun in the dark, but that about it.

If you must have them, I suggest Heinie straight eight sights, you can get the rear blade opened up to .156 for a little extra cost which gives you plenty of light on both sides of the front blade which makes them faster to aquire. Also, the human eye can aline vertial objects faster than horizontal ones, so stacking dots up and down, is easier and faster than the typical three dot system.

XS sights work well in the dot over dot configuration and are very fast, but the big dot version covers up an entire man size target at about 20 - 25 yards so accurate shooting at distance is much more difficult. I had some XS sights with the small dot and they worked fine, again, just not very precise. Because we are talking defensive handguns, in close is were you will need your gun, so precise shots at distance should not be an issue. Still, most folks don't practice just at short range and can get disappointed when their precision diminishes with the instillation of their new wiz-bang sights. For an XD9sc I think the XS sights would be great as it is not a long range shooter anyway.

Also think about getting somthing other than "sight sets" and look at a front blade (maybe with trinium) from one manufacturer and getting a rear sight from somewere else. The Warren Tactical rear sight is increadable, and most folks use it with a fiber optic front sight, but you could use it with anything.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
I guess the name night sights is misleading They should be called low light sights. Yeah they don't illuminate the target but they make it MUCH quicker to align the sights in low light conditions instead of hunting for the sillouete of the notch and blade you just put the front dot between the back two and fire.

IMO no carry weapon is complete without tritium low light sights and a handheld or rail mounted light.

Now as for brand stay away from PT nite sights. I had them for about 2 weeks. The rear blue dots were brighter than the front dot which was so dim it almost had to be pitch black to see it. One of the rear dots went out in 2 weeks after install. I think that had to do with the smith that installed them. I think he hit it too hard and cracked one of the vials.

I moved onto Meprolight sights and I'm very impressed with them. Orange rear green front. I love them. Right at 100 dollars delivered and installed.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
You can do them yourself but unless you have the proper tools to do the job the correct way I would just have them installed by a smith.

My gunsmith installed them with an actuall sight press instead of hammering them in like the other smith did on the PT sights. They look factory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.