Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious as to whether or not it is possible to hard chrome a chamber and bore that was not originally hard chrome lined.

I have a HBAR barrel coming in the mail, that is a 1/7" which is what I really really want, but I dont want to put a non-chromed barrel on my SHTF gun. My own anal-ness really.

So, does anyone know if this can be effectively done? I have another barrel on the way also that is chrome lined, heavy profile but is 1/9" which is less desirable to me. I got both though, figuring what the hell, I can always build another rifle later.

Please though, any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Sorry, you can't according to Patrick Sweeney. The chrome lining process adds a layer of metal. A barrel previously bored for 5.56/.223 cannot be chromed at a later time as the bore would end up too small. The maker must over bore enough to compensate before chroming. It is difficult to make the chrome the exact perfect thickness to compensate the over bore evenly down the entire length of the barrel and chrome can fill in the rifling edges. That is why non-chromed barrels tend to be more accurate and precise.

You might be able to find an experienced gunsmith who can over bore and chrome the chamber, but I think that would risk ruining a barrel unless the gunsmith has done this many, many times and has a solid reputation.

Most of the ammo I can buy locally is 50-62 grain which shoots very well (if not best) with 1/8 or 1/9 rifling. 1/7 may be good for heavy bullets (not easily available to me) but can be too fast of a spin for some light bullets.

By insisting on a 1/7 rifling and chrome lining, you sound like a follower of "The Chart". For me, I AVOID barrels with 1/7 rifling and chrome lining.

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Sorry, you can't according to Patrick Sweeney. The chrome lining process adds a layer of metal. A barrel previously bored for 5.56/.223 cannot be chromed at a later time as the bore would end up too small. The maker must over bore enough to compensate before chroming. It is difficult to make the chrome the exact perfect thickness to compensate the over bore evenly down the entire length of the barrel and chrome can fill in the rifling edges. That is why non-chromed barrels tend to be more accurate and precise.

You might be able to find an experienced gunsmith who can over bore and chrome the chamber, but I think that would risk ruining a barrel unless the gunsmith has done this many, many times and has a solid reputation.

Most of the ammo I can buy locally is 50-62 grain which shoots very well (if not best) with 1/8 or 1/9 rifling. 1/7 may be good for heavy bullets (not easily available to me) but can be too fast of a spin for some light bullets.

By insisting on a 1/7 rifling and chrome lining, you sound like a follower of "The Chart". For me, I AVOID barrels with 1/7 rifling and chrome lining.
Dude, you just bought a solid one piece polymer lower AR, and your telling SVTHuh that he shouldn't, or it's not worth, getting a chrome lined barrel????

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
What W.R. is trying to tell the OP is that aftermarket chroming isn't doable and that his anal-ness (sic) probably could be treated by either a bovine enema or psychotherapy and anti-anxiety medication. There's nothing miraculous about a chrome-lined barrel for a shtf rifle. The odds of the OP's ever needing a shtf rifle are somewhere between infinitesimal and zero, but probably a lot closer to zero. The ONLY thing you're going to gain from a chrome-lined bore is a little ease of bore-cleaning and a few thousand more rounds before the barrel's shot out. You WILL sacrifice a little accuracy with chrome.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
To quote myself:
"For me, I AVOID barrels with 1/7 rifling and chrome lining. "

Barrel treatments, rifling ratios, and materials have advantages and disadvantages. I like the theoretical increased accuracy of a non-chrome lined barrel. I think a 1/8 or 1/9 twist works well with the range of bullet weights readily available to me. I don't need the anti-corrosion properties of chrome lining that the military requires. If I had my choice I prefer a high quality stainless barrel in 1/8 or 1/9, but also have a 1/9 chrome lined Stag barrel, and non-chrome lined chrome moly barrels (Wilson barrels supplied on my Rock River Arms) and all shoot well (far better than me).

Other people might have different needs and priorities, and more power to them.

I would genuinely like to know why the OP wants/needs a 1/7 chrome lined barrel. For example if he lives near salt water, I have seen sea spray corrode untreated metal on vehicles. If he plans on shooting only heavy weight bullets, 1/7 rifling may be better for his needs. If his requirements are solely based on "the Chart", then that is a different story.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The Wilson Chrome-Moly Barrels are one of The Best & Hardest steel out there. And accurate! NOT chrome lined. Chrome Moly Steel. Extremely Hard! If you want a SHTF barrel. I'd go with the Wilson Chrome Moly.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
To quote myself:
"For me, I AVOID barrels with 1/7 rifling and chrome lining. "

Barrel treatments, rifling ratios, and materials have advantages and disadvantages. I like the theoretical increased accuracy of a non-chrome lined barrel. I think a 1/8 or 1/9 twist works well with the range of bullet weights readily available to me. I don't need the anti-corrosion properties of chrome lining that the military requires. If I had my choice I prefer a high quality stainless barrel in 1/8 or 1/9, but also have a 1/9 chrome lined Stag barrel, and non-chrome lined chrome moly barrels (Wilson barrels supplied on my Rock River Arms) and all shoot well (far better than me).

Other people might have different needs and priorities, and more power to them.

I would genuinely like to know why the OP wants/needs a 1/7 chrome lined barrel. For example if he lives near salt water, I have seen sea spray corrode untreated metal on vehicles. If he plans on shooting only heavy weight bullets, 1/7 rifling may be better for his needs. If his requirements are solely based on "the Chart", then that is a different story.
Again, like you said in your "Plastic Fantastic" thread.... "If it's good enough for the government it's good enough for me".

Also: "By insisting on a 1/7 rifling and chrome lining, you sound like a follower of "The Chart". " Dude buy a damn gun off the chart and shut it.

I never said you could do aftermarket chroming, just pointing out W.R.'s analness about the Chart. I mean, doesn't your new SDI have a chrome lined barrel? It should if it just got a military contract.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Again, like you said in your "Plastic Fantastic" thread.... "If it's good enough for the government it's good enough for me".
He said that?

Also: "By insisting on a 1/7 rifling and chrome lining, you sound like a follower of "The Chart". " Dude buy a damn gun off the chart and shut it.
Why? The chart is nothing more than a subjective list, put together by fanboys. Nothing more. Just because it's on "the chart" doesn't mean it's going to serve YOUR needs. And just because it's NOT on "the chart" doesn't mean that it won't serve your needs. Forget the stupid chart.

I never said you could do aftermarket chroming, just pointing out W.R.'s analness about the Chart. I mean, doesn't your new SDI have a chrome lined barrel? It should if it just got a military contract.
He didn't say that you SHOULDN'T have a chrome barrel. He was just trying to help a guy not get stuck with something he doesn't want or need, based on some goofy chart.

If you like the chart, buy something off the chart. Get your 1/7 barrel twist, and then try shooting 40 gr. rounds through it. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Im curious as to whether or not it is possible to hard chrome a chamber and bore that was not originally hard chrome lined.

I have a HBAR barrel coming in the mail, that is a 1/7" which is what I really really want, but I dont want to put a non-chromed barrel on my SHTF gun. My own anal-ness really.

So, does anyone know if this can be effectively done? I have another barrel on the way also that is chrome lined, heavy profile but is 1/9" which is less desirable to me. I got both though, figuring what the hell, I can always build another rifle later.

Please though, any info is appreciated.
He said it?

And I don't know why you would shoot 40gr. bullets?? 55gr is the lightest I would go.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Whatever. Shoot 55 gr. through your 1/7. :rolleyes:
Ummm... I've shot 55gr. through my 1/7 bbl. What's wrong with that? I'm not competition shooting I'm just punching paper in the woods or shooting tin cans off the mound. Yes, I'll get better results w/ heavier bullets but at the moment I don't have any. So I shoot 55gr through it.

Does that make it bad?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ummm... I've shot 55gr. through my 1/7 bbl. What's wrong with that? I'm not competition shooting I'm just punching paper in the woods or shooting tin cans off the mound. Yes, I'll get better results w/ heavier bullets but at the moment I don't have any. So I shoot 55gr through it.

Does that make it bad?
That's fine. If accuracy and keyholing aren't an issue to you, whatever...

But don't argue that you're better off because of it.

·
Registered
29,877 Posts

I've never had 55 grain bullets keyhole out of my 20" 1:7 FMP barrel.

Do heavier bullets get better accuracy? Yes, they do...but as far as practical accuracy, it doesn't really seem to make a difference until you break the 200 yard mark.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts

Seriously man, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

Where did you get that I'm better off because of it? I asked a question to get an answer. I didn't state that I was better off.

I'm sorry if you think that I think I'm better than everyone.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've never had 55 grain bullets keyhole out of my 20" 1:7 FMP barrel.

Do heavier bullets get better accuracy? Yes, they do...but as far as practical accuracy, it doesn't really seem to make a difference until you break the 200 yard mark.
Cool! 20" barrels do tend to do better, being that they have more barrel length to stabilize the bullet. The OP is talking about building a fighting rifle though, so something tells me his barrel is going to be shorter than yours.

1/7 is optimal for heavier bullets, so if that's all you shoot, then go for it.

The whole point is, just because it's on some list, doesn't mean it's the best for your needs.

Buy it because you've done the research, and found out whether it's what suits your needs, not because it had the most tics on a spreadsheet. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Seriously man, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

Where did you get that I'm better off because of it? I asked a question to get an answer. I didn't state that I was better off.

I'm sorry if you think that I think I'm better than everyone.
That was a general statement. I'm saying, there's nothing wrong with a 1/7, and it might still work. But to actively seek out a 1/7 barrel doesn't make much sense, unless all you shoot is heavier bullets.

"The Chart" is very misleading for first time buyers, who see a check-mark next to the 1/7 barrel, and automatically assume that that particular rate of twist is somehow "desirable".

There's NOTHING wrong with a 1/7. If your rifle serves your needs, then GREAT. I'm glad you got what you wanted/needed.

A silly chart is not going to tell you what you need. It might help you decide what you want. But it doesn't give enough background or objective information to really help a buyer make a conscious decision as to what is going to best suit his needs.

If he needs 1/7, that's what he should get. If it turns out that he DOESN'T need 1/7, he may find himself unhappy with his decision to purchase what was on "the chart", with no useful information to help him make an informed decision.

WR and I were simply trying to help the guy make an informed decision, and everybody's getting bent out of shape over it.

The chart is a joke.

Useful for helping you find a weapon that has a particular set of pre-determined features. But absolutely worthless in helping someone find out what features are actually 'desireable' to THEM.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Cool! 20" barrels do tend to do better, being that they have more barrel length to stabilize the bullet. The OP is talking about building a fighting rifle though, so something tells me his barrel is going to be shorter than yours.

1/7 is optimal for heavier bullets, so if that's all you shoot, then go for it.

The whole point is, just because it's on some list, doesn't mean it's the best for your needs.

Buy it because you've done the research, and found out whether it's what suits your needs, not because it had the most tics on a spreadsheet. :rolleyes:
Isn't a Military issue M4 a 1:7 twist? Don't they only use 55gr and 62gr bullets? If it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Isn't a Military issue M4 a 1:7 twist? Don't they only use 55gr and 62gr bullets? If it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.
Yes, but not everybody else shoots only 55gr and 62 (and sometimes 77gr) bullets.

Shoot whatever you shoot. But buy a barrel that's actually suited to the bullets you shoot.

If you only ever shoot 55 gr. then shoot it out of your 1/7, and be happy with it.

But again, don't buy your rifle, based on whatever had the most tic marks next to it, on somebody's speadsheet.

Do the research, find out what suits your needs, and buy that!

That's all I'm saying.

I'm not trying to piss in anybody's cheerios here. I'm sorry if you are offended because you got a 1/7, and think that 1/7 is the sh*t.

Maybe it IS the sh*t for YOU.

And I'm happy for you. :wink:

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
That was a general statement. I'm saying, there's nothing wrong with a 1/7, and it might still work. But to actively seek out a 1/7 barrel doesn't make much sense, unless all you shoot is heavier bullets.

"The Chart" is very misleading for first time buyers, who see a check-mark next to the 1/7 barrel, and automatically assume that that particular rate of twist is somehow "desirable".

There's NOTHING wrong with a 1/7. If your rifle serves your needs, then GREAT. I'm glad you got what you wanted/needed.

A silly chart is not going to tell you what you need. It might help you decide what you want. But it doesn't give enough background or objective information to really help a buyer make a conscious decision as to what is going to best suit his needs.

If he needs 1/7, that's what he should get. If it turns out that he DOESN'T need 1/7, he may find himself unhappy with his decision to purchase what was on "the chart", with no useful information to help him make an informed decision.

WR and I were simply trying to help the guy make an informed decision, and everybody's getting bent out of shape over it.

The chart is a joke.

Useful for helping you find a weapon that has a particular set of pre-determined features. But absolutely worthless in helping someone find out what features are actually 'desireable' to THEM.
I see... But just a little FYI, I also don't agree with the chart. I only disagree with it because a lot of the people who push the chart onto people are people who think that everything else is crap. Yes, I like high-end stuff too, but you will never hear me preach, HIGH END ONLY! Nor will you hear me put down somebody because they just bought a DPMS. It's those attitudes that make me go against anything that is put out by them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts