Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask the question because I am trying to get comfortable with carrying my XD with one in the chamber. For about a week now, my gun has been cocked with the chamber empty just so I can gain that confidence that it won't go off (while I'm 99.9% it won't, this is just that extra reassurance that I need).

I notice that when a lot of people reassemble their XD, they release the striker. Why do you not leave it cocked? Is there any negative to leaving the XD cocked 24/7 365? While indirect, the question is focused on seeing what the negatives are, if any to leaving a gun cocked, 24/7 365 with a round in the chamber.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
There's no downside to leaving the gun cocked with a round in the chamber, but what's the point if you don't have a round in the chamber? You could falsely think yes, the gun is cocked and infact it will be, but there's nothing in the chamber.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I ask the question because I am trying to get comfortable with carrying my XD with one in the chamber. For about a week now, my gun has been cocked with the chamber empty just so I can gain that confidence that it won't go off (while I'm 99.9% it won't, this is just that extra reassurance that I need).

I notice that when a lot of people reassemble their XD, they release the striker. Why do you not leave it cocked? Is there any negative to leaving the XD cocked 24/7 365? While indirect, the question is focused on seeing what the negatives are, if any to leaving a gun cocked, 24/7 365 with a round in the chamber.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Maybe it's their version of a function check? I tend to test the safety devices after I take apart a weapon...just to make sure everything's still working as it should (and that I didn't somehow reassemble the fire control group that I didn't take apart back together wrong)...

Pretty much unnecessary, but it's a habit from my days with the M16.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I always function check a gun after I reassemble it. Why not, its piece of mind and you never know if a spring or somethign could have slipped out of place.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I keep one in the chamber, it is my defense weapon and if its not immediately usable then whats the point. if you're worried about the spring being in one position for so long, take it to the range and send a ton of rounds down range. that spring gets to move alot then. :D

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I don't even pay too much attention to it. I never have a round chambered so it doesn't really matter. I don't even have a magazine in my gun during storage in it's safe. So, I better know that there isn't a round in the chamber !! :lol:

I always function check a gun after I reassemble it. Why not, its piece of mind and you never know if a spring or somethign could have slipped out of place.
I agree completely. I usually do two function checks just for the hell of it.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I do it as mostly a function check. After that it tells me if there is around in the chamber. Unloaded striker in, loaded striker out. Besides I still pull the slide if there is still a question so I can check the chamber.

·
Premium Member
127,085 Posts

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Do you put your car up on blocks when you get done driving? :)

Springs are worn out by cycles, not load.
God I wish that were a sticky and that newbs would actually read the stickys lol

I carried with an empty cocked chamber for a week too, the XD was my second pistol after my 1911 and thus my first one without a manual safety. Learned to trust the XD :)

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Yep.

·
Registered
40 Posts
the cocked striker indicator tells you the striker is cocked.....there's another thingy that tells you if there's a round in the chamber. As for releasing the striker after reassembly, why not...good function check. When I remove a round from the chamber to store the weapon, I usually don't release the striker....as I understand things, the spring is just as happy compressed as it is relaxed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It wasn't long ago that I bought my 9SC and had the same question. I'm an old 1911 man and was a little concerned about carrying with a round in the chamber. I now have a round in the chamber at all times except when cleaning or going to the range.
Two statements that have been made over and over here and other forums are;
1. Springs are worn out by cycling, not load.
2. A gun with an empty chamber is just another club!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Nothing wrong with carrying a new gun with the gun cocked and chamber empty for a while to build confidence in the off chance you do something while carrying that might let the striker fall (poor holster fit, clothing getting in the way, etc.). better to be surprised with a click than a bang!

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Nothing wrong with carrying a new gun with the gun cocked and chamber empty for a while to build confidence in the off chance you do something while carrying that might let the striker fall (poor holster fit, clothing getting in the way, etc.). better to be surprised with a click than a bang!
I would rather have a negligent CLICK then a negligent discharge (ND) before I learned how to utilize the XD's safeties. Definitely get comfortable carrying without one in the pipe till your confidence is 100%. It will get there!
I holster my XD with my thumb on the striker indicator. This way the beaver tail won't allow the trigger to be pulled by a snag defeating the trigger safety. Not likely to happen but I need that hassle like I need a hole in my leg! :lol:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I carry with one in the chamber and cocked all day long for 12 hrs a day.and i am moving around not just sitting.if you have a proper holster(i use the crossbread iwb)the triger is well garded.dont worry carry with one in the chamber.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I finally got familiar/comfortable enough with the XD-40 and carry it with one in chamber. Always treat the weapon as being loaded...with this in mind it makes it easier to carry, at least it does for me. In addition, the spring got a good workout this afternoon at the range :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I first got an XD over four years ago after many years of 1911 and revolver carry. I discovered that knowledge of no long hard trigger pull (revolver) or no manual safety (1911) just intensified what I thought was good "trigger-finger control".

I soon realized that if you have good trigger finger habits and a good holster there's no reason not to carry loaded (and plenty of good reasons to carry loaded).

But that's just me; you should not carry any weapon in any manner that you are not comfortable with. Don't let anyone "bully" you into carrying if you feel it's unsafe (you can get an XD with a manual safety if you feel safer).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts