Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to let everyone know, I just came back from the range after using my newly purchased 9mm conversion barrel in my XDM 40 Cal.

Outstanding performance:):razz: the barrel was purchased from ""Storm Lake""", and it was worth every penny I spent $165.00:). No fitting needed - Drop in and Go.

Now if Springfield:D or someone would come out with a 22 conversion for my XDM, I could go to the range every day..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I bit the bullet so to speak and purchased two 9mm clips, it seemed at the time Midwayusa had the best price on them.
When you start messing with the 40 clips lips, you start running into trouble and then it's not worth it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently purchased a .40XDM, was there a particular reason you went for the conversion kit? I also have a 9mm and i know there less expensive to shoot, but I was just asking out of curiosity.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lex I changed barrels just because of the cost of shooting. I fire several hundred rounds every two weeks and on Social Security I have to watch my pennys. The 9mm makes it half price.

I have written to Springfield Armory and asked if there was a 22 conversion for the XDM and XD in the works. I wish more XDM owners would do the same thing. Kimber, Browning, Kel-Tec and several others have put out a 22 conversion for their customers so they can shoot their carry weapon in practice a lot cheaper. Everyone should take the time to write SpringField Armory.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I bit the bullet so to speak and purchased two 9mm clips, it seemed at the time Midwayusa had the best price on them.
When you start messing with the 40 clips lips, you start running into trouble and then it's not worth it.
When are we going to stop using"Clips" for the proper term Magazines. I know it's been said a thousand times but it's irritating to read.

My M-1 Garand uses clips but all and I mean all of my pistols use Magazines.

Sorry just couldn't take it, George

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
When are we going to stop using"Clips" for the proper term Magazines. I know it's been said a thousand times but it's irritating to read.

My M-1 Garand uses clips but all and I mean all of my pistols use Magazines.

Sorry just couldn't take it, George
Probably when we stop saying "mag" instead of magazine and "buffer tube" instead of receiver extension and "ammo" instead of ammunition and "gun" instead of rifle or pistol or firearm...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Yoda,

Do you have the 3.8 or 4.5? Was thinking about doing the same thing...just spent a hundred bucks on ammo last week!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Just to let everyone know, I just came back from the range after using my newly purchased 9mm conversion barrel in my XDM 40 Cal.

Outstanding performance:):razz: the barrel was purchased from ""Storm Lake""", and it was worth every penny I spent $165.00:). No fitting needed - Drop in and Go.

Now if Springfield:D or someone would come out with a 22 conversion for my XDM, I could go to the range every day..
Amen on the .22 conversion. I am looking at getting a conversion kit for my .40. Is yours the 3.8 or the 4.5?

·
Registered
465 Posts
This is great info. I didn't know there was any kind of conversion. I was looking at buying a nine. Thanks and I would agree on putting some heat on SA for a .22 conversion. Heck this a big forum dedicated to shooters who love their products. They should get a hint on what we need/want.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Even got a "lurker" to come out and say it, we need a .22 conversion! i am about to drop some cash myself on at least two, maybe three XD's, just havent decided which. My biggest gripe with the XD is no .22 coversion. Just cant decide on the XD or XDm. i have an XD40sc and love it!

Please excuse my typing and errors for a bit. im trying a new touchscreen and speech recognition software.

thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm still rather new at this. I shoot my XD-SC 40 pretty well (hit the core on paper targets). But I find after 50 rounds, if I don't have my shooting hand way up on the grip, the recoil makes my hand sore after awhile. So I thought about getting a 9mm conversion kit. But my question is, will the recoil be all that different? I know you can't know my sense of the recoil, but just philosophically, if all that gets converted is the barrel (and of course the size of the cartridge) will there be a significant difference in recoil?

Second question, regarding threads. I looked at Storm Lake's site and it seems they don't make a kit for my gun but they talk about threads being an extra cost. If they had a barrel for my firearm, would I want threads? Fire Dragon does sell a barrel for the XD-SC 40 but it is out of stock.

Thanks so much.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
With both a lighter bullet and less powder, the 9mm should show less recoil than the 40SW. If you reload, you can go light with either round. Some conversions will gain increased functional reliability with a lighter recoil spring for the 9mm.
Threaded barrels are for installing compensators or suppressors.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
I'm still rather new at this. I shoot my XD-SC 40 pretty well (hit the core on paper targets). But I find after 50 rounds, if I don't have my shooting hand way up on the grip, the recoil makes my hand sore after awhile. So I thought about getting a 9mm conversion kit. But my question is, will the recoil be all that different? I know you can't know my sense of the recoil, but just philosophically, if all that gets converted is the barrel (and of course the size of the cartridge) will there be a significant difference in recoil?

Second question, regarding threads. I looked at Storm Lake's site and it seems they don't make a kit for my gun but they talk about threads being an extra cost. If they had a barrel for my firearm, would I want threads? Fire Dragon does sell a barrel for the XD-SC 40 but it is out of stock.

Thanks so much.
It looks like you know how to hold the pistol, that is, with your hand as high as the grip will allow. My opinion is that you ought to practice shooting correctly. Do not allow yourself to try to correct bad shooting technique with equipment changes. first, get the technique down, then decide if you want new equipment. (you may still get the conversion, and that is not "wrong" but you should get it for other reasons.)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have an xd svc model storm lake barrel, 2 9mm pro mag magazines, 9mm bore snake and about 150 lead reloads if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a storm lake for my m&p 40c and it works great. I'm waiting on efk firedragon to get their conversion for xd sc in-stock..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts