Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm watching a show history international called after armageddon. Very interesting. Basically walks through life after a complete economy breakdown. Kind of like a real life one second after for those that have read the book. If you can, I'd recommend recording it. If you've seen it, what did ya think?

·
Registered
339 Posts
That sounds really interesting. I will have to see if it airs again and set my DVR. There is some good stuff on the history channel. They had one called Life After People a couple of years ago that was about what would happen if all people on earth suddenly vanished.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds really interesting. I will have to see if it airs again and set my DVR. There is some good stuff on the history channel. They had one called Life After People a couple of years ago that was about what would happen if all people on earth suddenly vanished.
Life after people was on after "after arageddon". They had what would happen in vegas and another popular gambling area that i can't remember right now lol. Went from Day 1 to 1 million years in the future.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Always fun to speculate on what would happen in TEOTWAWKI but there is slim to none chance of it happening. Human society has evolved for thousands of years. That accumulated knowledge just won't disappear over night. Better to spend time, energy and resources on preparing for things that we know are going to happen than wasting it on fantasy.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Always fun to speculate on what would happen in TEOTWAWKI but there is slim to none chance of it happening. Human society has evolved for thousands of years. That accumulated knowledge just won't disappear over night. Better to spend time, energy and resources on preparing for things that we know are going to happen than wasting it on fantasy.
Agreed ... also, the scenerios have way too much left leaning, tree hugger b.s. Like "now without the evil, polluting humans, pristine nature returns, and mother earth heals" bla, bla, bla.

The tin foil hat on my head makes me wonder if they aren't conditioning us for extermination ...

well, probably not ... but, I'm not a big fan of those "after people are gone" shows.

·
Premium Member
127,710 Posts
I'm watching a show history international called after armageddon. Very interesting. Basically walks through life after a complete economy breakdown. Kind of like a real life one second after for those that have read the book. If you can, I'd recommend recording it. If you've seen it, what did ya think?

Definitely a good read, IMO.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
we just got thru REALLY po'ing and embarrassing a proven nutcase nuke power, murdering someone who was under their protection. what do you think would happen if Nyc was suddenly a smoking nuke crater, hmm? u think our economy would survive? If you do, you are seriously ignorant about the facts.

All the stock exchanges are FULLY backed up out of state. All, or so close to all to be meaningless, of the companies HQ'ed in NYC are also backed up out of state. You never heard of "the cloud"? Yeah, it would suck to BE in NYC if a nuke was let off, but it wouldn't crater the economy. Not even close. That's the legacy of 9/11-- duh.

·
Registered
403 Posts
A really serious outbreak of something extremely lethal would do it, a la The Stand. The thing about all that accumulated knowledge is putting it to use requires expertise, and if enough of the right people are gone, we might not have enough operational expertise to keep things going.

For example, the knowledge of how to maintain a hydroelectric dam might be out there, but I can't do it. If all the people who know how to maintain the dams die off, then keeping the dams going becomes extremely difficult. Multiply that times all the things that keep modern society going, and you can see the scale of the problem.

·
Registered
99 Posts
And, a lot of knowledge is stored electronically nowadays. If power is out, it cannot be retrieved. What would be the chance of finding the exact information/how-to books on something you need specifically in the library?

·
Registered
602 Posts
And, a lot of knowledge is stored electronically nowadays. If power is out, it cannot be retrieved. What would be the chance of finding the exact information/how-to books on something you need specifically in the library?
Just fire up the laptop and do a Google search. Simple.

Oh, wait...

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Note to self ... Get paper and ink ... Must get hard copy before power blows!

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you resort to waterboarding, you will find out ANYTHING that you would need to know to survive!

·
Registered
78 Posts
If America were to go to sh!+ I think it would probably start with our electronics. Think of the movie live free or die hard. That's probably how it would go down. We keep so much stuff in electronics and the new technology of "the cloud" that it's not even funny. Just imagine if a hacker was to get a hold of even half the important files we keep in electronics. Just something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Always fun to speculate on what would happen in TEOTWAWKI but there is slim to none chance of it happening.
Agreed, it is far more fun to imagine and watch monies about then to live through.

Better to spend time, energy and resources on preparing for things that we know are going to happen than wasting it on fantasy.
Agreed that the most likely should be prepped for first but never say never on a complete collapse! As mentioned rampant disease, nuclear war, solar flares causing complete electronics failure would end society as we know it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I am of the belief that based on circumstances anything can happen....While I don't think tomorrow I am going to wake up to nuke sirens and zombies crawling about, I do think it is quite possible that something could happen which would put those who are prepared on top...We are only human... but not to stray too far off topic I enjoy the shows about armageddon I think they are interesting and give a different perspective on things....

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Note to self ... Get paper and ink ... Must get hard copy before power blows!

Went to Boarders closing sale and got a copy of

The ultimate guide to US Army Survival skills, tactics and techniques.

954 pages for 4 bucks.

See which is more valuable with no power, my book or an Ipad. Double check your answer when you have to take a dump and you see all those pages in my book...

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
See which is more valuable with no power, my book or an Ipad. Double check your answer when you have to take a dump and you see all those pages in my book...
Unless you have a 30W solar panel that charges a 150 watt battery that can recharge any of your electronic gadgets.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts