Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this question has been asked before by new guys.....but I just got my CC permit want some advise on location to carry and the best holster to get. I have not yet purchased my carry yet but I am moving toward the XDm 3.8 compact 9mm. Is this a good carry gun? Do I need to go purchase new pants that are a size bigger? I am kinda a big guy I wear size 40 now so what is the best way to wear it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Have a look at the SmartCarry... I have the XDM 9 Compact and it's a great gun, conceals well in the SmartCarry and very comfortable.

In-waistband holsters aren't for me, but the Silent Thunder is quite nice.

·
Premium Member
21,772 Posts
When you start to buy new pants get them +1 size bigger. Get yourself a good gun belt to go with it!

Crossbreed goes highly recommended around here.

And the XDm is a great gun!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I carry my xdm 45 in a crossbreed supertuck at the 8:30 position (3:30 if your are right handed. It works great and is very comfortable. I also just bought a good gun belt. I highly recommend a belt made for carrying. It makes a world of difference.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I carry my xdm 45 in a crossbreed supertuck at the 8:30 position (3:30 if your are right handed. It works great and is very comfortable. I also just bought a good gun belt. I highly recommend a belt made for carrying. It makes a world of difference.
+1 on the SuperTuck. Crossbreed makes great belts...Get one....

:cool:

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
It depends on how you want to carry & dress. If you IWB, then you need slightly larger pants. Cover garment? Depends on again, how you want to dress. If you are bigger around the middle than you are at the shoulder, you will not likely be able to conceal under an untucked polo shirt or T, but will need a jacket or go the sloppy untucked button down shirt worn loose look. The XDcompact is pretty concealable but hoslter/belt & clothing choice will matter. It may take you several tries before you find what works for you. Many of us have a box full of holsters.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
I never had to increase pants size. CBST works great for my XD .40 and a tee shirt. If you need a good belt there is a guy here in town that custom makes them. Super fine inch and a half belt for $25 with lining and fancy stitch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm also a new CCW holder. I have an XD45c. Sounds like I need to get a crossbreed super tuck deluxe. Does it matter what kind of leather you get? I see there are some options. Does anyone have some experience with the 45 compact and whether or not it prints much?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I'm also a new CCW holder. I have an XD45c. Sounds like I need to get a crossbreed super tuck deluxe. Does it matter what kind of leather you get? I see there are some options. Does anyone have some experience with the 45 compact and whether or not it prints much?
Not with the 45 compact, but I can conceal an XD9 under a T-shirt with a CBST. I've got the cow hide currently, but will pick up a horse hide one someday (wife just got her CCW, so she can use the cowhide one.)

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you want to carry IWB then you almost always need to buy pants a size or two bigger. It's just the price you have to pay. But I say it's a little one if it keeps you alive. As for the holster might I recommend the Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe? I've had one for quite some time and absolutely love it!

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I'm a size 32 waist so I have have never been able to conceal any of the guns I own on my hip. I carry a S&W 442 in an ankle hoster that is so comfortable I forget I am wearing it and no one has ever noticed.

The downside is a long draw time and I can't wear it with shorts.

I think if I get my XD45 service handle cut down to take the 10 round short mags I might be able to pull it off but it would still stick out from my body and I wear clothes that fit me so there's no room cover it.

Winter is my friend lol!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I normally wear a size 38 and I could wear the crossbreed probably in this size pants but it was worth the money to have a larger size pants. With shorts the smaller size isn't bad but I had to go get the bigger size for the jeans.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Picking a CC holster is a personal choice just like buying a gun. What works well for someone won't for another.

Where and how you carry depends on variables such as how you dress, type/size of firearm you are trying to conceal, what you are doing while carrying (active or relaxed), and body size/type.

Someone wearing a suit jacket all day every day will be able to conceal a larger weapon than the guy wearing a polo and jeans.

I carry all the time, from business attire to weekend cargo's and a T-shirt, so I use different methods and carry different firearms that fit the occasion.

It is trial and error mostly, but I will give you a bit of advice that is commonly overlooked... Buy a quality gun belt. Many CCer's purchase a nice pistol and holster and try to carry with a common pants belt.

A cheap dress belt isn't meant to support the weight of a firearm. A gun will conceal better with an inexpensive holster on a good gun belt than a top notch holster will on a single thickness pants belt.

I have worn many different holster manufacture's belts over the years and prefer the High Noon Holster Co belt. It is two layers of leather with a polymer insert sandwiched in between. Very stiff and able to support the heaviest gun.

For a more casual look with cargo shorts I use a Wilderness Frequent Flyer's 5 stitch belt with polymer insert. I have found myself wearing this belt more and more lately; very good design, especially with Kydex gear.

I prefer 1 1/2" thick belts and have found that more narrow belts will allow the grip to twist out and away from your body, especially the thicker double stack models. Barrel length isn't so much of a concealment issue for me it's the gun's grip that tends to give it away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts