Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need some advice on a good optic without breaking the bank.i just got my first ar-15 and i'm looking for a good optic that will hold up to a ar-15.i was looking into a vortex strikefire but i'm looking for other options.pics will help and advise too.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Might help to understand what you are going to do with the rifle. Assuming .223, since you are looking at a red dot is this for close range plinking? No hunting? Is $150-$200 the budget?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Nikon M-223 Rifle Scope 1-4x 20mm Point Blank Reticle Matte

The Nikon M223 Rifle Scope is a tactical scope designed for use on AR-style rifles or tactical bolt action rifles The scope features Nikon's Ultra ClearCoat Optical System to provide up to 95% light transmission, 4 inches of constant eye relief and a sturdy 1-piece tube Another feature of the M223 is the new return to zero turrets which simplify adjustments for different ranges at the range or in the field The Nikon M223 Rifle Scope is covered by a lifetime factory warranty Technical Information
■ Tube Diameter: 1"
■ Objective Bell Diameter: 1"
■ Ocular Bell Diameter: 41mm
■ Adjustment Click Value: 1/4 MOA
■ Eye Relief: 4"
■ Exit Pupil Diameter: 4mm
■ Field of View at 100 Yards: •929' @ 1x •231' @ 4x

·
Registered
838 Posts
i have an eotech on mine. not a bad price if you buy the older one.
While I posted the Nikon, I agree with the EOTech being a good choice. It really depends on what your use is to be AND which type of optic works best for you. It is an individual choice.

One caveat, regardless of your choice, opt for quality rather than just low price. Both the M223 and EOTech 512 are reasonably priced for high quality optics. They are the low end of the good stuff, IMHO.

ACOGs and other high end optics are fantastic performers but not really practical for casual shooters, given their high price tags.

The Strikefire you mentioned is the ACOG type of inexpensive optic and is also a decent choice for a casual shooter. Get what you are comfortable with but try to distinguish whether that is Scope type, red dot type or holographic type sighting device. One size does NOT fit all.;)

·
Registered
471 Posts
You may want to look into the Lucid HD7 if you're on a budget. It's a lower 1/3 optic for an AR, exceptionally durable, and only costs $200. Lucid's primary market is municipal, not civilian, but they're available to everyone.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You may want to look into the Lucid HD7 if you're on a budget. It's a lower 1/3 optic for an AR, exceptionally durable, and only costs $200. Lucid's primary market is municipal, not civilian, but they're available to everyone.
Hmmm....I like this....not bad. And with the 2x (if/when you can find it) that's almost the perfect entry-level HOLO/Red-Dot sight.

·
Registered
177 Posts
OP, I'm in the same situation that you are except I'm leaning more toward hunting and precision shooting. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Millet TRS-1 with 4-14 magnification and an illuminated recticle. It looks like the high end of the affordable scopes and has a lot of good reviews. Check it out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nikon M-223 Rifle Scope 1-4x 20mm Point Blank Reticle Matte

The Nikon M223 Rifle Scope is a tactical scope designed for use on AR-style rifles or tactical bolt action rifles The scope features Nikon's Ultra ClearCoat Optical System to provide up to 95% light transmission, 4 inches of constant eye relief and a sturdy 1-piece tube Another feature of the M223 is the new return to zero turrets which simplify adjustments for different ranges at the range or in the field The Nikon M223 Rifle Scope is covered by a lifetime factory warranty Technical Information
■ Tube Diameter: 1"
■ Objective Bell Diameter: 1"
■ Ocular Bell Diameter: 41mm
■ Adjustment Click Value: 1/4 MOA
■ Eye Relief: 4"
■ Exit Pupil Diameter: 4mm
■ Field of View at 100 Yards: •929' @ 1x •231' @ 4x
I have this scope and love it. I use it for hunting hogs, varmints and plinking and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
May I suggest that you save up and get a good one, so you don't have to think about some day I am going to upgrade my scope. Trijicon & Aim point botha are very good and will last for a long long time. I personally like Trijicon Acog no need for battery. Compare some other scoop its has very wide filed of view. Its expensive but you got what you paid for.

·
Registered
838 Posts
May I suggest that you save up and get a good one, so you don't have to think about some day I am going to upgrade my scope. Trijicon & Aim point botha are very good and will last for a long long time. I personally like Trijicon Acog no need for battery. Compare some other scoop its has very wide filed of view. Its expensive but you got what you paid for.
I don't disagree with this IF you are actually in need of such high end equipment. However, any decent scope sized and appropriately mounted to an AR will suffice for range or hunting purposes and some, like the M223 Nikon can excell at their intended purpose, such as 3 gun competition. Breaking the bank isn't necessary unless you actually need the capabilities of an ACOG vs. good, high quality optics from Nikon, Leupold, Vortex and other manufacturers of good glass. JMHO.;)

That said, the under a hundred buck categories of scopes offered for ARs can be very disappointing , judging from reviews I've seen. With few exceptions, the truly low end is a waste of money.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Under the $400 range for any glass, you really start getting undesirable characteristics.

Such as:
Excessively large
Heavy
Imprecise turrets
Unrepeatable zero after adjusting the turrets
Fish eyed field of view
Lackluster light transmission at upper magnification
Issues with fogging/weather conditions (regardless how it is marketed)
Short battery life *for illuminated reticles
Small sight picture
Poor resolution

Now if you step up into the next realm of things, usually getting into the company's flagship models and away from their budget stuff. I.E. opting for something marketed to hunters instead of the tactical market, you will notice that money goes a lot further and you get a lot more out of it as well.

Stay away from the lowend from any company, and stick to respectable companies that don't have a ton of "internet hype" behind them. For the money, any of the leupold VX line from the VXII on is going to give you a good scope for a reasonable sum of money.

Just remember this, your scope is only as good as your mount. If you buy a $800 optic and slap it in a $80 mount, you're wasting your time and money.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For red dots I would recommend either a Primary Arms Micro Dot if you're really on a budget.

If you can swing ~$400 you could get a used EOTech or Aimpoint or a new Aimpoint PRO w/ QRP2 mount.

I'm partial to the Aimpoints because you can turn them on and leave them on for 3-5 years without a battery change. My AR is one of my primary HD guns so I'd had to be fiddling with turning optics on in the middle of the night with adrenaline flowing.

For my plinking only guns I have a couple of the PA Micro Dots, which work great, but don't have near the battery life of the Aimpoint.

·
Registered
838 Posts
;)
Under the $400 range for any glass, you really start getting undesirable characteristics.

Such as:
Excessively large
Heavy
Imprecise turrets
Unrepeatable zero after adjusting the turrets
Fish eyed field of view
Lackluster light transmission at upper magnification
Issues with fogging/weather conditions (regardless how it is marketed)
Short battery life *for illuminated reticles
Small sight picture
Poor resolution

NONE of the mentioned undesirable characteristics apply to the Nikon M223 1-4X20 which is available with Nikon AR15 specific mount for around 300. Careful with absolutes. It is, however , not illuminated. It does have excellent characteristics in the other areas you mentioned.

·
Registered
744 Posts
A 20mm objective lens is mathematically going to be suffering with light transmission at 4x, regardless if it's $3k glass.

At 7x my leupold is dragging in as much light as that is at 4x while being lighter, and roughly the same length. Not to mention the leupold has a larger objective and is illuminated.

The nikon m223 sacrifices things off my list which is why it's a budget optic. It's in the same league as the leupold mark AR series. Which lets start splitting hair here, shall we?

First off, the M223 isn't true 1x regardless how it's advertised, at least leupold isn't trying to fool people and marks theirs as 1.5-4x.

Weight, the M223 is 13.93oz! The mark AR 1.5-4x is 9.5oz.
Size, the M223 is 10.35" long, the mark AR is 9.2" long.
FOV, the M223 offers 23.1'@100yrds(4x) and 92.9'@100yrds(1x), the mark AR offers 28.5'@100yrds(4x) and 75.0'@100yrds(1.5x).

Price for the nikon M223 is $230, price of the mark AR is $260, taking the prices from the same retailer.

Tell me what exactly makes it a better optic?

·
Registered
838 Posts
A 20mm objective lens is mathematically going to be suffering with light transmission at 4x, regardless if it's $3k glass.

At 7x my leupold is dragging in as much light as that is at 4x while being lighter, and roughly the same length. Not to mention the leupold has a larger objective and is illuminated.

The nikon m223 sacrifices things off my list which is why it's a budget optic. It's in the same league as the leupold mark AR series. Which lets start splitting hair here, shall we?

First off, the M223 isn't true 1x regardless how it's advertised, at least leupold isn't trying to fool people and marks theirs as 1.5-4x.

Weight, the M223 is 13.93oz! The mark AR 1.5-4x is 9.5oz.
Size, the M223 is 10.35" long, the mark AR is 9.2" long.
FOV, the M223 offers 23.1'@100yrds(4x) and 92.9'@100yrds(1x), the mark AR offers 28.5'@100yrds(4x) and 75.0'@100yrds(1.5x).

Price for the nikon M223 is $230, price of the mark AR is $260, taking the prices from the same retailer.

Tell me what exactly makes it a better optic?
Never said it was a better optic than the Leupold which, in fact, I even mentioned earlier. Just that it is good glass, serves my purpose well, holds zero, isn't a bit sloppy when adjusting, is bright and a good buy for the purpose as are most Nikon products. Those facts given, there is no compromise and while I could opt to spend hundreds more, see no purpose to it. My experience with the brand itself also gives me confidence in the product. My experience with Nikon goes back to the sixties, BTW. Incidentally, by your post, the Leupold would also be "compromised" because of price. A faulty conclusion IMHO. One, however you are entitled to since you spend your money and I only spend mine.;)

·
Registered
624 Posts
I just purchased a Burris MTAC 1-4x24 from SWFA for $300. Since the Burris TAC30's were backordered they put the MTAC on sale for the same price. It is a very good optic for the money. Here it is in the Bobro extended mount.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts