Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so this is my first post on the site.

I'm not new to firearms, as I have shot, handled and cared after several. With a largely semi-antigun family, most of my exposure was thanks to friends from Church or work as I was going through college or an adult. As the latter, with my own responsibilities (taxes... Among other bills), I've decided to make my first firearm choice/purchase belonging to me.

After trying and renting I decided on an XDS. I thought I was sold on the 3.3 9mm. Truth be told I like the 45 acp a lot more. When not at work I'm in and out of the gym (big into physique), so there's just something appealing about the bigger round. With that however, I have to admit I can't shoot the 45 in that size nearly as well as the 9mm. I'm still learning.

The 4.0 XDS looked appealing at first but unfortunately out of proportion to me slide to frame. For what is worth, although I plan to carry IWB (4), I know I'll most often attempt AIWB (1-2). Anyways I just recently became aware Springfield offers an 8 round mag (9mm), and a 6 round mag (45). After trying it on a friend's XDS the grip felt much better even than an XDS with a Pearce which i tried.

So to make my already long first post a little shorter. For a gun that will be used for a variety of things, (range, cc, and bed), and with an 8 or 6 round mag (the new in between mag depending on caliber). Would you suggest the 3.3 or the 4.0. And hopefully avoiding the can of worms, 45 for personal likeness of the round despite slightly less accuracy, or settling for a 9mm for shoot ability.

P.S. Fwiw AIWB works better for me I believe. I'm 5'9 165, and with broad shoulders and 30 waist, tshirts seem to drape at front makin it easier. Thank you and apologies for the lengthy post.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Welcome from Central Florida. If you are unsure of the barrel length, I suggest you find a Range/LGS that has a range and rent both types. Then you should be able to decide on which length you want.

·
Premium Member
127,178 Posts
You have a 30" waist?! :shock: I can't talk to you. Seriously, from what you said in your post, I recommend the 3.3" barrel length. I carried an XD9SC IWB for over a year and liked it just fine. As you may know it has a 3" barrel. Let us know what you decide to do.

·
Premium Member
17,768 Posts
Since the grip length is what usually makes the difference on concealability, I would go with the 4". M2c...

·
Registered
268 Posts

I have it in a 45 and a 9.

9mm cheaper than 45 so I can play with it more. I carry the 45 and my wife carries the 9.

I'd take the 9 now. Learn to shoot very well and then when money is there again buy the 45.

Buying guns is addictive. This will happen much faster than you think it will.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I would personally go with the 9 over the 45 if you shoot the 9 better. There are very good self-defense rounds available these days so the difference between the 9 and the 45 is not that great. I'd rather hit my intended target with the 9 than miss it with the 45.

·
Registered
18,792 Posts
Select he gun / round you are most accurate with. If it's 4" in 9 or 3.3" in 45 who cares, pick the one you get best results with.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you prefer the 3.3 barrel. There is nothing wrong with that. Especially if you plan to carry appendix, the 3.3 is easier (for me) when sitting. As to accuracy, the 3.3 is capable of very precise shooting. A friend of mine is one of the best shots I've seen. He took my XDS and shot three rounds into about a 2/3" group @ 7 yards w/ cheap plinking ammo. It was basically one large hole. Now I have no one else to blame if my groups aren't as tight. :lol:

As to caliber? I'd also say go with the 9mm. Ammo is much cheaper and the extra 2 rounds may be helpful. You can even pick up 9 rounder magazines and have a HD gun. Pick a good round such as HST or Gold Dot and rest easy.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am nearly identical to you in size and carry an XDs 3.3 9mm about 3-3:30 IWB. The 4.0 had just come out when I bought mine, but still chose to go with the 3.3 for easier carry. If it is carried IWB, the barrel length doesn't matter as it is hidden. I do use a shortened Pierce grip extension so the front of my grip is nearly the length of the mid size mags but much shorter in the back.

Another very good option that has already been mentioned is the XD MOD.2 compact. You can double your capacity for about a 1/4" increase in slide width. Plus you have the option of a compact mag or a fullsize mag. If you go with a 9mm MOD.2, it has a 3" barrel instead of the 3.3" on the XDs. The MOD.2 .45 has a 3.3" barrel. Springfield just released the MOD.2 enhancements in the 9mm Service fullsize with a 4" barrel. This might be to big of a gun for you to comfortably carry IWB, but would be ideal for the other two activities you mentioned.

Your best option, thougg, is to find a range and shoot the different guns you are considering.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
if the shot don't hit it don't count, no matter how big the bullet is/was.
if it's not comfortable/convenient to carry you won't.
it's cheaper to shoot 9 than 45 - so you can/will/may practice more.

if you get something that holds/can hold 10 rounds then you can get a few mags and holster and go play with IDPA folks and gets lots of practice. it's hard to get 'realistic' practice with a true carry gun, and that's the one you should be practicing with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 3.3 inch would certainly be more comfortable AIWB while the slide length at 3-4~ won't matter much. But I wondered whether the 8 round mid mag, being shorter than the 9th and about as long as the Pearce but with the benefit of the extra round would balance one slide length more than the other.
For instance to those that have them, would the 8th round make the gun, proportially more balanced or unbalanced in one or the other slide length configuration? For instance the flush on a 4 inch looks out of place to me, and the full 9 round (or 7 on the 45) still looks a little long even when compared to the 4 inch barrel.

If I could conceal as easily as an XDS a gun such as a Glock 19 or XDM compact I would. It would make practice and learning easier, and would help for IDPS, which is something I would be interested in the future. There's one big problem though. My frame and body aside, my job is very no-gun. It's a pretty good job with great potential to move up so if I was ever 'made' I'd be done for. And while I would prefer an XDM compact, be it for lack of experience carrying or not, I feel like I could more efficiently hide daily at work an XDS than a Glovk 19 or an XDM. Thanks and thoughts welcomed. I'm in South Florida by the way. Summer all year round.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Go with the 3.3 in either caliber. The 3.3 was designed for a specific purpose and that is concealment. I believe they got it right with this one.

To me, the dimensions seem like the perfect overall compromise that takes full advantage of the short grip length. The barrel is not too short, but long enough to maintain bullet performance while offering an adequate sight radius... purposely built indeed! Just my opinion of course...good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
103 Posts
personally, i love the XDs two tone model in 45acp. already had a 9mm p938 that i carry in summer garb. I dont find it much more difficult to control than the 9mm if any. for whatever the reason the 45 has always seemed to be more inherently accurate than the 9mm. being used to 45`s over 9mm with many more thousands of rounds shot with 1911`s than anything else i am somewhat biased. But if i were to get a 9mm today id opt for a more compact version than the XDs which is sized for the 45 anyway. Thats why i keep the 17oz p938. Honestly recoil with both shooting +p defense loads your going to see as much snappyness from a small 9mm as you do with the 45. the 45 has more of a stout shove where theres more snap and possibly muzzle rise with the 9mm, certainly for me the shot to shot timing works better for me with a 45. loose a couple rounds and 9mm vs 45 on ballistic gel. im not so much bothered with the extra 2 rounds, if i were id opt for carrying a double stack. after all people still carry revolvers over autos every day, 5 or 6 rounds statistically is more than will be needed. as far as gel tests and the 45 vs 9 mm debate, well its all foolishness. if you carry the best sd load in a 9mm it can do better than the best load in a 45, on gel. but do most carry the best load all the time and do people actually get attacked by blocks of ballistic gel? Other data suggests the round used matters very little and its likely more shot placement that makes the biggest difference. plugged hollow points concern me in winter with probable multiple clothing layers worn. even though both calibers can have this and other reasons why the bullets dont always expand theres one fact that cant be denied, a 45 will leave at least a 45 cal hole where the 9mm has to expand to reach where the 45 starts at. so basically cold weather comes and i start packing the 45 xds or my 1911. as far as practice ammo, i use the federal aluminum case stuff alot, its been reliable in my 1911 and XDs and wally world usually has some in stock at $15 a box thats only a few bucks more than the 9mm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my XDS9 4.0 his summer and love it! My reasoning:
1) 9mm cheaper, will shoot more.
2) 4" has a little more sight distance and is potentially more accurate/ slide is a little heavier, a little less snap (?) (I probably will never be able to shoot good enough to know) nutnfancy has a good review of the 3.3 9mm.

Here is a pick of how I carry (my shirt not usually tucked in tho). It's a Remora holster that my local Gun shop had for $25. Works great for IWB but I don't know about AIWB..

With the 7rnd mag it is almost had to make it print. I keep the 9 rnd next to my wallet wich works pretty good.

Hope the info helps! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: A friend had me shoot an LC9s Pro. Size and tapered wise: awesome. But the trigger was too nice/light. It doesn't matter so long as proper handling is practiced but as still relatively new of a shooter I have my reserves.

The thing is, when I carry the XDS I most likely would use the pearce, and so the 8th or 6th round mag on 9mm or 45 respectively would be carried. Although I like the idea of the 4.0 slightly more, the fact that it would be carried Appendix most of the time has me leaning slightly more towards the 3.3 despite my wishes. If I was as tall as most here maybe the 4.0 might've worked.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts