Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the market for a bolt rifle chambered in .308

Two of the rifles I was looking into are.

Remington 700 SPS
FN Herstal PBR

I do like the FN Herstal SPR, but that's just way too much money for me!

As you can see I'm looking for a dead on tac driver in a "tactical" configuration.

I was also thinking of getting a BDL and putting a HS Precision stock

In fact, If I get any Remington 700 type bolt rifle, I would probably change out the stock to the HS Precision stock.

Any thoughts and opinions out there?

My price range for the rifle is at most $1,100.00. Once I get the rifle, then I'll decide on glass.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i dont have any of the remingtons, but dont forget to check out savage they have some nice rifles for a fair price

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
My vote and next long gun purchase is Savage 12FVSS...It has their accutrigger system and 26" SS barrel...The stock is "synthetic" but decent to get started with, dual pillar bedded...About $600 last time I checked

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
^^ and that will leave you $500 for optics

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
First off...the 700 SPS Tactical in .308 is an excellent rifle and with good match ammo and/or handloads is capable of MOA accuracy. They can be had right now for around $550-600 and are also part of Remington's rebate program which will get you another $40 off that price when you submit the rebate. The PST025 that you have pictured is an excellent stock with the adjustable LOP and cheek piece, but that stock alone for a 700 SA BDL is almost $600. That may well put you over your budget.

The PST081 stock (I think that is the right Model #, but double check me on that) is the same stock that Remington ships with the 700 PSS/700 Police/700P rifles and it is an excellent starter stock for a precision rifle given its weight, pillar bedding, and wide fore end. It will only run you around $350 new and you can usually find them for sale on sites like Sniper's Hide, etc., in excellent condition for around $200 or so.

The other alternative is to just get a new 700 Police/700 PSS which already has that stock and will run you around $850 give or take. I have owned a couple of the PSS rifles...223, 308 and a 300WM, and they have all been capable of sub-MOA accuracy with various match ammo, but particularly Black Hills 68gr, 175gr and 190gr loads respectively.

That route will not only get you the most bang for the buck, but you can use the $200-300 you save on the rifle and put it toward a good Badger Ordnance base and rings and an excellent scope like a Leupold Mk 4, etc.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I picked up a new Remington SPS Varmint .308 which gave me the heavy barrel and a few more inches of length to wring out a tad more velocity. I too switched it out with an HS precision stock. If you keep your eye out, you can find them new but used for under 150.00.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice so far...

ORD/Itchy, do you (or anyone else for that matter) know if the stock I posted above will work with the 700sps?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Yes...it should, but you might want to e-mail H-S and confirm before you pick one up. The SPS is just a subset of the Remington 700 line up...just make sure that you get the one built for the Remington 700 BDL, SA. Like I said in my post...it is H-S Precision's model PST025.

Just to make sure I am understanding you...you are looking at the SPS Tactical or Varmint in .308 and not just the standard SPS in .308 correct? The reason I ask is that the standard SPS has a regular "pencil" barrel instead of the heavier barrel found on the Varmint and Tac. The standard SPS, while still a good rifle, will not achieve the level of accuracy that the Varmint and Tac will.

·
Registered
375 Posts
+1 on the Savage but I have shot an FN Herstal and those are really nice. Anymore these day's, all of the rifles are great. Where the money needs to be spent is on the optics. Trust me when I say this, you don't want to have $1,000.00 wrapped up in your rifle and end up with a Simmons Whitetail Classic sitting on it because that's all you can afford in your budget. It will really piss you off when you shoot your buddies bare bones hunting rifle with a Leupold VXII scope or equivalent.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes...it should, but you might want to e-mail H-S and confirm before you pick one up. The SPS is just a subset of the Remington 700 line up...just make sure that you get the one built for the Remington 700 BDL, SA. Like I said in my post...it is H-S Precision's model PST025.

Just to make sure I am understanding you...you are looking at the SPS Tactical or Varmint in .308 and not just the standard SPS in .308 correct? The reason I ask is that the standard SPS has a regular "pencil" barrel instead of the heavier barrel found on the Varmint and Tac. The standard SPS, while still a good rifle, will not achieve the level of accuracy that the Varmint and Tac will.
I'm looking at the SPS Tactical, with the heavier barrel.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I'm looking at the SPS Tactical, with the heavier barrel.
Then yes, the stock should fit but HS precision is a very friendly company to deal with. I called them once and they were more then friendly about my questions.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
+1!! The staff at H-S is great to deal with from start to finish. Excellent service and first rate products that they stand behind 110%.

·
Registered
366 Posts
+1 on the 700 PSS. You can find them for around $750 if you look around. That's the rifle we buy to make our sniper rifles, as I assume most places do. Then we change out the triggers and get a good 1 piece scope base, a bipod, and good glass. We only change the stocks if the individual shooter requests it, most don't. Really accurate rifle out of the box. BTW, a 700 SPS Tactical can be had for around $600 on gunbroker.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I think I'm going to go with the 700 SPS Tactical. I'm going to keep it as is for now and put a Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 on it. Maybe in April, I'll ask my GF for the HS stock for my b-day gift. But if it's good out of the box then I might not even go that route.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Glad you were able to make a choice, best of luck to you!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Youll love the HS stock, I have on on my rifle from HS Precision and it is great. and another big +1 on HS precisions customer service, I dont think I have ever dealt with anyone easier or nicer.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
It'll be a good rifle out of the box with the Leupy Mk4 scope, but trust me when I tell you that you'll end up wanting the H-S stock (whichever one you decide on) or some other aftermarket replacement like a McMillan, etc.

The stock that comes with the SPS Tactical is just a black Hogue overmolded stock and it has a good deal of flex in it and generally feels a little...well...cheap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I'm in the market for a bolt rifle chambered in .308

Two of the rifles I was looking into are.

Remington 700 SPS
FN Herstal PBR

I do like the FN Herstal SPR, but that's just way too much money for me!

As you can see I'm looking for a dead on tac driver in a "tactical" configuration.

I was also thinking of getting a BDL and putting a HS Precision stock

In fact, If I get any Remington 700 type bolt rifle, I would probably change out the stock to the HS Precision stock.

Any thoughts and opinions out there?

My price range for the rifle is at most $1,100.00. Once I get the rifle, then I'll decide on glass.
I personally would go with Rem 700, way more aftermarket gucci products plus almost every gun smith knows it. Mine holds real close to .5moa for 5 shots when I activate the stick correctly. I have about $1700 total in mine to include sight, paid $450 for bone stock SPS 700.

If you go with an HS stock and your 700 has the XMark trigger, order directly from HS and inform them you have the XMark or the stock will not fit. All HS tactical stocks are defaulted to old school 700 trigger and the alum block will not accept the new X trigger. If you order from anyone else, the alum block will be accept the old trigger so, order directly from HS to get the correct alum block.

I prefer HS due to their alum block, take it apart, put it together and it holds POI plus the action is a drop in, no pillars to deal with or bedding to get it accurate.

The stock you show here is the same I have which allows me to get real low on the pistol grip so I can pull straight back in line with the bore on the trigger with my finger very low on the trigger. Do not get the adj mono pod support, it will get in the way for your support hand, use a bean bag.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts