Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to All.

I have decided I am going to purchase a new XD in either the 40sw or 45 ACP. This gun will primarily be used for self defense and the shooting range. I am looking at adding a Laser Max Uni Laser as well. My question is whether to go with the 4" service model or the 5" tactical. I am limited to magazine capacity as I live in California. Your opinions are greatly appreciated and I look foward to learning more from this great site.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Welcome to the forum from UT!

Given your limitations I would go with a 5 inch model. The extra inch gives you a little bit more velocity over the four inch, has a better sight radius due to the longer barrel length, and is better balanced. I own two XD45s, one is a 4 inch Service and the other is a 5 inch Tactical. I shoot the Tactical much better. 40 is cheaper than 45 but 45 is easier to hand load if you go that route. Both are fine for personal protection. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another Utahn!!! Good post Mas....I agree 100%

·
Registered
161 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
also from Ca.
the xd40 can be converted to a 9mm and i think a 357sig. By purchasing some type of conversion barrel and of course the proper mags. just a thought. when i was first thinking about buying my XD9 my friend at work had mentioned that he bought the XD40 for that reason. I still bought my XD9!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey! Welcome from DC. I just recently purchased an xd40 4". Our handgun restrictions are similar to California in that we have 10 round capacity law as well. I chose the XD40 for a few reasons. First, the gun and ammo are cheaper in the XD40. IMO, the relative stopping power of a .40SW v. a .45ACP or GAP is reasonably negligible. At the end of the day, it's all about placement of the bullet. And that takes practice. Third, it was easier for me to find a .40SW with a 10 round capacity as opposed to a .45ACP or GAP. Finally, I hear the recoil on the XD40 is snappier, while the .45 is more powerful and smooth. Ultimately, my decision came down to money and availability. Hopefully, you won't be so limited. Still, I am VERY excited about my purchase. I am a beginner. I am by no means an expert on firearms. This what I have learned doing research over the internet. I've read articles comparing the .40 and the .45, and talking about the XD40 and XD45. So look at the two cents for what it's worth. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

·
Registered
246 Posts
:cool: I had a XD.40 sub compact that I traded for a XD45 Compact. The XD45 is just a better gun in my opinion. The rounds for plinking cost the same as the .40. I have never had either of my XD45's jam, stovepipe, or FTF. The .40 always seemed to give me some problems. NOW the new XDM.40 that I have is AWESOME as far as a target gun goes. Buy that one and you will have the ultimate carry and target pistol......... Na, I really like the .45 for all the right reasons. Go and shoot each one and you will see that the .45 is just more accurate. Why? I cannot tell you why. Just shoot both and you will see...... You are on the correct path with the XD anyway... Welcome from the BIG NC.... ;-)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum from CT.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Welcome from Indiana!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you to all for the welcome to XD talk. I have decided to go with the XD 45 5" tactical -Dark Earth with Tritium night sights.

It should be a nice addition to the Remington 870 defender that I added Ghost Ring Tritium sights, and sure fire for-end with tactical light.

I look forward to learning from everyone and sharing as well.

Again Thank you.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
There are no bad choices, XD's are like Lays Potato Chips....you can't stop with just one!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts