Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fiancée has a hard time racking the slide on my Xds and xdsc. Doubt she will ever ccw but I'm working on that for the future. I have guns I keep locked and loaded for when shes home alone. I want something small for her own gun collection. I was wanting input here on what kind of revolver for her. Was thinking maybe a snubnose. Seen on another site a S&W 351c. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
Why a snubnose?

They take more practice to be proficient than longer barreled revolvers...and rimfires tend to have heavier triggers than other models.

I'd say look at a used S&W model 10 or 64, with a 4" barrel, since we aren't looking for a carry pistol. Get some light loaded wadcutters, and you're set.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I'm with cuda. Snubbies are comparatively hard to shoot, whether people like to admit it or not.

If your budget it a little more, a used L frame, or a GP100 with a 4 or 6 inch barrel would be great. A cat with mouse fart loads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was taught by someone, that showed me how. I'm a small person with small hands btw. This is now how I teach others when I run the range. YMMV.

As always, follow all safety rules.
Use caution when pointing the muzzle.
Only chamber a load when safe.
Finger off the trigger at all times until ready to shoot.

Note: (This is obviously at the range) I usually stand parallel to the direction of fire. The gun is typically held with the barrel pointed down range or towards the ground in case a live round goes off. Once racked, I shift my body behind the gun - ready to fire.

First, grip pistol with the strong/dominate hand. (The trigger finger should always rest on the gun frame - parallel the slide and the gun. Never dangling and never in-between the trigger-guard and the trigger.)

Grip firmly towards the rear of the slide in a tight cupping grip with the opposite hand. (Careful where the palm is covering the ejection port as well as the muzzle - depending on length of the gun. All four fingers should be on one side of the slide and the meaty palm on the opposite side.)

The trick is instead of pulling/racking the slide with the weak hand, you would hold the slide in place while you "push" with the strong hand using the gun frame in one swift strong motion. Make sure you push all the way as if you were pulling the slide all the way. Once this happens, continue to grip the frame of the gun with the strong hand (finger always resting on the frame and off the trigger!) and let go of the slide with the weak hand and let it slam home.

It takes some practice and getting used to, but once you've practiced enough with snap-caps, it's a cinch! Most women and first time shooters I've taught says it works. At least it works for me.

Hope my instructions are not too confusing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't buy her a little snub nose. The only gun my wife will not shoot is a j frame. She took three shots and set it down saying nope. She'll shoot my XD45 all day though.

I'd follow the above advice and pick up a nice GP100 with 4" barrel. Very nice shooter with any 38spl ammo. I have the Wiley Clapp version with the novak sights and any new shooter Ive taken to the range has shot that gun better than any of my other ones.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done the hold slide steady with left hand and push with right(dominant) hand. Didn't work. Even had her rack it two different ways. Snub nose because she likes my sp101 3" and xds. She didn't like shooting my xdm full size.

·
Premium Member
127,986 Posts
The Ruger LCR is a nice snubbie with a smooth trigger.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
I've done the hold slide steady with left hand and push with right(dominant) hand. Didn't work. Even had her rack it two different ways. Snub nose because she likes my sp101 3" and xds. She didn't like shooting my xdm full size.
Then get her her own 3" SP101, if she likes it.

It's not about what YOU like.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True. She just mentioned how the sp101 was kinda heavy. But she could load it and shoot 38 without insane recoil so for now she needs a revolver. So wasn't sure if a snubnose was the way to go or not. I did have her shoot my lcp and she disliked the recoil. I do as well. Its small and light so I understand the recoil in it. But she liked the size of it. So I didn't know if a snubnose revolver would be the same or not.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
If she didn't like the recoil of the LCP, she won't like a lightweight .38.

If the SP101 was a bit heavy for her taste but the recoil was acceptable, I'd recommend a 3" steel J-frame--a model 36 or 60.

·
Registered
100 Posts
For many ladies, whom have trouble racking a slide, they also have trouble with a long, heavy DA trigger pull. I'd look into getting her a Beretta 380, with the tip up slide, so she need not rack the action. She can thumb back the hammer for the first shot, if she's not carrying the gun. That can be done as fast as she can pick up the gun, much less run and get it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Look I didn't start shooting till i was 64. I have arthritis. I was taught how to rack a slide by a female instructor and I have 3 pistols and can rack them all! Unless a woman has seriou hand issues she can rack a slide. Oh yes one of my pistols is noted for its stiff slide.

Next it has been my experience that the shorter the barrel the harder it is to be accurate. This has not stopoed me from purchasing a second short pistol but i knew I'd have to practice. It took me months to get reasonable control of my XD sc so I was prepared to have to work with my Sig 238.

One more thing. In the begining i had not really planned to carry but i did get my CHP knowing that transportation and purchasing guns would be so much simpler. I do carry but not all the time.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Why a snubnose?

They take more practice to be proficient than longer barreled revolvers...and rimfires tend to have heavier triggers than other models.

I'd say look at a used S&W model 10 or 64, with a 4" barrel, since we aren't looking for a carry pistol. Get some light loaded wadcutters, and you're set.
And if she's got really small hands, a 3" all steel j frame or Ruger SP101.

But like said above, good technique racking the slide goes a long way.

My Glock 19 even being a gen 4 with the captive dual recoil spring, is very light to rack my 62 year old mom can rack it.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I've had a couple of SW J frames for my wife but she's settled on my 2.25" SP101 as her favorite and now that's her gun. I've really worked over the trigger and she likes the bit more heft you get with the Ruger. 38+p only though , NO magnum loads for her.

She used to have a MP9c as her bedside gun and could rack the slide but not easily. She likes the simplicity of a revolver.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
My wife had the same issues and ended up with a sig p238.

Take your lady to the shop and fondle a few. The slide in the 238 is significantly easier to manipulate than some others out there, and works for her.

She may find an auto she likes, or not, but in either case the more she gets her handsnon the better.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Reckon you'll need a new one then. The SP is just a fantastic little revolver
I can still take it out and shoot it, but you're correct Sir the little SP101 is a sweet gun.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine does. My Badger grips didn't fit properly and when I tried to put them on part of the back chunked off.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts