Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the advantages of installing a new guide rod? kinda new to auto pistols and always wondered this. and which recoil spring would be better for less recoil? 22 or 18lb springs?

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
A new guide rod in a service model will let you control te recoil according to wich spring you put in. It is thought that a light spring will cause a faster slide action and thats better for some reason. Also, a guide rod and spring are more reliable than a captive recoil spring setup. Less parts to break. And my Recoil Spring assembly broke on my pistol after nder 200 rounds!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Is it a cost issue that prohibits SA from using a design similar to Don's vs. what they use now?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I believe that there is a specific reason for the dual spring setup in the stock recoil assembly. The NAA Guardian has the same kind of setup with two springs. I'm guessing that one spring provides a firm and solid force at or near the slide closed position. The other spring would provide the force necessary to keep the slide from hitting the rear stop and damaging the frame.

Springs work on an X squared relationship, so as the slide travels rearward the spring force increases exponentially, and as the slide moves forward the force decreases exponentially. The solid guide rod with a single spring will suffer from having to be a compromise between the force required during recoil to allow proper rearward motion and the force necessary to reliably chamber a new round. A stiff spring will ensure good chambering but might cause ejection or cycling problems. A weak spring will allow good cycling but won't allow positive chambering.

Anyhow, the captive assembly with two springs allows the designer to control the force at both ends of the slide cycle, compared to the single spring setup where the right compromise might be hard to find.

I bought a Wolff solid guide rod and springs and found it to be unreliable. After a few hundred rounds the spring would take a set and be a bit shorter and weaker. This is normal, but when it happened the force was insufficient to properly and reliably chamber a round. The different weight springs were different lengths, and perhaps one of them would have worked reliably, but after the first one (stiffest) failed to be reliable for me I just went back to the factory assembly.

IMO the engineers who designed the XD would have used the industry standard single spring and solid guide rod if they could have. It would have been much, much cheaper to manufacture, and we know how corporations love to minimize costs.

·
Registered
595 Posts
:idea: Sig pistols use a single spring/solid rod setup (at least my P228 does).....and they are ULTRA reliable. Maybe the Croatians should get a clue on parts manufacture from the Germans.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Sig pistols use a single spring/solid rod setup (at least my P228 does).....and they are ULTRA reliable.
Roger THAT. I seem to recall that in the early days of SFA's marketing of this pistol, they made a big deal about the fact that you could apply pressure to the muzzle and it would still fire- a "stand-off device" if you will. This is great as long as it works; I just want to be able to order spares direct from SFA, Ajames, or whoever.

Anybody know of a source for the factory spring/rod assemblies?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I saw a stock one that broke on pistol-gear.com yesterday. I put a DRG in mine the first week I had it. Tried the 18# and 21# spring and not sure I can tell the difference.

Bub

1 - 8 of 8 Posts