Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have them installed, had them installed, etc on your XD/XDm I'd like to get some feedback from you as these are currently in the top position for what I'll be replacing the stock sights with. These would be used for CCing.

I haven't been able to find any specific info on how tall the front sight is on an XD/XDm (after adjustment), either an actual height or just in relation to the stock front sight. My concern is whether there's chance for interference with a holster.

The distance between the front and rear is different on my 3.8 than on a 4.5, etc, thus possibly differences in how they line up on visually. ...Or is the distance between my eyes and the sights so much greater that the sights' distance from each other is negated?

Any other info/insight overall would be greatly appreciated!

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I'm curious how they hold up ... That's a lot of stuff to be putting into a sight, if you plan on carrying the gun - Advantage Tactical Sight

I could see things getting out of alignment, or falling off, if treated roughly ... Especially, if you play with color changes more than a few times.

Subscribing for user feedback.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this one

Sight Profiles

has more information than you could shake a stick at

click on each site and prepare to read and enjoy
+1
That's where I found these sights in the first place. (Thanks for posting the links, I should have done that in my first post.) I will be sending my slide to him for install regardless which I choose - everybody loves his work, his turnaround times are excellent, AND his prices are reasonable.:D Can't beat that!

In searching on this forum I kept finding references to Advantage Tactical Sights but no actual user reviews. All the reviews I see on other sites for glocks, etc are positive and everything but I definitely want input from an XD/XDm user(s).
Worst case scenario I get them anyway and post my own review.

There's this thread from 1/2011 that doesn't provide any XD/XDm info, and this thread from 2009 that doesn't provide any info either.

In fact...The only "bad" things I read about these is in various forums (not reviews) and from people who don't have them. "I think it would be too big" or "I don't know how durable they are". Those are legitimate questions but the fact that no users have spoken out about it says a lot.

Eh, what the heck. I'm just going to get them. At least then I'll know for sure.;)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
James replied back to me right away. Here's an excerpt:

"I don`t stock these sights, but you can buy them direct from the company.
Most of the customers love the sights, they are different from the traditional three dot sights so the get a bad rap on the internet since they are different. They have fit all the leather holster I have and so far no one has called to complain on the issue."

Don't worry, kids - I'll be taking plenty of photos. Stock sight comparison, holster comparison, etc.
I'm excited.:D:cool:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Per instructions on Advantage Tactical Sight I became a "fan" of theirs on facebook to get instructions on how to receive free shipping. $89.95 no shipping no tax.
Slide and sights will ship out to James by the end of next week.

My pre installation comparison measurements...

~XDm Compact 3.8~

Installed heights: top of slide to top of sight
Stock rear sight: 0.194 inches
Stock front sight: 0.160 inches

Pre-install heights: bottom of sight (where it would potentially touch the slide) to top of sight
ATS rear sight: 0.271 inches
ATS front sight: 0.284 inches (before shims)

Rear sights, from rear:

Rear sights, from front:

Front sights, from rear:

Front sights, from front:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awwww, the front sight looks like a little penguin!:D

I played around with all the different color options and I'm going with green rear and yellow front. I may choose differently after I actually have them installed but I seem to view this combo the best. Apparently I can't get away from the Packers.

As a side note the red (as seen in their logo) is more a pinkish orange.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got a call from James today letting me know the slide shipped. He also pointed out that despite having installed these sights before this is the first set he's put on an XDm.

If all goes as planned I'll be sending a ton of lead downrange these next few weeks. I expect having to make minor adjustments with the front shims but we'll see. My goal is to have a full report by the second week of November. By then I should be used to the new sights and soon to be installed PRP Drop In trigger kit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
if your gun shoots as a POI sight picture the added size could really affect your target finding, but im really interested in seeing how these things look on and with a sight picture!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if your gun shoots as a POI sight picture the added size could really affect your target finding, but im really interested in seeing how these things look on and with a sight picture!
As was explained to me (and I agree) it's like going from covering under the target with a half pizza to covering under the target with a slice of pizza. The fact that it comes to a point is what drew me to these.

I just received my slide back today and was too excited to wait.:cool:

In dry firing practice it feels like I acquire the target quicker, maybe a split second at most (if any - it may be mental) but it's VERY comfortable. Natural. As in there's no thinking. I look at the target the whole time and if I'm even the slightest bit off I can tell and naturally correct - without even looking at the sights. No more judging equal distances on each side of the front post, etc.
When the sight lines are broken by a tiny bit of black on one side or the other the correction is natural. It feels really, really good. I can't wait to range test it.

(^Hard to explain, I hope you guys were able to follow my rambling.)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unlike most sights you can tell the rear was not made specifically to flow with the XD/XDm line. This angle makes it look not right at all:

As you can see it does fit very well physically, just not visually:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Things I've noticed thus far...

~With the colored portion being smooth plastic it's able to reflect light. However there's still a sharp contrast between that and the surrounding matte black. It's unfortunate to lose that nice neon green in those rare circumstances but I haven't noticed any inability to align the sights when it does happen.

~The yellow front is great against anything but bright/white backgrounds/target areas. Not sure if I'll throw the green in front or not but it's something I'll have to consider. (Changing colors is relatively easy so I have no qualms about doing so as many times as I need to.)

Holster fit

~OWB~
GI Holsters' Silent Thunder (Auto Hood)
Fits like a charm!:cool: The front sight never touches the holster.

~IWB~
High Noon Holsters' Hidden Impact (horsehide)
Yes the sight drags. However I just received this holster last week and the stock front sight dragged. So not surprisingly the Advantage Tactical front sight drags. I had contacted them about needing extra space for the new sights and they explained how to wet and massage the horsehide to fit the sights. And if I run into any problems or just want them to do it they'll be glad to as long as I cover shipping both ways.

Overall if purchasing a holster with these sights I would definitely mention needing a little extra room.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Im excited to hear your thoughts after a range visit. I do agree that knowing its "slightly" off seems like it would be a lot more obvious and may actually allow for a tighter group...guess well see lol

·
Registered
191 Posts
I like these, but that is one tall front sight. i wonder if it would still fit in my cbst or other kydex holster. also, do those edges snag on clothes or other things? i have the same questions about suresights series, and they come in night sights.---EDIT i guess suresights is no longer in business??

1 - 20 of 90 Posts