Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to purchase an XD Tactical for use in IDPA competitions. Glock was smart with their tactical/competition models (34 and 35), and put adjustable sights on them, but SA has stuck with fixed sights.

Which adjustable sights are a good choice for an XD? Please keep in mind that the sights need to be somewhat low-profile, since IDPA competitions require you to draw from a concealed carry, and speed is critical.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
What the heck do you want adjustable sights for? Especially for IDPA. One thing I learned was that adjustable sights have to constantly be readjusted, not a good thing on a combat/carry weapon. Stick with fixed sights, you will be much happier. Adjustable sights are for people who shoot bullseye competitions, not combat.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You can try Dawson precision sights, I have some for my tactical or better yet send it to Canyon Creek and have Bomars put on.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I run with Dawson adjustable sights and shoot IDPA. They are bright and you don't need to modify the slide to install them. I have had them on both of my XDs and have not adjusted them since the first time I installed them (over 10,000 rounds on one XD). They are rock solid and will last a lifetime.

As for adjustable sights not being for combat/practical competition, find one competitor at the highest level that does not have adjustable sights. It will be very hard to find one. Many have BoMar sights in the rear and a Dawson in the front.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
manygunner said:
What the heck do you want adjustable sights for? Especially for IDPA. One thing I learned was that adjustable sights have to constantly be readjusted, not a good thing on a combat/carry weapon. Stick with fixed sights, you will be much happier. Adjustable sights are for people who shoot bullseye competitions, not combat.
I've heard that in magazines before, which cracks me up because 1) on my adjustable sighted guns, I have never had to readjust more than once over couple of years, and 2) this is not a combat weapon, it is for IDPA. And yes, having your weapon dialed in for accuracy is critical in IDPA, since you regularly have to engage targets out to 25 yards, and occasionally as far as 35 yards. Fixed sights that shoot three inches low and an inch left at 25 yards do me no good at those distances.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I shoot both IDPA and USPSA. Go with the Dawsons.

Contrary to what you may have heard regarding adjustable sights, they do not need constant adjusting.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I have the Bomar melt in done by Canyon creek on my competition gun. Now I haven't had it all that long, but I am now hitting more consistently because I was able to adjust the sights to bring my sight picture and poi in sync. No need to aim high/low anymore. After my initial sight adjustment, I've now put ~400 rds through it and no need for adjustment.

·
Registered
176 Posts
"Please keep in mind that the sights need to be somewhat low-profile, since IDPA competitions require you to draw from a concealed carry, and speed is critical."

While got rid of own XD Tac have used Bo-Mars for yrs on 1911's and a Glock 34 & 21.
Tried Dawson's but deciced to have EGW mill Bo-Mars into the slide. The front sight height on Dawson or for use with the Bo-Mar using the OEM dovetail on the Glocks is a whopping .275". The EGW mill is cut as low as possible and still requires a ca. .240 front. {Don't expect the XD to be able to go lower as it is also a striker fired gun}
That said, while the front did drag on the inside front of the holster, it still was not much of a problem at all, IME.
With this set-up and the right holster {Cen-Dex Storm} it will put two to COM at 7 M in 1.5 sec. and 1.75 sec. @ 10m.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts