Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I'm pretty much a newbee to pistol shooting. Just got an xds in .45, 3.3 in. It seems to be shooting low. Although I will do some more shooting from a rest, I was wondering if there are adjustable rear sights made for this gun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have an experienced shooter try it.

Very unlikely it's the gun; however, in the event it WERE the gun, the only "adjustment" necessary would be to get a taller front sight post.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Very unlikely it's the gun; however, in the event it WERE the gun, the only "adjustment" necessary would be to get a taller front sight post.
Agreed that it is unlikely to be the gun, but a taller front sight will make it shoot *lower*.

Move the front sight in the opposite direction you want the point of impact (POI) to change. Move the rear sight in the same direction you want the POI to change.

So, taller rear sight makes POI go up, taller front sight makes POI go down.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
With these smaller pistols, often the solution to shooting "off point of aim" is not a sight problem, but a problem of trigger control. This chart gives a pretty good idea of what trigger actions can throw your shots low as you are experiencing.

$Target Matrix.jpg

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Welcome from Georgia

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Why would you want adjustable sights on a purley defensive firearm?
I think the OP is just expecting adjustable sights to correct his tendency to shoot low. Don't think his issue is really a sight problem as much as it is likely to be a trigger and grip issue, and just learning to shoot one of these little pistols.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I have always been instructed Low and/or Left are almost always Operator Errors...XDS is an interesting choice for a first handgun since it presents a few quirks other platforms don't...give a supported position a try and/or let a more experienced shooter give it a run--as suggested...

also having someone else load your magazines and sub in dummy rounds or snap-caps will instantly diagnose a "twitch"

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Hi All, I'm pretty much a newbee to pistol shooting. Just got an xds in .45, 3.3 in. It seems to be shooting low. Although I will do some more shooting from a rest, I was wondering if there are adjustable rear sights made for this gun.
Welcome to a great sport and hobby. :)

Since you're just starting out, consider this article, written by two-time Top Shot runner-up and former Federal Air Marshal, Chris Cerino:

TRAINING TIPS: Need a sight adjustment? Think again! - TheGunMag - The Official Gun Magazine of the Second Amendment FoundationTheGunMag ? The Official Gun Magazine of the Second Amendment Foundation

Before you start looking at potential hardware problems - and yes, they do exist - realize that more often than not, it's the loose nut behind the gun that's the real problem. :p;):D

Shoot the gun from a rest and take as much as yourself out of the equation as possible to see how the gun prints. Even better, get an experienced hand to shoot it (also from a rest).

If there's truly something up with the gun, then pursue the proper fix. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to a great sport and hobby. :)

Since you're just starting out, consider this article, written by two-time Top Shot runner-up and former Federal Air Marshal, Chris Cerino:

TRAINING TIPS: Need a sight adjustment? Think again! - TheGunMag - The Official Gun Magazine of the Second Amendment FoundationTheGunMag ? The Official Gun Magazine of the Second Amendment Foundation

Before you start looking at potential hardware problems - and yes, they do exist - realize that more often than not, it's the loose nut behind the gun that's the real problem. :p;):D

Shoot the gun from a rest and take as much as yourself out of the equation as possible to see how the gun prints. Even better, get an experienced hand to shoot it (also from a rest).

If there's truly something up with the gun, then pursue the proper fix. :)
I have a new 9mm XDS with a 4" barrel that shoots about 2" low at 7 yards and about 3" low at 10 yards.
I set the sights the same as with my Buckmark and Hammerli, although I am most always in the "Black"
IMO The XDS are not designed for the 6 o'clock sighting.
I welcome a reply as to what adjustable, yes adjustable, sights I can buy to replace the factory fixed sights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The XDs sights are set to POI = POA meaning NOT 6 O'Clock hold. Put the sights dead on the bullseye and if your trigger pull is good, that is where the round will go.

Bill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts