Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a set of adjustable combat sights for my XD Service 9 mm. I shoot at various ranges, lighting conditions, and will use this as my CCW and Home Defense handgun. I am looking for recommendations.

·
Registered
29,572 Posts
Um.

Are you going to be adjusting your sights when you shoot at different ranges? Not a great idea...and unless you’re going out to 50+ yards, the sights will be pretty much dead on for most of your shooting.

If you are going to be practicing longer range defensive shots (and bravo to you if you are), much better to learn your hold over, because you won’t be adjusting your sights in a gunfight.

If you’re going to be bullseye shooting—get adjustable sights.

If you’re going to be using it for defense...fixed will do just fine, and be a lot more rugged.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
@Cuda66 has good points ... I'd add that adjustable sights add bulk that's not good for ccw, one of your requirements.

Btw fwiw: I own the same xd9 ... carried it before going to smaller ... shot it a lot in competition ... never had desire for adjustable sight

But to answer your request: as @Hollow Point noted, dawson precision probably your best bet. I've had great success with their fiber optic sights.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Um.

Are you going to be adjusting your sights when you shoot at different ranges? Not a great idea...and unless you’re going out to 50+ yards, the sights will be pretty much dead on for most of your shooting.

If you are going to be practicing longer range defensive shots (and bravo to you if you are), much better to learn your hold over, because you won’t be adjusting your sights in a gunfight.

If you’re going to be bullseye shooting—get adjustable sights.

If you’re going to be using it for defense...fixed will do just fine, and be a lot more rugged.
My main consideration is the 6 o'clock aiming for the XD. It is throwing me off. I do shoot at range and can adjust mentally, but also shoot two other handguns and they both have adjustable sights, so I am used to them. I adjust them in and mostly leave them alone. I could go to a gun smith and have them dialed in, but I am undecided. As far as CCW, I used to have a CCW and carried an M1911A1 with adjustable sights, so I am not concerned with the weight. I can also just get used to the 6 o'clock hold, but it is the only firearm I own with it, I naturally focus the sight to center when shooting, I am mentally making the adjustment and it is really annoying me.

·
Registered
29,572 Posts
My main consideration is the 6 o'clock aiming for the XD. It is throwing me off. I do shoot at range and can adjust mentally, but also shoot two other handguns and they both have adjustable sights, so I am used to them. I adjust them in and mostly leave them alone. I could go to a gun smith and have them dialed in, but I am undecided. As far as CCW, I used to have a CCW and carried an M1911A1 with adjustable sights, so I am not concerned with the weight. I can also just get used to the 6 o'clock hold, but it is the only firearm I own with it, I naturally focus the sight to center when shooting, I am mentally making the adjustment and it is really annoying me.
Most aftermarket “duty” sights have a combat sight picture (front dot covering POI).

If that still won’t work, XD's use SIG sight dovetails, and there are different heights available.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most aftermarket “duty” sights have a combat sight picture (front dot covering POI).

If that still won’t work, XD's use SIG sight dovetails, and there are different heights available.
Okay a that's perfect. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts