Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking ...

What is the actual purpose of the striker retainer pin? Is it to limit forward motion? That seems unlikely as the striker is quite broad on the face surrounding the firing pin. That broad area would certainly be able to take more of a pounding than a little pin. Also, after thousands and thousands of no-snap-cap dry fires, my pin still looks untouched. If it had been pounded thousands of times, it aught to look it.

I was wondering if the pin is to keep the orientation of the striker from changing during operation. It would certainly be a low cost way of guaranteeing the proper orientation. And the pin wouldn't need to be very strong as it wouldn't be subject to a pounding.

Does anyone really KNOW what the correct answer is? The above are just my thoughts, but what is the reality?

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
John no one wants to touch this with a 10 foot pole, this has been discussed over and over and over and over and over and over.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................and over again. Your best bet would be to use the search function and sit back for some good reading. You have been with the forum since 2009 so you must have seen some these.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I have read the snot out of them and they are all (seems to me) opinion and assumption. Are there any professional smiths or people from SA on here that have the inside skinny on the true design function?

From the response, I guess not!

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
The Croatians would be the only ones with the info, everyone else would only know what they have been told.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Just lookup the threads where loves2shoot discussed the pin. I would consider him a profession gunsmith.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts