Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I decided to put my NiB-X 19 up for trade on AL just to see what type of offers I would get seeing as I already have one Gen 4 G19 and a second wasn't really needed (still on the hunt for the right Gen 2 19 though).

Low and behold I received a trade offer for a German Sig P228 and after consulting with one of the Sig experts on here :cool: I decided to take the trade. It was straight up my new unfired NiB-X 19 for this guys P228 with one factory 13 round magazine and (6) MecGar 15 round magazines along with a spare parts kit. The night sights are dead so I'll be replacing them with a fresh set. Can't wait to get this puppy out and give her a run. I may send it to 1LLs recommended company for a two tone refinish.

Pics:

:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
That is GREAT, you got it.

Since the frame is in good shape, you can part it out and only send the parts you want refinished.
CCR can take the slide apart though, those double roll pins are a bitch..
Saves a lot on shipping not to have to ship the frame.
But I think it looks pretty sweet as is...

Refinishing only benefits the current owner, it does little to nothing for resale value.
Took me years to realize that....;)

Glad you got it...:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is GREAT, you got it.

Since the frame is in good shape, you can part it out and only send the parts you want refinished.
CCR can take the slide apart though, those double roll pins are a bitch..
Saves a lot on shipping not to have to ship the frame.
But I think it looks pretty sweet as is...

Refinishing only benefits the current owner, it does little to nothing for resale value.
Took me years to realize that....;)

Glad you got it...:mrgreen:
Thanks buddy I wouldn't have pulled the trigger on it without your sound advice :D

I'll shoot it first and it's in amazing shape with just a tad of wear on the rails and a small barrel smiley. Otherwise functions perfect I have no complaints so far. Just need to get a new set of sights ordered. With a loaded mag it feels even better in my hand than my 226 did.

·
Registered
29,830 Posts
Not only is it Sig week, it's German Sig week.

Must be Oktoberfest, or something...

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Nice, looks to be in great shape too. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
If you like the sights that are on it, this guy sells them pretty cheap on eBay..

New Sig Sauer Siglite Front and Rear Night Sights 8 and 8 | eBay

He says they a stock Sig sights but buy at your own risk.

You will need an 8 front and 8 rear sight for that P228..
If you look closely at the front and rear sight you should see a number 8 on them.

If you just want the Sig contrast (stock) sights, I think I have a set of 8/8 around here somewhere I can sell you pretty cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Nice! So is it German or W. German? I've been pretty close to getting a W. German 228 a few times, but cash flow and availability never seemed to mesh.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you like the sights that are on it, this guy sells them pretty cheap on eBay..

New Sig Sauer Siglite Front and Rear Night Sights 8 and 8 | eBay

He says they a stock Sig sights but buy at your own risk.

You will need an 8 front and 8 rear sight for that P228..
If you look closely at the front and rear sight you should see a number 8 on them.

If you just want the Sig contrast (stock) sights, I think I have a set of 8/8 around here somewhere I can sell you pretty cheap.

Send me a PM and let me know how much you would like for them :)

Nice! So is it German or W. German? I've been pretty close to getting a W. German 228 a few times, but cash flow and availability never seemed to mesh.
The slide says Made in Germany but no it's not a W. German -- I think it was a pretty good trade :D

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Glock for a P Sig? Yeah, a good (great) trade.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Glock for a P Sig? Yeah, a good (great) trade.
^ Even I can agree with that.....;)

West German or not, that is a nice looking NO RAIL Sig P228..:mrgreen:

PMs sent back and forth Chicago2VP71...
We will get this done Monday...

I'm always saying if you can only own one Glock, be it a G19.
So I'll now also say, if you can only own one Sig, be it rail-lees P228..

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^ Even I can agree with that.....;)

West German or not, that is a nice looking NO RAIL Sig P228..:mrgreen:

PMs sent back and forth Chicago2VP71...
We will get this done Monday...

I'm always saying if you can only own one Glock, be it a G19.
So I'll now also say, if you can only own one Sig, be it rail-lees P228..
Preach!

Since it's German and not W. German does this mean the gun was made in Germany and assembled in Exeter? Or was the slide portion made in Germany and the rest made in Exeter?

:D

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Not only is it Sig week, it's German Sig week.

Must be Oktoberfest, or something...
That's for sure. Congrats on the P228 it looks in great shape. It so happened that I just purchased a German P228 too. Yours looks to be in better condition.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Decided to take some additional pictures. Talked with the owner more and he says in it's entire life it's probably seen less than 500 rounds as he prefers his striker fired pistols and couldn't make DA/SA work. I know I've mentioned it already but I can't believe how happy I am I went through with this. :D

There are (4) 15 Round MecGar Magazines, (1) Factory 13 Round Magazine, (1) Flush fitting P226 15 Round Magazine, and (1) 17 Round P226 Magazine that extends a tad with the thin baseplate.

Just realized the factory 13 round magazine has the "Law Enforcement Only" stamp on it. Guessing it has to be 90s made then during the Clinton era?

[/URL]

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow it's in pristine shape, no wonder your so happy.
Yeah I think I stole this deal considering the condition of the gun and the extras included. I would really like to figure out what year exactly it was made in. Does Sig charge for that information or will they provide it free if you call them?

Edit:

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7320040262

Found this on the Sig Forums and it appears it was made in 1999. Nice.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Yeah I think I stole this deal considering the condition of the gun and the extras included. I would really like to figure out what year exactly it was made in. Does Sig charge for that information or will they provide it free if you call them?

Edit:

Sig Sauer Classic P-Series - Serial Number List and associated manufacture/import years/information - Topic

Found this on the Sig Forums and it appears it was made in 1999. Nice.
Never mind--I see you already found it.
Look under the barrel on the dust cover, there are a couple of symbols and a two letter date code. The date can be read from here.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Never mind--I see you already found it.
Look under the barrel on the dust cover, there are a couple of symbols and a two letter date code. The date can be read from here.
Thanks man :) I knew if I didn't find it someone would point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Very nice!

I have a 1991 made W. German P228 and it is one of my favorite shooters.

I believe all the P228s were made in W. Germany.

Enjoy it....they're fantastic shooters.

-brickboy240

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very nice!

I have a 1991 made W. German P228 and it is one of my favorite shooters.

I believe all the P228s were made in W. Germany.

Enjoy it....they're fantastic shooters.

-brickboy240
Thanks BB. I have a new set of Siglite Night Sights coming this week and she will be complete.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts