Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my favorite sight I have ever used is the ACOG. So I decided f*** it, I will save up and put one on my favorite rife, my M1A Scout Squad. I am going with this set up.

- ACOG 4x32 (TA01B)
- TA51 Rail Adapter

I will probably order a scope mount through SA for it.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Let me know how you like it. Also let me know what you do about a cheek weld. That sucker should be up pretty high.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A couple of things you should know before you do that...

First, the ACOG is not made for long eye relief. If you mount it on that forward rail, it's not going to do you any good.

You'll have to get a scope mount that fits on the back, above the action. If you want to go Trijicon, you'll need the TA70 scope mount, which attaches to the side of the receiver, and also to the dovetail where there stripper clip guide normally is. It's a very solid mount, allows you to use the iron sights, and is crazy expensive.

And as has already been mentioned, you're going to need to do something about your cheek weld. My preference would be to replace the factory stock with the JAE-100 G2. If that's too pricey, and you don't mind doing work on your factory stock, the DWP M1A Cheek Rest looks like it could be good.

Just know that once you've set your cheek rest for using the scope, you won't be able to use the iron sights without readjusting the rest.

One last thing. It's an M1A. It shoots .308. You might want more magnification than 4x. Trijicon now makes the ACOG in 6x...

·
Registered
517 Posts
AYou'll have to get a scope mount that fits on the back, above the action. If you want to go Trijicon, you'll need the TA70 scope mount, which attaches to the side of the receiver, and also to the dovetail where there stripper clip guide normally is. It's a very solid mount, allows you to use the iron sights, and is crazy expensive.
$300 to mount a scope?

:shock:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
$300 to mount a scope?

:shock:
I never figured out how to effectively mount a scope on an M1A. I have figured how to shoot scopes loose on M1As. That was easy. My buddy got an M1A Socom and had an SA scope mount professionally installed by a gunsmith who also mounted the scope. After about 75 rounds of MagTech the scope mount shot loose. That is why I never bought an M1A of my own - that and I couldn't afford one.

My buddy ended up going with an extended eye relief scope on the forward scout mount.

Chapie+

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
yeah I used an Acog in Iraq. I will probably buy the SA scope mount, and put it on that, Ive seen it done before.
If you go back and search through the other threads, SVTHuh bought an A.R.M.S. Mount. I personally helped install it. Very sturdy Mf'er. That is the one I would recommend. It is currently USGI. If worried about it shooting loose, use some locktite.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was looking at fulton armory too. I had a mount somewhere from my M14 but I will have to look around.

·
Banned
56 Posts
I love ACOGs too. The best ACOG for .308 is the TA-11E. Has a .308 BDC and long eye relief. But if you have a M1A, I would pass on the ACOG. Many have tried, and everyone I have talked to believe their are better options for the M1A. ACOG's were meant to be mounted to flat top AR's with a straight butt stock, for excellent cheek weld.

If you really want to scope a M1A, you must get a Brookfield type mount such as a Smith or Sadlak mount like the one below. Also you want steel for lifetime durability. Anything else will shoot loose. Sprinfield 3rd Gen mounts are not that great and they will shoot loose too. The Sadlak and Smith's are pricey at about $250 each, but it will be an investment well spent.

A M1A just seems to want to twist the mount off, but brookfield type mounts are sturdy and stay put because they are attached to the stripper clip guide and have 3 contact points.

Once you scope an M1A you will have cheek weld problems, so you will need a cheek pad to correct this.

Or you can get a Troy Stock, which basically turns your M1A into a flat top, in this case an ACOG would not be too bad.

I myself like the Sage stock the best and I think the best mounting technique is using the Larue mount like Fongman from EBRSOPMODS.com did. I like this mounting method as it makes the weapon easier to clean and service, also it looks kickass.

Scoping and playing around with the various stocks is fun but it can get expensive. If you don't have the patients just get an AR-10.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
At my local FUN shop, there was a SOCOM II with a VLTOR rail system that had a top rail run all the way across the action. Googled it and found that they have a contract with SA and you can only get the rails from SA. A good option to get that ACOG back far enough. Cheek weld is up to you to figure out.

Looks like this:

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
That's a Vltor stock, it is basically a modded GI fiberglass stock with a pistol grip and collapsible stock that you can raise for better cheek weld, where the buffer tube extension(no real buffer tube, its not an AR :p ), comes out from the handle. I will end up getting of of these for my M14S to sit in, or the SAGE pictured above.

Welcome to Vltor Weapons Systems you can get a plain one OR it comes with the tri rail too.

Not horribly priced either for just the stock.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I never figured out how to effectively mount a scope on an M1A. I have figured how to shoot scopes loose on M1As. That was easy. My buddy got an M1A Socom and had an SA scope mount...
That explains it. The Springfield mount is quite possibly the biggest piece of junk made for the M1A. If you find one that actually stays put and holds zero, it is the exception, and not the rule. As another poster mentioned, a Smith or Sadlak mount is the way to go. Another option would be the GDI mount: GDI, Inc. | Global Defense Initiatives

In my experience, using the SA mount is a complete waste of time and money, and in the case of an ACOG, you'll only get frustrated that your thousand dollar setup is completely useless. I say do it right the first time around and go with one of the aforementioned mounts. Also, i would recommend a visit to M-14 Firing Line Public Forum - Powered by vBulletin to read about other people's experience with the ACOG on the '14. Most have found that it sits way too high, unless it is combined with the Troy MCS or VLTOR setup.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That explains it. The Springfield mount is quite possibly the biggest piece of junk made for the M1A. If you find one that actually stays put and holds zero, it is the exception, and not the rule. As another poster mentioned, a Smith or Sadlak mount is the way to go. Another option would be the GDI mount: GDI, Inc. | Global Defense Initiatives
The GDI mount is actually the one sold by Trijicon as their TA-70. Trijicon doesn't even bother to put their own name on it, which really confused me when I received mine.

Also, from the GDI site:

The original G1-OSM Gen2 manufactured out of 17-4ph stainless steel, sold at an MSRP of $375.00USD. The GDI Patriot Program will allow ALL, the ability to purchase our premium grade mount for the newly reduced price of $275.00+S&H……..availability permitting.
Well, damn. I paid too much for the Gen2, and now the Gen3 is coming out for a hundred bucks less.

And another thing...if GDI had an MSRP of $375 on the Gen2, why the hell does Trijicon list it at $550? Even MidwayUSA is charging $467.50 for it. Oh noes! Gouging! :shock: ;)

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
ECsTwin, hit it on the head! Smith or Sadlak would be the way to go, if you are going to mount a scope on your M1A. Also, if you have Scout, you might want to rethink about putting an optic on there. The rail for the Scout doesn't dissipate heat very well, so your optic will start to get hot and the possibility of melting something is high! Obviously if you don't shoot round after round after round trying to unload your 20 round mag as fast as you can, then you're probably going to be safe mounting something on there. But I'd rather not take any chances.

Another option is (if you want a long eye relief type scope) is the Ultimak rail, this system will definitely be much better than the rail that the Scout comes with. Also gives you more rail-estate.

But if you do decide to mount an ACOG on your M1A, I'd get the Sadlak steel mount. The aluminum mounts are ok, but you are buying a tool, and you want this tool to last, so steel is the way to go!

For a cheek rest, I like these... M1A M14 CHEEK PAD REST you can order specific sizes to match your needs.

·
Registered
992 Posts
The GDI mount is actually the one sold by Trijicon as their TA-70. Trijicon doesn't even bother to put their own name on it, which really confused me when I received mine.

Also, from the GDI site:

Well, damn. I paid too much for the Gen2, and now the Gen3 is coming out for a hundred bucks less.

And another thing...if GDI had an MSRP of $375 on the Gen2, why the hell does Trijicon list it at $550? Even MidwayUSA is charging $467.50 for it. Oh noes! Gouging! :shock: ;)
Interesting. I now see that Trij is also $elling rebadged Docter Optics red dot sights. :-?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
ECsTwin, hit it on the head! Smith or Sadlak would be the way to go, if you are going to mount a scope on your M1A. Also, if you have Scout, you might want to rethink about putting an optic on there. The rail for the Scout doesn't dissipate heat very well, so your optic will start to get hot and the possibility of melting something is high! Obviously if you don't shoot round after round after round trying to unload your 20 round mag as fast as you can, then you're probably going to be safe mounting something on there. But I'd rather not take any chances.

Another option is (if you want a long eye relief type scope) is the Ultimak rail, this system will definitely be much better than the rail that the Scout comes with. Also gives you more rail-estate.

But if you do decide to mount an ACOG on your M1A, I'd get the Sadlak steel mount. The aluminum mounts are ok, but you are buying a tool, and you want this tool to last, so steel is the way to go!

For a cheek rest, I like these... M1A M14 CHEEK PAD REST you can order specific sizes to match your needs.
If he's buying the scope mount then he doesn't need to worry about the heat.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah I found that out the first time I took it to the range. I stated before that I will be buying a scope mount unless I can find the one that was on my M14.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Just something you might want to look into, I've heard the SA scope mounts aren't the best and that there are more solid mounts out there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts